[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

So! As I said, I did like the book itself,
especially the first part, when all main characters finally meet (or, more like ヴァン meet the others, I guess). That was satisfying.
I was happy to see the young assistant from volume 2 (who felt super suspicious at the time) being indeed involved. Hints of the bigger political scale, explaining why the power that be let things get that bad, was also interesting. And I love Yuna. HOWEVER! There is so much I would have liked to see that I didn’t, like Yuna taking a more important part than just at the end. We also don’t know what ever happened to ヴァン and the others. Considering the other book set in the other universe is unrelated to them, I guess they just live forever in the forest or something?
Speaking of that, when I saw the title of the last part, I immediately thought “oh god please no”. As I type this, I just realize it was the title of the series all along, I should have realized immediately… :sweat_smile:

Anyway, in the end, all those stuff were nice, but it feels like it was either too much, or not enough. Kinda 中途半端 in my opinion, but I would still give it 8/10.

In the time I was reading that book, I read three and a half light novels.
転移先は薬師が少ない世界でした 2: one of the books I panic bought back in December. I’m half done with those now! Overall, it was kinda meh. I did think the first volume was okay-ish, but the writing style was a bit too basic. Well, that trend just continues. The main character meets any dude, it usually goes: “he is beautiful! 眼福!”
Yes? But in what way? Come on, you have to give me something to work with here.
At times, it feels like “a bunch of hot dudes are doing stuff while looking extra hot; the details are left as an exercise to the reader.”
Additionally, those who do not look good are either kids or bad people. Please enjoy your pre-digested pulp. Even the “love tension” between the main character and the main love interest fell a bit flat: she is an orphan at the bottom rung of society while he is a high ranking noble; but it feels really bland after reading 伯爵と妖精 :confused:
I guess I’ll still keep that series for sick days when I can barely think.

本好き 29: because of course I would. We finally entered my absolute favorite part of the whole series, so I had a blast. It felt very short, but it was still 400 pages :sweat_smile:

虫かぶり姫 1: I knew nothing about that series, except that it often makes to the top of the Booklive 女性向け light novel rankings. I randomly bought when it was discounted back in February. It turned out to be not at all what I expected. The premise is that (not a spoiler, since it’s both what’s on the back of the book and what is explained in the first couple of pages) the main character is a mid-ranking house’s 令嬢 who became the fiancee of the crown prince. The choice comes from the fact that her house is not so low that the match is impossible, while not belonging to any of the current political groups, the idea being to keep things in balance and avoiding conflicts. She doesn’t really care much about her position; anyway she wants to do nothing more than read all day. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked she noticed her fiancé being all friendly with another woman.
… at least, that’s the topic of the first part. There are two more, each having the feeling of a short story, with the same characters after a small time skip at a time. It’s fun, but the lack of true overarching plot doesn’t really push me to keep reading. I’ll probably get back to it, though.

Finally, I am currently halfway through ふつつかな悪女ではございますが 1. Same thing as 虫かぶり姫, it’s often high ranking, and it was discounted, so… つい.
At first, I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to read it, since it contains a plot element that I usually can’t stand (the two main characters swap bodies, which usually lead to a bunch of embarrassing situations, which is the part I can’t stand). So far, though, no such thing happened, since, due to plot, both characters are currently isolated right now. I don’t how long it will go on, though.
More spoilers, for background:
the story takes place in the 後宮, and specifically in the place where the 5 future wives (one from each of the 5 main noble families) of the 皇太子 are living. 慧月, one of the five, is constantly ridiculed by literally everyone for her lack of skill and her garbage personality. For some reason, she blames it all on 玲琳, the one who everyone loves “just because she is frail and have a bit of skills” (or so 慧月 thinks). Well, 慧月 has one particular skill, black magic (note from self: girl, that sounds really far from being incapable of doing anything… couldn’t you get more out of it at an earlier stage?). So she stages a failed murder attempt of 玲琳 in public, and swap at the exact moment she fails. The plan was that “慧月” would then get executed, and she would just enjoy a good life from there on. Her miscalculation was that 玲琳 isn’t just frail, she is constantly on the brink of death due to her incredibly weak constitution. In fact 玲琳 is basically doping herself constantly so that she can manage to just look frail. And of course 慧月 doesn’t know how to do that, so she currently bed ridden (and even have to use her magic for an emergency call to 玲琳 to get the proper medication and not die at some point).
Meanwhile, 玲琳 has a mental of steel due to being constantly faced by death, and a hard worker too. She somehow managed to not only avoid the death penalty, but also to get all charges against her dropped. Still, that’s not overturning the attitude of the previous owner of her current body, and she also got a 7 day period of isolation to reflect on things. She is currently making good use of that time (and of her healthy body; who’d thunk it was so much easier to train when you don’t have a crazy fever, surprised pikachu face).
That being said, I am reaching the end of the isolation period, and a public event. The event features the future wives dancing and, while I’m not worried for “慧月”, 玲琳 is supposed to a master, “玲琳” would probably ridicule herself. She is planning to call in sick, but her family is known for their grit, and I don’t think event her servant would let that fly.

