[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

It changes sometimes between publishers, but it’s also a common thing that happens in intermediate-ish books. They’ll have the furigana for a word or name on the first occurrence for that page, then leave it out for the rest of that page (and sometimes the adjacent page). Every subsequent page turn, if the name or word comes up again, they’ll re-add the furigana. It’s supposed to help with recognizing readings.

As for having it on 今日 all the time, it’s most likely to help with distinguishing it from こんにち, which can reference not just that particular day, but also other recent days. Seems like the book is aimed at older elementary to middle school aged children.

5 Likes

Really? I guess. The language does seem a bit easier than I’m used to seeing from high school / adult books. I just attributed that to the book being written in first person, but being aimed at middle school aged kids would explain the extra furigana.

It’s frigging bullshit and probably depends on the weather and the position of the constellations compared to the sun.

Not that I’m bitter or anything.

7 Likes

For me last year was the year of Japanese podcast. This year I want to concentrate on reading (at least 20-30 books). I have 10 vol. of Magic tree house series and want to power through then as quickly as possible. Next I will try Kiki’s Delivery Service and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time since you guys already did them in the reading club (that excel sheet is mighty helpful) and some other random books. By the end of the year I also want to start my Dragon quest 4,5,6 playthoughts. Hopefully I will have time to read everything.

11 Likes

風の中のマリア has a loooot of insect, plant and animal names. I know very few of those so in that sense I’ve been learning a lot lol
At first I had a difficult time understanding what was being done/said and I had to look up 10 words on every page, but that took so much extra time that I stopped. Now it’s flowing more smooth again!

Reminder for myself: don’t look up the insects on google images

9 Likes

I ended up bingeing on 11 chapters of explicit yaoi manga on pixiv in 3 days (average chapter was ~10 spreads of 2 pages each), and 8 of them were today. I’ve learnt some extremely “interesting” words, but also some extremely safe for work ones! Such as 末っ子! I would’ve continued reading if there was more. I hope it updates soon.

I guess I’m unofficially infiltrating the challenge. :smiley:

ETA: and for the record, I’m using KanjiTomo as my OCR dictionary. I would’ve been extremely lost without it.

4 Likes

Finally got myself up on the board for 2020! Since I’ve got that library available now (which means I could potentially read the entire 銭天堂 series without buying any more of it), I put myself down for 24 books and 12 manga. I’m not a huge manga person, but there are a few short series I’m interested in and I’d like to read at least one of them at some point this year between books. I get lots of free time at work, and now that I’m level 60 the SRS should slow down significantly (once I clear the insane backlog of reviews I have from winter break) and give me more time to read as a form of study over WaniKani.

Here’s to 2020! Let’s get those goals, y’all!

12 Likes

Added myself to The Big Table with 5人の王, and zero goals. >.> It’s a pretty simple book grammar-wise, so most of what I have to look up is individual words, and the KanjiTomo OCR is great for that. It is, indeed, a great friend: https://kanjitomo.net/

My read locations today (Kindle): 642→701 (/4659).

5 Likes

Naphthalene: “I like to update numbers”
Also Naphthalene: *forgets to update for a week*

14 Likes

Your last update is still at december 9th, did you post that without actually updating the numbers?? :joy:

5 Likes

I forgot to update the month when I cleaned the table :frowning: then I just updated the number without checking the month “cause it should be good”. Perfect example of selective blindness.

5 Likes

One hour later, it struck me

4 Likes

It’s nice seeing everyone’s goals here! I won’t be able to update any numbers, but I’ll talk about my goals for this year.

So apparently I read 34 mangas and 6 books in 2019. My plan for 2020 is at least 50 mangas, and 12 novels. And I’m gonna add something new to the mix, I want to listen to at least 12 audiobooks. I really want to read novels much more but I have to focus on listening for this year!

Ohh, I also want to finish ロボティクス;ノーツ and play DaSH after it (and if possible finally get to S;G Elite). Any SciADV fans? :thinking:

I have no idea how all of this will fit

5 Likes

Can I add multiple books at the same time? :o What would the format be? Hm. I’m going to invent something.

Of course you can :slight_smile: For inspiration, you can have a look at my entry in the books section, I’ve also added multiple books.

none of which I’m reading at the moment, but that’s a different story…

4 Likes

I’m actively reading all of mine! Added my other two \o/ Thanks for volunteering your format :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t know how to add myself to the table. can someone show me?

2 Likes

You can use this button at the bottom of the post to edit it. If you’re unsure about getting the format right after that you can either look at how everyone else has done it or ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. But I don’t understand the format. :frowning:

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: copycatted!

3 Likes