[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Yikes I have been warned, I guess.
I have bought volumes 2-4, but I’m not planning to read them right now, as I have a lot on my plate right now.
In fact, I’m yet again in a situation where I’m part of too many book clubs and it kills the joy of reading. Blearg. And it’s just going to get worse with ゆるキャン△, 百人一首 and the advanced club. What am I doing.

10 Likes

Death by a thousand cuts books.

11 Likes

:rofl: Sorry for the bad news! I guess it will not be as bad for you because you can read it much faster - I had to look up especially many words in these discussions, which made the story drag out even more…
Curious to hear your verdict, one day!

Hehe, same here :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ve decided to cut down on some of the book clubs though - let’s see how well I can keep up with my promises…

7 Likes

Sure thing!

I try to do that and then a new week comes up and I have to vote in the poll.

5 Likes

Yes, same here… It’s a hard life…

4 Likes

You could vote and not read, but then you’d just be a saboteur!

7 Likes

I’m finding myself strangely grateful that I can happily read the synopses, get excited about most of the club books, and then file the titles away for that distant day when my language skills manage to catch up.

But even so, keeping the number of books I’m reading to a manageable/enjoyable number is proving tricky.

5 Likes

For me, 獣の奏者 has been my only book club activity for a while. I read a bunch of manga (and more recently books too) on my own, but just the one book in the book clubs. Nothing in the current intermediate book club nominations interests me (yes, I know I could have made a nomination) and only one or two from the advanced book club. But if I do join the advanced book club one, it’ll have to replace my individual book reading, because I definitely can’t do both.

4 Likes

If you’re only worried about font size, then digital editions of books don’t have that problem (unlike manga). The font size is adjustable, just like in English language ebooks. Furigana also adjusts if you’re concerned about that. To reduce eye strain when reading ebooks I also set the background to black with white font. I should mention that I use Kindle books. It may be different with BookWalker or other services.

6 Likes

I know that’s one of the reasons I prefer reading an e-book.

Physical book vs e-book text size comparison photo

IMG_20200708_110854s

But if I were reading on a smartphone or tablet, it’d be a bad experience for me. That’s why I bought a larger-sized e-reader, so I could read comics on an e-ink screen rather than on a tablet.

5 Likes

I hate reading English on smartphones or tablets, but I found it’s a very different experience with Japanese. Maybe I don’t get strained in the same way because kanji are kind of like pictures.

3 Likes

In the BookWalker app you can also change the font size. You can also choose different background colors: White, cream (light yellow-ish), sepia (somewhat light brown-ish), and black (with white text ofc).
Other adjustable settings are the space between lines and the margins around the page, plus you can change the font (it toggles between “App Font” and “System Font” but they seem to be the same on my iPad, I cannot see any difference).
/cc @d-hermit

5 Likes

@Naphthalene @NicoleIsEnough

Pained agreement about too many book clubs. Right now I’m mostly doing okay but might be close to my max and am looking at 1Q84 and whatever the advanced book club chooses and also ゆるキャン△ is coming back and…

8 Likes

Wow, nice! Thanks for the info!

I have some LNs on BookWalker but they seemed like images. I now see that font size can be changed and I also discovered it’s possible to select characters on long press. Couldn’t find the background color options though.

Edit: it’s available in the mobile app but not in the browser viewer.

4 Likes

I didn’t read anything for a few weeks but now I’m back to business. Right in time for the 6 month check-in.

I knew it was coming when I set my reading goals for 2020: at least one longer break from reading. Thanks to setting my goals factoring in a long break from reading, I think I can still reach my goals of reading at least 5 books and 5 mangas in 2020.

So far:

Books 1/5

• Kitty Detectives 2

Reaching this goal will be the hardest but is still manageable, I think. …as long as I don’t take another long break from reading. I’m currently reading Doggy Detectives volume 1 and one of the Naze books with the absolute beginner book club and I’m sure I will finish them. I’m also reading Kiki but I’m not so sure about finishing that one… I will try, though! :muscle:t2: So that will make either 2 or 3 more finished books for 2020. I have to go for at least one more book later this year. Maybe I will try to pick up Zenitendou 1 again after (hopefully!) finishing Kiki.

Mangas 2/5

• Sailor Moon 1
  • Flying Witch 1

Currently reading: Fruits Basket volume 1. I will probably read volume 2 after finishing volume 1 as well. The absolute beginner book club will start reading Big Brother Rental volume 1 next month. So I’m pretty sure I will reach my goal of reading 5 mangas and might actually read more than that if interesting picks come up in the book clubs (otherwise I will return to Sailor Moon after finishing Big Brother Rental volume 1).

10 Likes

I just figured I’d say that まんがタイムKRコミックス seems to be having a sale on the ebook versions of some of their manga at the moment, for instance the first three volumes of yuru camp and こみっくがーるず, as well as the whole series of うらら迷路帖, and 1-3 volumes of various other series all seem to be on sale for 77 yen each.

(I only checked bookwalker and amazon, so I can’t say anything about other stores, but they’re at least on sale there)

6 Likes

I figured I’d add a comment after lurking this thread for a few months. Picked up ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖 after seeing Naphthalene mention it a few times. It was a nice read.

Some of the mysteries were solved with reasoning that felt slightly too far-fetched but overall I really liked how they were set up and executed. Might re-read it at some point so I can see all the clues in advance. Question is whether I should continue the series or not. It was a fine standalone book.

I also couldn’t remember the pronounciation of all the names. Lots of characters and authors to remember.

11 Likes

I’m glad to hear that :relaxed:

Up to volume 5 or so, I’d say it’s more of the same. I really liked the atmosphere of that book, so it was a no brainer to keep going. At the same time, I think that, as a Japanese learner, it’s important to diversify. Once you get used to the style of an author, reading gets easier… but that also means that you’re not getting as much out of it (in terms of learning) as you could. (Also, considering that’s a series with a kind of pattern, I feel it’s not a good idea to binge it, or you may get bored)

4 Likes

Damn and I just got the first volume of うらら迷路帖 in physical version. With this sale I could have gotten the whole series for far less than the one volume. :sweat_smile: Granted, I really like physical copies of Manga Time manga because they are oversized. With that said, for this price I’m just gonna buy the whole series anyway, even if I’m still a bit annoyed!

Thanks for sharing this awesome sale with us. I’ll probably buy volume 1 of a handful of their series so I can try them out. Any series in particular that you’d recommend?

I’ll look through everything available later today, but I’d recommend こみっくがーるず. I’ve read the first three volumes so far (I own all six released to date) and while I don’t like it quite as much as ご注文はうさぎですか, it’s still quite entertaining.

5 Likes

So far I bought all seven volumes of うらら迷路帖, volume 1 of 恋する小惑星, and volume 1 of New Game. I’ll look through more thoroughly later since there’s a bunch of series on sale that I’ve never heard of.

4 Likes