9 Likes

Sylph liking this post made me go back and look at it, and I was way off the money. I ended up reading more garbage anyways and 二番目 had nothing to do with it! I started reading 娘じゃなくて私が好きなの!? and so far its pretty poggers, but I can’t say anything for certain yet. Kinda wish I would have just held off till golden week and just zoomed them since I can’t read them at work anyways. My pitch accent stuff is really just srsing words at this point since I have all the patterns down I want to learn, so I guess my free time will be just learning more j1k yojijukugo :man_dancing: . I could also study for the N1 Guess thats what ill have to do since I have no other options.

Oh yeah @Naphthalene I showed/asked my coworkers about 地獄変 today and for the most part they seemed doubtful they could read it. Though, to be fair one of them had trouble remembering the 迅 and 珈 kanji when she was putting in names the other day and had to ask, so that individual might be below the average level lol. The only one that said she could read it HAS read it, and as you might expect it was the one person who did notably better than the other teachers on my anki reviews. Like I remember she was the only one who was able to get (apparently hard???) ones like 既の所で and 磔 which kinda baffled me, but my other coworkers inability aside I think she is just better. So I guess maybe its just one of those things where people who read can read it and people who don’t read at all will struggle?

7 Likes

Oh hey, I didn’t know the kanji version of the first one, but I have heard it. I assume a native speaker would know it, but not the kanji version if they don’t read that much. 磔, though, I not only didn’t know, but I would not have expected to come across ever. Well, one of the administrative staff at my work converted to Christianity (even changed their legal first name after being baptized), so, maybe, if I talk with them long enough it might come up?

I mean, I assume that’s the same in every language. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah they didn’t know すんでのところで even without kanji and the music teacher explained it to them. Apparently its common in 落語 or something. 磔 I thought would be a pretty well known one because of the whole jesus thing. Theres not really another more common word for it afaik and I thought they would know the kanji since its also in like 磔刑 and stuff, but idk maybe I just got lucky stumbling across those words a few times lol.

I donk think it was clear, so to clarify the statement was referring to 地獄変 and “one of those things” meaning one piece of writing. In other words, its of a difficulty level that causes it to filter out people who don’t read.

2 Likes

Well, I was thinking of 笑点, which is a 落語-ish TV program, so that fits.

Expect for that one person at work, I haven’t heard of Christianity at all in Japan :sweat_smile: That being said, my sample is obviously biased. Still, I’m not surprised that, out of a random group of people, a bunch don’t know anything about it.

Ah, I see. Yes, I think, in that sense, it’s probably at that level.

[Sorry for the double post, I was not sure where more potentially interested people will see this…]

For those of you who are interested in Mori Ougai and who can understand German, there is a talk about him on 2022-04-21T16:00:00Z that will also be streamed on Youtube:

It’s not very clear from that page but the stream will show up here.

5 Likes

Do you know if they will leave the video on youtube? Or is it stream only?

Anyway, I came here to talk about ふつつかな悪女ではございますが 2 because it’s amazing so far (also, the main part of volume 1 ends on a cliffhanger; the extra stories were nice and all, but, seriously, not now) . [Major spoilers ahead]

In volume 1, 慧月 is presented as the villain, which I thought slightly weak, since, based on the parts from her point of view, she is more of a Re:Zero Subaru class annoying protagonist. Weeeellll, she is. The real villain seems to be, so far, the 朱 貴妃. In world, the 皇后 and each of the 4 妃 are supposed to guide and train the 5 ひめ who will be the wives of the next emperor (so, the current crown prince). It is revealed in this volume that 朱 貴妃, while being supposedly the tutor of 慧月, was instead gaslighting her hard into thinking that she is a worthless piece of garbage, all the while saying how amazing 玲琳 is. Of course, 朱 貴妃 taught 慧月 nothing (no poetry, dancing, over even proper posture) and 慧月 has a low upbringing, so she is, in fact, pretty much garbage by the court standards. That leads 慧月 (with the proper hints, of course) to have an absolutely horrible personality and be hated by everyone, automatically perpetuating the vicious cycle. Then 朱 貴妃, who knows of 慧月’s magical skills, just drops

「いっそ、道術で黄玲琳と入れ替わればよかったことですのにね」

I was surprised, so far, that despite being such a nice person, 朱 貴妃’s palace was such a pit of writhing snakes. She had me too.
Still, I feel like it’s a tad too big, but at that point 慧月 probably isn’t in the right mindset to think critically and swallows it whole, hook, line, and sinker. Leading us to the beginning of the story, where she indeed swaps.

