[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Small update:

This month I’ve been trying to push the habit of reading in Japanese. During December, I read 15 volumes of 鬼滅の刃. I can see myself maintaining this speed (because the habit formation is not fully there), which would have me reading 180 volumes of manga in 2020 :heart_eyes:

Let’s see :eyes:

Maybe I’ll read books in English during the other half of the month

13 Likes

Oh, I guess I should set my goal for next year to 181 one volumes then :slight_smile:

(or whatever you read+1, maybe :wink: )

10 Likes

Sounds like you’re turning this into work by setting such a lofty goal. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I like big numbers :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I like doing this. 100 pages of a manga (depending on the manga) a day doesn’t sound like much, but that’s 180 vols in 1 year. 50p/day is 90 vols/year. 25p/day is 45vols/year ^^

It adds a lot of perspective to small but daily achievements. Insignificant on their own, significant with time :DD And reading the first 25/50/100 pages is always the hardest. Then it only get easier with time.

5 Likes

I read that as points first :eyes:

3 Likes

Yes I’ll make 50 points a day, just watch me :eye:

3 Likes

I prefer to savor my manga. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh, I do too xD Before starting reading manga, I totally expected not to enjoy it tbh. Turns out I actually do.

6 Likes

Same. I never really liked comic books or other graphical mediums growing up, so I didn’t expect to like manga either.

3 Likes

Internet is really messed up here, so I don’t think I’ll be able to update the thread until the third.

5 Likes

My goal for 2020 is 20/20. 20 books in Japanese, 20 books in English.

I think for Japanese I’m going to start off with continuing the Ascendancy of a Book Worm series since I recently started watching the anime and it’s made me feel all warm inside just like the books do. But I don’t want it to overtake where I’m at so I need to finish the 2nd part soon.

For English I think I’m going to go with The Tent by Margaret Atwood. After reading the Night Market, one of the things I want to do this year is read more books that are short story collections.

16 Likes

Oooohhhh I like that idea! I said I’d stay with my goal for 10 books, but I feel like now I want to challenge myself to 20 because you said it and i like nice numbers :joy:

5 Likes

Same - 20/20 for 2020 does seem like it would be a fun goal. :joy:

7 Likes

But if you stick to that pattern, it would mean you can’t increase the amount of Japanese books for a looong time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyways, I’ll take the easy route this time around and propose 10/10 as my goal for 2020.
10 proper books and 10 manga, that is.

6 Likes

Usually I don’t read that long books, but if there’s a good one I’ll read it!

2 Likes

Guess I’ll try to finish a book and a manga before then so I don’t have to start from 0 in that case!

4 Likes

Wow, kudos. I just finished that book with my tutor after … Way too long pf working through it, and it was one of the hardest bits of reading I’ve done so far. Occasionally even my (native) tutor got confused by the Chinese-like vocabulary, and that last page was so complicated that we both gave up on it…

Now onwards to Taiki!!

2 Likes

So after talking to everyone here, I tried a few different approaches and I think I decided on something. The thing is, I read a lot but I don’t read a lot of books which is what I need to work on. So my goal right now is to get into a consistent reading schedule with books. I bought this book in Japan which is an overview of major points in Japanese history

It’s a book for kids in elementary/middle school so all the confusing names have furigana which makes reading a lot more natural. It’s pretty well at that really easy 98% comprehension sort of level. Every event has its own two-page section which makes it quite easy to chunk out how much to read each day. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to read because I get distracted and keep reading the same sections over and over or zone out entirely. Honestly, some days it’s a bit of a struggle. But because the sections are so short and simple, it makes it a lot easier to keep going.
Other times it takes me 5 minutes then I find I’m in such a reading mood I can continue reading other books for a little bit. It’s a lot easier to get myself to do a small task that builds up to a bigger one than saying “read X pages of this novel every day.”

I estimate that the book will take about a month and half to finish. Afterwards I can move onto another history book I already had. This one has a similar 2-page/topic setup but it’s written for adults.

No furigana, smaller font, more complicated and fleshed out explanations. This one would take me about half a year to finish. So altogether my goal for the year is to finish 2, maybe 3 books. It might not be a lot but I haven’t finished a single book in years. I just hope I don’t fall off of it once classes start. But I’m hoping that putting it out there will help me feel more accountable.

8 Likes

Did you find Steins;Gate more difficult than Higurashi? Language-wise, I’ve found Higurashi to be a never-ending challenge whereas with Steins;Gate I was more confused about the math and science concepts (not language related). 2ch slang can be an adjustment though if you’re not used to it. That being said, I only made it until midway through Chapter 2 of Steins;Gate before my save corrupted and I haven’t restarted yet.

It’s really good to read a broad variety of stuff like that! Are there any you liked in particular?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve played enough of STEINS;GATE to compare them :sweat_smile: For me it was like this:
started playing Higurashi → got overwhelmed → started playing STEINS;GATE → got overwhelmed even more → went back to Higurashi → Higurashi feels pretty manageable.

In Higurashi the main difficulties for me are:

• the words that I don’t encounter in everyday life, like 生贄, 鉈 or 鍬
  • newspaper articles (I don’t read newspapers)
  • sometimes I don’t completely understand some jokes, but they are not essential for the story

Other than those I find it quite easy to follow especially the dialogues which I can understand only by listening 95% of the time.

4 Likes