[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

I was actually laughing when I read that, because “fantasy for people who don’t like fantasy!” was also how people talked about Game of Thrones for awhile.
It’s not really true in either case, but I think a lot of people think fantasy is just Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons themed stuff. Or in Japan right now, something pretending to be an MMO >_>
In which case, sure, 獣の奏者 is not that :wink:

8 Likes

ONE OF US!

I hope you’ll be able to manage reading your target magazines and books soon!

By the way, even if do not have a specific goal for the year, you can still use the table to keep track of how much you have read so far, e.g., you could put 1/- in the manga table since you have finished one manga so far. You can also use it as a habit tracker by updating everyday how far you got in your current book. (Or not, there’s no reason to force yourself to do something if it’s not helping)

Let’s get reading :books:

10 Likes

I feel that’s mostly limited to light novels, but indeed. So. Many. Isekai.

5 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome :blush:

I (somewhat nervously) added a goal of 30 minutes per day to the tracking post, and received a wiki editor badge for my trouble. Here’s to accountability!

12 Likes

There was a youtube live con-event online which I usually attend IRL. Anyway, it had a lecture about the definition of Isekai. Now that I’ve listened to 1h 30 min about the theoretical explanations around genre boundaries, I cannot agree anymore that VR MMO light novels are Isekai :smiley: (but I guess most still include game-logic when they are not games)

2 Likes

Sounds like a great goal! Enjoy your reading time :slight_smile:

Also, if you’d like, you could create an account on Bookmeter like many others did (see their links in the Big Table), where you can keep track of the books you have read and want to read, and get inspiration from others you are connected with.

9 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

3 Likes

@StarLi Thanks for bringing とんがり帽子アトリエ to my attention! I just finished the first volume and I really liked it. The story/world is interesting so far, but the art is just amazing. I already have the second volume, but I just ordered volumes 3-5 (along with a ton of other stuff). I’m really looking forward to reading more of this one!

4 Likes

Passed a bookshop and made a spur-of-the-moment decision to buy a couple books. I picked up2文間ミステリ and アーモンド since they seemed like easy reads.

I remember someone saying that they read/were reading 2分間ミステリ. They may not be 2 minutes for me but they are very quick. I’ve guessed the answers to 3/4 of the first cases so they’re pretty easy in terms of comprehension. I know next-to-nothing about wine so there was no way I was going to know the answer to the third case, Japanese aside. I’m going back and translating them when I have some free time to get even more study in.

Japanese study in general hit rock bottom these last few months but I think I’m starting to get out of the corona funk and I still have my goal of re-taking the N1 in December. Provided it doesn’t also get cancelled.

7 Likes

I’m glad you love it. It’s quite addicting. It does get a bit intense at times, but it’s so wholesome.

Another favorite of mine is 台所のドラゴン. It’s about an art student who lives in the woods in Central Europe (?) and discovered a dragon egg. It has a similar relaxing feel, but it’s much more of a slice of life kind of story. Challenges have slowly developed, though.

5 Likes

It’s July 1st for me, so six-month check-in. 10/15 on my “eh pick a number” novel goal, so that should be fine. 185/366 on manga, with a two volume buffer on goal pace. Good, good.

8 Likes

That’s a neat idea!
I’m almost done with my 8th (whaaat? :exploding_head:) book out of the 10 I thought I could manage.
For manga, I’ve done 4/10 which was more something like a “Ok I will read some manga so stop nagging” promise anyway…

Ooooh that looks beautiful! Bookwalker only has 3 volumes; is this the current state of affairs or is Bookwalker ignoring the other volumes?

8 Likes

So far this year I’ve read 2.5 books… By end of year maybe I’ll finish 5-7 books depending on motivation, if I join other book clubs, and if I find a series I actually enjoy enough to continue reading on my own.

As for manga… well, I’ve read 27 volumes so far. And I just ordered 14 more volumes of manga, so…

8 Likes

Yes, neat idea.

