[2022] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Yeah, it was Yuu.
I liked the book, but at the same time kind of hated the second half, I think because I read it so slowly that it felt like watching an agonizing trainwreck in slow motion and I just wanted it to end. And Senpai kind of seemed like a jerk from the beginning to me which made it worse… I thought from the anime, that senpai might have been sincere to begin with, but cooled later on when she realized it wasn’t romance she was experiencing, and kind of… retroactively decided it was all play, you know? But this felt like play right from the start, with just a checklist of things a bored middleschooler wanted to do with a boy but couldn’t. I still don’t think she knew she was just playing to start with, but as an observer, it was just gut-twisting for me. I also never felt like I got too much insight into Sayaka as a person, unfortunately, since she spend so much of the second half just agonizing over what sempai wanted her to be.

I still overall liked it and am glad I read it though. Haven’t thought about reading the second, let me know how it is!

1 Like

I fell in love with Sayaka from the moment she had the conversation with the cafe owner. She became my little gay baby who I want to be happy way more than anyone else >_>

1 Like

That’s definitely when she became a more likable character.

2 Likes

One of the books I’m reading just referenced the other book I’m reading. It’s a classic so it’s not out of left-field. But I’m not far enough into it to get the reference. :confused:

Also if anyone wants to read Natsume Soseki, I highly recommend this site: http://www.sosekiproject.org/index.html.
It has everything: the text itself, full audio, English translations of what the words mean in context, vocabulary lists, and full furigana.

12 Likes

I feel like for reading in certain genres that I like (fantasy/mystery/etc), it helps to pick a series. The first book tends to be a bit difficult, but because they tend to reuse words a decent amount within series, the succeeding books feel easier and easier, but you’re still picking up plenty of vocab that will make reading other books in that genre easier in the long run.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping to do with the 涼宮ハルヒ series. If I like 憂鬱 and it feels manageable, I plan to get the next three books in the series. We’ll see how that goes.

I also want to try reading 魔法少女育成計画 towards the end of the year (depending on what the book clubs are doing), and if I like it I’ll buy the next two.

2 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t heard of 魔法少女育成計画 before! The plot description reminds me a lot of 魔法少女まどかマギカ (although I haven’t actually watched that through fully yet). You’ll have to let us know how it is when you read it!

Yep, it’s supposed to remind you of Madoka Magica, in the sense that it’s one of the many dark magical girl series that was inspired by Madoka Magica.

3 Likes

So after taking a break from 時をかける少女… in, what, March? About when I was about to start Kino with the book club, just when I was about half done with 時.

Well, picking it back up again after Kino was pretty effortless? I was trying to look up unknown words at first, but kept almost falling asleep and having to pause way too often. In the end I abandoned that and read through the majority of the second half of the book in one or 2 days.

While I didn’t understand every detail of Kazuo’s explanation and everything, I didn’t feel lost during it either. :slight_smile:

No mention of guns either. :eyes:

Anyway, I’m very glad with the progress I was able to make in just a couple months! It really didn’t feel like it was happening!

Today I read the first of the 3 bonus stories, 時の女神 or something?Don't think those are part of the book club thread for 時をかける少女? So gonna share here, if anyone else actually read those. :smiley:

This was nice and short after the main story. :joy: Also, somewhat creepy? I guess they do love their love stories starting from childhood… Well, anyway - I kept expecting that last meeting between them to go way differently? Especially when they actually met at the train station? Like, I though he’d try to get to her, actually see her/talk to her one last time and fall before a train or something.

… Instead, just another day in the life of. Guess he moved on. Which makes me like the story more, but where’s the drama? D: The guns?

I might have a problem.

9 Likes

I see you have the furigana version :joy:
(The extra stories are different in the other version)

1 Like

:open_mouth: Oops, caught me! :smiley:

All 3 of them? Or is it a different number as well?

I think I’ll keep posting stuff about the things I read in this topic(just a manga this time though).

I read the first(and currently only) volume of the manga 不可解な僕のすべてを, and it was pretty good. It was pretty different from most manga I’ve read, especially in how direct it is about a lot of stuff. The main character was also pretty unique - they’re different from any other character I can remember from other manga(or media in general, really), and I’d say in a good way. I’m not really sure how much I can say about the story without spoiling anything though(which is why all of this is so vaguely written), so I’ll just settle for saying that I personally liked it quite a bit. It’s a lot lighter on the drama and a bit sillier than most other similar manga I’ve read, but there is still some drama.

I also really like that the fact that the author’s main reason for writing the manga the way they did and not the way they initially had planned to apparently was thinking something like “well, why not?” and doing some research - I’m pretty sure the manga like it is now is a lot better than what it would have been otherwise. The author seems to have put in some genuine effort to write a good story while also being respectful, which is cool.

If I were to mention one bad thing, it would be that I kind of feel like the jacket thing that came with the manga kind of spoiled the first chapter :frowning:. The premise also seemed kind of sketchy at first, but it’s done a lot better in the actual manga than the short blurb thing on the back of the book(and the amazon page) made it seem like(though, admittedly, they kind of do end with something like “but…”, so those also imply that there’s more to it).

Some small spoilers:

I'm pretty sure this is the most text I've ever seen in one text box

and while it may be a bit harder to understand out of context, this is the page I liked the best

Also, to say the same thing as above, but more concretely(this is actually a pretty small spoiler): this is one of the few manga I know of about transgender stuff that does it kind of well, and also the only one I know of with a non-binary main character, which makes it pretty unique :slight_smile:

10 Likes

What is this, Alan Moore?

2 Likes

That was literally what I assumed when I read the non-spoiler part :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

somebody sure is celebrating Pride with their reading lately :wink:

4 Likes

My 読んだ本 list is officially longer than my 積読 list! For now at least. :laughing:

16 Likes

I watched the drama version of ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖 on Crunchyroll. It was OK, but I felt that whatever the original format of it was, that was probably better.

1 Like

Oh, there’s a drama? I guess the book is (was?) pretty popular, then. But yeah, I wouldn’t watch it, I guess.

1 Like

So I just need to read 601 pages to beat you right?

fiteme

impossibru

That’s such a good speed though! It’s like what… My English reading speed…? You’re insane. Very proud :green_heart:

5 Likes

Yeah, well, it means nothing considering I am right now re-reading the spoiler edition of the descent of the durtles into madness thread.
I guess I just can’t keep on reading all the time. That’s a different problem, though.

6 Likes