HOWEVER, I feel this is still a red herring, or, more specifically, that there’s more to it. I think the real mastermind is 黄 皇后. She absolutely loves her protégée, 黄玲琳, and can’t stands to see her being continuously fighting her chronic diseases. It makes sense that she would think “if only she had a healthy body”. So, then she could have just put pressure on 朱 貴妃 to bring 慧月 as her family’s ひめ (assuming that the 皇后 knew about her before hand, which is a bit of a stretch) and have the swap. Then 慧月 would just quietly die as she doesn’t know how to maintain 玲琳’s body (which is shown through flashbacks to take daily medicine that 玲琳 developed herself, minutely tuned to keep everything in balance). The 皇后 is happy because her dear 玲琳 is healthy, 朱 貴妃 is happy because her family will get the next 皇后 (it’s a bit of a Batman gambit, but 玲琳 can absolutely climb back up the social ladder; in fact, she’s already halfway there after just a few days), 玲琳 is of course happy because she can do everything she wanted to without fearing to collapse, 慧月 is ded. From the 皇后’s point of view, that’s a Win-Win-Win-Who cares, or a W4 if you will. That explains why, towards the end of volume 1, when “玲琳” lost consciousness and was obviously on the brink of death, the 皇后’s reaction was “yeah, well, sh*t happens, you know”. She is known to like grit above all else, but that still sounded a bit rough :sweat_smile:
Well, an alternative theory is that, while keeping the same scheme, it’s 朱 貴妃 who initiated it. In any case, I thought it was very strange the 皇后 would not notice the change, but if she knows about it…

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but looking at the youtube channel, there are already two other talks there (from last month) so I have high hopes that they will leave that one there as well. It seems to be a talk series celebrating the 100th anniversary of the museum (Museum Folkwang in Essen, Germany).

Are you planning to resurrect your German skills to listen to it? :star_struck:

3 Likes

I thought I’d give a try, at least. Time to make good use of the slowdown feature on Youtube :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I finally finished 魔法少女育成計画 book 4. As mentioned before, it was a collection of short stories and surprisingly I enjoyed most of them. Part of the reason it took me so long to read this book (two months) was that I was on a manga binge for the first time in over a year. For the last year or more I always completed 1-4 volumes of manga between each book completed (I read them in parallel). Between finishing 本好き 14 and this I read 14 volumes of manga. This included:

• お兄ちゃんはおしまい 5
  • おとなになっても 4-5
  • うらら迷路帖 3-4
  • とつくにの少女 1-3
  • シャドーハウス 8-9
  • まちカドまぞく 2
  • ぼくらのへんたい 4-5
  • 星屑テレパス 1

Shout out to 星屑テレパス for being an excellent new Manga Time Kirara series. The premise is pretty weird though. High school girl is awkward and wishes she could have an alien as a friend, so naturally a girl at school then randomly proclaims to be an alien and becomes her friend. (It’s unclear whether she is actually an alien.) Besides that it’s been mostly about those two girls and a some others making soda bottle rockets, with the (pretty absurd) goal of building a manned rocket that can get to space. But the volume 2 cover does show them building an actual (small) rocket instead of using soda bottles, so progress I guess. Only two volumes published so far, but hopefully this series lasts a while, because I’ve been enjoying it.

10 Likes

Finished 時々ボソッとロシア語でデレる隣のアーリャさん. This has been topping the charts in Japan for some time. Well, despite an unconventional “gimmick”, it was a pretty standard tropy romcom. The premise is that Arya is a tsundere, but then she blurts out dere lines (affection) in Russian. Little does she know the MC also knows Russian! Learned it from watching Russian movies with his grandpa or something ridiculous :D.

Most frustrating part was some of the needless pantsu situations. And when it was revealed that one of the bombshell perfect-in-every-way osananajimi girls was actually secretly the the MC’s stepsister I lost it. Cue awkward sexual teasing… Sigh. Getting also tired of these perfect people; could authors write some characters that could be just a bit more “real”? I didn’t really end up liking the main heroine, which probably is the main appeal here.

Well, it was pretty well written, at least.

13 Likes

god that sounds like such a TERRIBLE and GARBAGE work. I will NOT be reading that in the future now that I know what UNFORTUNATE themes it chooses to have.

13 Likes

Really like this typesetting. Somehow makes reading feel less heavy. Got reinvigorated to reading 化物語 after getting the physical edition; it’s refreshingly different with a box of it’s own.