So my stats are 13/20, meaning I’m ahead on my manga/book goal of reading 20 volumes. Most of that comes from rereading my favorite manga series in Japanese for the first time. Since I came back from Japan, I haven’t been reading much, so that means the last three months. International move, together with corona, books getting stuck in Japan, and me looking for a more permanent place to stay rather than staying at my parents’.

The good thing is, it looks like I will have that permanent place. Moving at the beginning of August. Also it looks like my books will once more go to the post office in Japan next week, so hopefully they can make it to Sweden. Basically all that is coming together at the same time. So when I can get situated at my new home, I hope to create a more regular Japanese reading routine, and smash my 20 goal. Perhaps even get to a 2020 goal (aka 40 volumes in my case, books and manga).

9 Likes

No, there’re only three volumes printed. But it was originally a web manga. The mangaka seems to be going and their own pace.

You can see the web version on Pixiv: https://www.google.com/amp/s/comic.pixiv.net/amp/works/3559

4 Likes

Six months check in as well.
So far 26/12 books… I guess I had the reverse goal of not reading too much so that I can focus on other things (mostly listening and grammar). I think that resolution held all of January :sweat_smile: I have a current secret goal of 50, so I’m on track for that though.

I didn’t keep track of how many manga I read, but I read at least 19 last month, as well as Yuru camp 1, 3 volumes of sailor moon, 3 volumes of Jojo, so >26 total. Ah wait, 2 volumes of flying witch as well, so 28 I guess.

8 Likes

What series (singular or plural) was that for?

Also, I feel like I need to track the manga I read or my Book Meter would be a lonely lonely place.

5 Likes

ハレルヤオーバードライブ: 15 volumes
弟の夫: 4 volumes

I did like both, but not sure I would recommend them.
I already mentioned about the first one in this thread.
In the second one, the story revolves around the interactions between a single father, his daughter, and the husband of his little brother (hence the title). Said husband is a Canadian, visiting after the death of the brother. The story is mostly about mourning and acceptance.

4 Likes

6 month check in
I’m almost finished my goals for this year of 24 books and 12 manga. Most of the books I’ve read are children’s books and graded readers. I hope I can read a real novel this year!

8 Likes

Make that 27/12, as I have just finished the 11th volume of DanMachi.

Not much to talk about this time beyond the usual. Basically no fan service, which was appreciated. The plot was not bad, with ヘスティア and friends on one side trying to send the ゼノス (monsters with human level of intellect) back to the dungeon, while basically everyone else are trying to kill them (the monsters for being monsters and ヘスティア and co. for being traitors to humanity). There was a romance comedy scene right in the middle when アイズ is tracking ベル’s movements (she can’t attack as he hasn’t done anything yet but everyone and their dog know that he will do something stupid heroic). ベル, thanks to his “six sense” telling him when he is being observed is painfully aware of her presence, but still has to meet with co-conspirators… who are all beautiful women because that’s almost exclusively the only type of character who hangs out with ヘスティアファミリア. For some reason, they all end up saying things that can be taken the wrong way. Well, except アイシャ, since she was just sexually harassing him as usual. So it’s technically not a misunderstanding. Anyway, hilarity is supposed to ensue? Not sure. The author just shrugged it off and went back to the action.
The action was pretty intense. It was nice to have a confrontation at the tactical level, where it’s fine to lose a fight (and boy did they lose, the ロキファミリア has a bunch of level 6s, while they had one level 5 and two level 4s (the level 5 not doing any direct fighting so that their ファミリア can remain officially out of the conflict). The main character is level 3, so he isn’t even registering on the chart… he still ends up being the MVP because, well, plot.
I just thought of a couple of things that have been annoying me as well, but I’ll keep that for when @afunian @Ditto20 and others (@Belerith I guess?) get there. Come on team!
Well, I guess I did end up to talk a lot anyway :sweat_smile: Despite mostly focusing on the negative part, that was probably my favorite book in the series overall (so far).
Now moving on to the next volume all the bookclubs I have neglected this week.

10 Likes