[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

I finished コンビニ人間. I wasn’t sure where to write about it (so many threads would fit), but since I think it was discussed here most recently, and it also happens to be the 10nth book I’ve finished this year, I think this is as good a place as any).

I really liked it! Reading people’s thoughts on the dedicated thread and elsewhere, this may be an unpopular opinion, but to me it read, at least on some level, as a comedy. In fact, it even changed my perception of 地球星人 a little towards the funnier. It’s obvious the author enjoys experimenting with people having trouble fitting in and following society’s expectations, taking this basic premise to all sorts of directions and seeing what happens.

I actually found almost no character unlikeable, unlike what others commented. Even the obvious sleazebag that was Shiraha was more pitiful than horrible. And hilarious - how he had this whole theory that in his head justified him living off someone else as a parasite (it was an ideal to work towards, even), and how he was convinced that he was God’s gift to Keiko, who would have the unique opportunity to work for the whole purpose of feeding him. Keiko was very relatable, and the cool detached logic with which she viewed the world made for some shrewd and funny social commentary. I made the mistake of worrying for her in the beginning, but it was obvious that nothing could actually touch her. Especially hilarious how an incredibly mean and offensive comment from the sister-in-law was actually taken gratefully as valuable life advice, which in Keiko’s case it really was. She would be so miserable trying to navigate the chaos of the million unwritten rules of raising a child. I can picture her years from now telling someone that a kind lady once taught her that it’s best to keep her genes to herself, just like the shop manager taught her to keep her body healthy for work. :joy: As for the rest of the characters, they were just …people. None of them was ill-intentioned, they just operated according to a different set of rules (that they happened to have in common), and made assumptions based on their own subjective views and experiences. Everyone was flawed, no one was a villain.
One part felt like it dragged on a bit, and that was because I had already read 地球星人. (mild spoilers for both books) The whole theory of “society expects you to be useful by either working or reproducing or both, and casts away those who are not contributing to it”, explained to death by a man who has evidently spent too much time fuming and theorizing about things he can’t change instead of finding things to enjoy, felt very much like a repetition. I get that it’s a common theme, and it was ultimately treated in a different way, but there were parts that were way too similar in the two books.

21 Likes