[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

God bless @Sylph

Honestly is nice to know that my works goes towards something

9 Likes

hi been missing you hope you’re doing good :wave:

4 Likes

Aaaaand I’m now done with volume 8.
Actually, thinking back about what I told @morteasd and @Belthazar, I actually noticed that there’s at least one “new” character per volume (“new” because on a few occasions that character appeared in a previous book but simply didn’t do anything of interest up to that point).
Anyway. The current volume focuses on world building! Woohoo! We now get to know about five countries: Sorcier where the story takes place, Le-Sable where キース almost got sold into slavery, Eternel which is across the sea and the other two. No, they apparently do not deserve a name yet. They are very important, though, as the former queen comes from one of them. We are trading a lot of things with them. Like, stuff.

Some (inadvertent of course) romance with a new character, some action (which was nice!). I was slightly annoyed that during the fight scene Pochi did not just appear and straight up eat the assailants. I was more pleased to learn later that it was because (MAJOR SPOILER) he was just too busy making セラ (the last boss) have a bad day. With no buff from カタリナ. Pochi just rules. It was interesting to learn that having a (dark) familiar should basically eat your soul and leave you an empty husk (as hinted at in volume 6) but カタリナ seems to just be immune. Well, she is the chosen one (of darkness) after all. (End of major spoiler)
On the romance side, that was a busy book, with basically every major targets having an “event” with her. I still feel like ジオルド is the best, though, and I really don’t see the story ending with anyone else marrying her. At this point, I’m starting to feel more interested in seeing their relationship develop rather than getting more of the eternal will-they-wont-they.
That’s a lot of spoilers :sweat_smile: I felt great I could mostly control myself last volume… I guess I reached my limits.
On to volume 9

5 Likes

I can’t read this but last night I finally started reading volume 1! So maybe eventually (?)
*Villainy intensifies*

I’m already in so many bookclubs I’m not sure I should be starting more stuff but I just had a lot of fun with the Floflo experiment so I’ve decided to do the same with this one except only adding words with frequency >= 5, so it can be finished in about a month. That’s the theory but I might not read everyday, just going to have fun with this. And who doesn’t want to find a new guilty pleasure?

I’ll be back with the data.

7 Likes

I appear to be watching the Fortune Lover anime. I hope you’re happy, @Naphthalene :man_facepalming:

it’s pretty hecking cute honestly

7 Likes

no u

5 Likes

blushes furiously

8 Likes

The 多読 thread is turning into an unofficial 乙女ゲーム[…] book club :rofl: what have I done I feel validated in my guilty pleasure

18 Likes

Then, everything changed when the fire nation attacked. (Or not, since I hope people keep talking about that series :sweat_smile:)

It has just come to my attention that a month and a half ago ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖 II (not 2) came out, turning the “10 years later” spin-off into an actual series! Well, I guess I’ll be grabbing that as well.

Also, I should probably read volumes 14 and 15 of DanMachi before 16 comes out, then I think it will be time to get around and read some 薬屋のひとりごと and 紅霞後宮物語 (that’s one of the first series I said I’d like to keep reading, and I have yet to crack volume 2 open). Also 鹿の王 2 - 4, I guess :thinking: I also have some random things I grabbed, like 転移先は薬師が少ない世界でした and KonoSuba, that I should read instead of letting them rot in my BookLive 本棚.
That’s already more books than I have left for my current yearly goal. Book clubs? What book clubs. I swear I’ll be back at some point.

6 Likes

I did this same time frame with frequency >= 1 :joy:. I had like a thousand words, of which I suspended maybe a fourth as known or easy. Sadly, my other books’ percentages of known words did not go as much up as I expected :sweat_smile: (hardly at all)

1 Like

I also have around 1k unknown words at >=1 freq but I don’t think there are many I already know so it sounds like you both know a lot more words than me and are learning at a faster rate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Checking how the percentages of other books I may like to read in the future goes up as I learn words is one of my guilty pleasures. Not sure what you’d count as ‘much’, but for example from my reading of ポレポレ日記 the percentage for 乙女ゲーム[…] went up by 2%.

6 Likes

Aw shucks

lol I see your book club dabbling has turned into a full blown light novel addiction

11 Likes

I don’t have a problem I can stop anytime.
*checks bookshelves filled with light novels*
Anytime. Just not now.

12 Likes

The other day I was reading 本好き下克上 and came across「強制送還」which I found amusing but last night I found it again in 乙女ゲーム[…] and now I have to ask if the Japanese doesn’t necessarily have such a strong connotation (dictionary says forced repatriation, deportation) or if being extremely dramatic is just a common 異世界 protagonist trait.

This is perhaps not the right thread for this but… ehhh.

5 Likes

I started reading 乙女ゲーム last night and was wondering the same thing when I saw that phrase.

大辞林 defines 強制送還 as:

密入国者・不法在留者、また国内で犯罪行為を行なった外国人を国家権力でその国籍のある国に送り返すこと。強制退去。

Maybe they’re just trying to be overly dramatic about being forced to go home?

5 Likes

I think the section you’re talking about is different than the one Sylph and I are referring to. This is the at the very beginning where she fell and hit her head and was carried to the infirmary. Afterward she was sent home.

Relevant Quote - Super Light Spoiler

茫然とする私はそのままお城の医務室に運ばれ治療され、そのまま屋敷に強制送還となった。

Oh, sorry! I somehow totally forgot about that moment/usage, and in that case, you are right, it is weird phrasing. :thinking:

With how I’ve mentioned the series a ton of times on the forums, there’s obviously no way I won’t mention in all four threads where I’ve mentioned the series that the first volume of 不可解なぼくのすべてを is currently free on bookwalker and booklive(and 100% points back instead on kindle). Other than that there’s also a small sale on the second volume :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d been trying to decide what manga to start but ending up not reading anything, so I’m going to take this opportunity to read this one. Thanks for the tip!
Not sure I can read the whole thing before it expires but at least it’ll let me decide if I want to keep reading.

3 Likes

I don’t think this one will expire, though.

2 Likes