[2022] 多読/extensive reading challenge

You’re maybe right. But sometimes reading easy stuff is good, too, just for reinforcing stuff. And strengthening my weak confidence :eyes: I find in the “older” stuff there’s sometimes quite a lot of hiragana words that aren’t obvious. But I’m basing this on when I browsed through it a bit last year, guess I’ve improved quite a bit since then.

Mostly thinking if it is considered a classic and somehow feel a bit obligated to read it as a learner :smiley: But if it’s not that good anyway…

4 Likes

I’ve read the first four volumes (and a bit of the fifth) of the 青ブタ series and the first one was pretty good! Sadly, the series just devolves into pure fan service beyond that point. I gave up at 20% through the 5th volume. With all the books the world has to offer, I don’t really see myself go and finish it either.

5 Likes

Yes :rofl:

Well, I mean, it’s not like horribly horribly bad. It also has some interesting twists and stuff. But sometimes the story just does not progress at all, and sometimes it feels rather rushed, which left me a bit puzzled at times. Also, it’s time traveling stuff, and of course there’s logic flaws in there, but if you are ok with that and don’t expect too much in terms of quality of writing, then I would not forcibly try to talk you out of it.
(You have been warned, after all :wink:)

Curious to hear what you think about it if you decide to read it!

5 Likes

I’ve actually been enjoying the second one more than the first

7 Likes

I’m still on week 8 so basing it on like 20 pages :smiley: Some of it is also probably from the fatigue of starting a new story; moving to a new setting and characters after a nice closure.

5 Likes

Ah, yes. It was a bit slow to start, but it gets fun once they’re in the cafe, imo

6 Likes

Agreed, I also like the second story better so far.

But I’m still a week behind, so…

7 Likes

I was kind of regretting deciding to catch up with the club for the first half sweat_smile

5 Likes

Well, volume 12 of DanMachi is done.
That felt… uneventful. Not that nothing is happening, but I didn’t feel there was much pressure as the main character is basically OP at this point. The author pulled a One-Punch-Man and kinda increased the tension by just yeeting Bell away from the group, so that they have to fend for themselves. That was also a good occasion to showcase their full strength and the result of their training. After all those volumes of telling us that levels and stats are not everything, it’s good to see an actual improvement without level up. Still, the pressure never really felt on, since all named characters seem to have plot immunity. There were 6 expendables unnamed adventurers they saved as well, I guess they could have died, but they didn’t. Anyway, it was just “let’s survive until Bell can make it back”. And then he did. And then he won. The end.
The idea for the main antagonist was interesting, but underdeveloped. I thought he would just run away and be a constant threat for their further progression in the dungeon, but nah. I guess at this point pure fights do not generate the same level of tension, especially after the previous arc. After all, the risk was never to be killed in the last couple of volumes (well, except when it was, but anyway), it was for the group to become outcasts. It’s a lot harder to go about buying groceries when you’ve been publicly labeled an enemy of humanity. Still, the author had showed he would not hesitate to make it happen. Dying, though, not a thing.

7 Likes

So about that sale on the ebook - would you consider them worth 300 yen a piece? Up to and including vol 5 I suppose, because that is where the sale ends.

2 Likes

That’s a tough call. I guess I would consider it at that price. I remember volume 5 being fun. I think volume 4 was a bit disappointing (very short with two side stories; the first of those, as I expected at the time, became very relevant, but they still break the flow). The other three volumes were okay. (I think you read volume 1 already anyway?)

1 Like

Yes, I already read vol 1, so I’m only considering vol 2-5 now.

Thank you for sharing, I’ll sleep on it for a day or two. :blush:

1 Like

If I read one volume of manga per day for the next week, I’ll achieve my goal for this year.

…and I just picked up six volumes of 外つ国の少女, which is the easiest series I’m following right now.

I think I’m gonna do this.

10 Likes

Last night I reached manga pace+5! I don’t actually want to get too far ahead of my goal pace… but whatever, good job reading a lot, self. It is all thanks to being consumed by 2.5 manga series (fully consumed by ハイキュー!! and 約束のネバーランド, especially the former, halfway consumed by ヴィンランド・サガ). I don’t mind that my other reading has fallen off (I was a bit paused on マダム・ジョーカー anyway since I don’t want to catch up to published volumes yet, and I did at least finish 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった 2 yesterday as well) but I need to keep an eye on book clubs. I am in enough that if I fall behind one week it could be a slippery slope to destruction. (I will prepare a toy snake just in case. [<-- an 乙女ゲームの破滅 etc joke])

8 Likes

You should also learn some farming just in case you need reconversion :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re so right. It’s shameful, I don’t even have a favorite クワ

2 Likes

Finally finished 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 and uh, it was fine, but good lord I’m starting to feel like all these books (the ones I’m reading, not specifically the ハルヒ series) are enjoying dancing around the idea of an interesting concept way too much?

Maybe I’m just reading to many books that are only intended to be slightly beyond slice-of-life while expecting fantasy/sci-fi, but it almost feels like a full-blown trope at this point that Japanese books introduce a supernatural concept, give a couple teaser scenes that feel like they’re foreshadowing an actual significant event, only for there to either be no event at all or the event to be spectacularly insignificant in both what actually happens and impact on the overall story.

If anybody has suggestions on books with a little more action, I’d gladly take them :sweat_smile: It’s not even really that I don’t enjoy slice-of-life (I actually love 君の名は、おおかみこどもの雨と雪、and 君の膵臓を食べたい to pieces, not sure if emotionally devastating stories technically count as slice of life or not though), I just need to find a better way of knowing what I’m actually getting into when I choose books, it seems.

I may also take a break from the novel side of 多読 to make more time for the book clubs I’m in and my 漢検 studies until that passes and I can drop that studying for a while. Ain’t nothin’ gonna stop me from continuing to read 鬼滅の刃, though.

11 Likes

What kind of action are you after, i.e. what genres do you generally like? If you’re into crime thrillers, there seems to be a gazillion of books out there… Just start with one author and Google will suggest other authors :wink:

What I also did to collect recommendations was to read book reviews, e.g. have a look at culture trip or Japan Times (they both review English books so you need to find the names of the originals through Wikipedia or the like) or http://www.tsundokureader.com/ (reviews Japanese books). I also asked a lot of Japanese people (e.g. my teachers at language school, or people I met during my travels) what their book recommendations would be, and I got the most awesome answers :slight_smile: The monthly Bookmeter recommendation email lists also contain interesting picks. Last not least, there seems to be a book award for almost every genre, so find a genre you like and check out the winners.

Curious to hear what you will come up with!

8 Likes

魔法少女育成計画. The first volume was pretty good, but really difficult for me. I enjoyed it enough that I would like to read volumes two and three (which make a two part story) at some point, but I decided to wait until I got a little better/faster.

5 Likes

I virtuously didn’t start the next volume of the villainess light novel series because I wanted to catch up on book clubs and read some of my other novel, and now it’s been a few days and I have not only not started light novel #3, I have read nothing but manga, period. This is the opposite of the goal.

5 Likes