What’s the deal with some paperbacks having 18 columns? Makes it seem super busy and I just dread seeing pages like this :sweat_smile::

(All You Need is Kill)

Most LN seem to have 16, but not sure how standard this is.

9 Likes

Read and finished mommy ln today before doing my yojis, and gotta say it was pretty good.

Semi sketchy cover

Probably gonna continue reading the series and finally finish it. The main character is 20 and a normal dude so I guess hes a bit more at a relatable age (im 22) than some highschool inkyas. Overall pretty wholesome story I would say. It’s definitely not realistic necessarily and doesn’t take itself too seriously, but its a surprisingly wholesome and purehearted story. Its nice to see an older heroine (30) since usually its either same age or younger I feel like. I don’t know if I can even name something I watched or read where the main character gets with a girl 5+ years older than him. Let alone someone with a daughter (although in this case shes not her actual daughter). Deffos a recommendation from me for anyone interested in wholesome older heroine. At first I was like…man depending on how they do this premise things could be really weird and awkward. But honestly, it was done nicely.

Boring reading speed stuff

While reading, I busted out the timer again to try and measure my reading speed, and it ended up at just under 22k/hr or about 80 pages/hr based off of the books amazon page. Looking at other peoples numbers who are a similar level to me, though, I still feel like this is a bit slow. Im definitely getting faster, but its hard to tell if thats just because of repetition while reading or an active effort to read faster and not subvocalize. Realistically its probably a mixture of both. Theres also the issue of it being the first volume. I imagine reading speed naturally goes up the more of a single work/series you read since you get used to the writing speed…maybe?

Not subvocalizing is still really hard though and I only do it like 10-20% of the time I feel. Its definitely like a switch I have to flip in my head and it takes effort to stay in that mode. I just naturally fall out of it if I’m not concentrating. On that front, I cant imagine theres anything to do except keep trying it until I can either keep that switch on 100% of the time or it becomes natural enough to where I don’t need to flip a switch period. I do notice a mental burden though. Like I read 120 pages today, which usually wouldn’t impact me mentally, but I do feel a slight mental fatigue that I would have to attribute to trying to subvocalize. Its weird how it takes effort to literally do less work (not reading it), but its just such an ingrained habit. Even in english I’ve never not subvocalized. Or I guess I always do a little bit, would be a better way of putting it.

6 Likes

… That looks like back pain.

Oh! I can! At the top of my head, there’s “紅霞後宮物語”, “忍者だけど、OLやってます” (at least he acts younger, I don’t remember if it’s actually the case), and the shota in ハメフラ (although he is just one of the potential love interests of マリア, not sure if that will work out or not).
That being said, the opposite is indeed overwhelmingly common.

I don’t know, it seems pretty fast to me :sweat_smile: That has to be the fastest I can read, in any language.
In fact, I was just thinking today that my reading speed of ふつつかな悪女ではございますが is abysmal, as I keep getting stuck on stuff

like this (mild spoiler)

You know, gotta catch all the details. Like, for instance, dude on the left has vertical pupils, like a cat or snake. What is up with that.

Also, abs.

11 Likes

Interesting, I didnt know the shinobi one even had love interests. And the other one I dont know. Honestly, if I had to choose either I like older, so I guess its more of a personal preference so its sad to see the opposite be so prevalent as you said. I guess guys just like younger girls on average, so authors usually go for that?

Hmm, I mean you did mention that you read in your head and all that, so that probably affects it. Also, I mined like 3 or 4 words from the whole book, so its not like it was challenging content for me. If I read muramasa or something im sure ill be a lot slower. So I guess its in the context of “trying to read something not challenging for you quickly”. Nice abs tho!

2 Likes

For some reason *cough* abs *cough* inquiring minds would like to know if it is any good.

4 Likes

Speaking of, the first volume is half off digitally if you’re interesting in checking it out.

3 Likes

Well, yes, I assume it does. But at the same time, that’s the faster I can get and still enjoy the story, I think. Any faster than that and it feels like I’m having information force-fed into my brain.

As yes, the eternal quest for knowledge. Well, in terms of illustrations, I’m afraid that’s the only one I found err interesting (it’s from a bonus story at the end of volume 2). The plot, though, was really good, as far as I am concerned. Also, volume 2 marks the end of an arc, so that’s a good place to stop, making the series low commitment.
I bought them discounted, so I didn’t think about it too much but the full price tag is bad, though :scream:

4 Likes

I think 22k characters/hour is pretty fast. My usual speed is between 8k and 15k depending on the material and I don’t think I’ll get much faster. There’s also no way I’d read 80 pages / hour even in my native language.

7 Likes