[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Lmao yeah I think I saw yukiguni on there in the lightnovel section and was like…nani lol. Guess its more convenient than splitting them up, but might as well just call it “books”.

But yeah, I haven’t seen anything on how often or what they use to determine when/what books they add. Seems like its still an active project doe so maybe one day.

5 Likes

Next book finished. I think thats the first time I’ve finished two books in a day which is poggers. Still only 2:40 pm doe so you know what that means :sunglasses:

妹さえいればいい is honestly maintaining its quality pretty well which I am pleased about. Its really simple premise wise but the author is doing a good job of keeping things interesting and honestly even outdoing the earlier part of the series.

I don’t know if other people feel the same, but I always kinda have the expectation that as series go on for longer they will kinda gradually drop in quality until maybe the latter parts. Exactly halfway through 妹さえ doe and this last volume might have been my favorite. Unexpectedly made me cry tbh because for literally a single chapter out of nowhere the author decided happy fun time was over (frick u), but overall I honestly liked it better than the start of the series. Like maybe 妹さえ is no exception and that lull is coming a little bit later, but so far thumbs up. My time to read is incredibly limited at the moment, so it makes me all the happier that I can spend it reading something thats only getting better.

11 Likes

Interesting! I don’t usually go for episodic stuff, but I think I might be more forgiving of that in manga (so long as there is some sort of ongoing plot, usually). Maybe I will have to try Conan again when I run out of 魔王城でおやすみ. I think the chapters are a lot longer than in 魔王城でおやすみ, though, so reading speed becomes more of a factor for me as well~

Ah yes, I can relate to this. I thought about putting a disclaimer about my pronunciation. :sweat:

4 Likes

Have you done any of the read aloud sessions for the book clubs?

1 Like

Not very many, but yes!

2 Likes

Consider me a maybe I guess! Hard for me to say no when reading stuff out loud and Harta comics are two of my favorite things. :sweat_smile: I joined the book club discord after noticing it today while nominating stuff, anyway.

2 Likes

A maybe, nice! I sent you a message on discord.

What Harta comics have you liked? If there are more that are good like this one, I’d like to read them. :grin: eta: Oh wait, is this the magazine that you do the reviews of all the bits of? I’m putting pieces together, lol. Still, which ones have you specifically liked a lot?

2 Likes

There will be more to this tattoo later on :smirk:
But why Ace has a marine cap here? :open_mouth:

Yep! Harta’s the main manga magazine I’ve posted about here a few different times, so you can definitely find more impressions from me in this thread (and will get more later on… I’m almost caught up but I wasted the skipped month in July…).

The main two I’d recommend from there are probably:

• ダンジョン飯 - my favorite manga of all time. Starts fun, develops into something really great. Really cool fantasy world-building and great art.
  • ハクメイとミコチ - I’ve read the beginning of this in English and the newest stuff in Japanese but not the middle (which I’d like to fix some time). A quiet fantasy world of miniature craftspeople, is maybe the way to describe it? Great lived-in detail.

The most similar to 不思議の国のバード (thinking of the wealth of historical atmosphere) might be 乙嫁語り (which moved to new sister magazine 青騎士 recently) or 煙と蜜, although both involve (to different degrees) uncomfortable age gap relationships, which is a caveat (especially for 煙と蜜).

There’s a lot more that I’ve liked though! Like the geology one, the hotel one, or the zombie one, for example… I don’t think I’ve really actively disliked any of the ongoing series. The magazine as a whole is a really cool production, and some of my favorites are the variety of one-shots each issue.

不思議の国のバード has so far been in the “it’s been serialized for so long already I’m not 100% following it but it seems cool” category, so it’s one I’d definitely like to catch up on!

4 Likes

I’ve been making my way through the first volume of this one! So far it hasn’t caught me, but a friend at work is reading it in English, and when I asked them if I’d still like even if I don’t care about the food stuff, they said yes, so I will push on. :+1:

I brought this one home in English for my 9-year-old niece, and she adores it. I will have to try it for myself!

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely one that starts as a cute gimmicky food manga, before developing into a full-fledged fantasy adventure that happens to still feature food, so it snuck up on me over time (and hopefully the effect still works if one’s anticipating it!).

I’d set the “volume count where I’m just happy someone read that far and if they still aren’t sold they can feel free to bow out as far as I’m concerned” bar at a definite 4 for that series :wink: but of course if the writing’s on the wall before then, then so it goes!

5 Likes

Actually, that’s not what I think. (:

It’s just I started with a list of light novels only, and then people requested that regular novels be added to the list. So I did. I could probably create a separate section, but then it would probably be a huge pain to classify what is a light novel and what is not. Maybe I’ll just rename the whole page in the future, I don’t know.

Well, unfortunately I can only add what I have access to. ):

I add mostly whatever people send me, and also what’s frequently requested.

10 Likes

Oh, will it get even better? :joy: this is part of one of the chapter title page short story series, in which Ace infiltrates the marine to deliver a milk farmers daughter’s letter and get some secret info while he’s at it. Or the other way around, I can’t be sure. :grin:

3 Likes

Do you prefer people to send you the contents just in plaintext with furigana removed?

If you want to talk details it’d probably be the best to PM me on Discord; I can then explain the process for whatever you’d like to get added.

1 Like

Ha, yeah I get that. Keeping them together makes sense I think, so maybe just renaming the section is best.

Gotcha. Well I’m sure 魔法少女育成計画 is not frequently requested. :upside_down_face: Maybe I’ll reach out at some point on Discord and see how to get it added.

Thanks for your hard work on the site!

4 Likes

@Naphthalene I just realized I don’t think I’ve ever asked you, but which book would you say has been the hardest that you’ve read vocab and grammar wise? Just the first book or two that come to mind. I’m just a little curious.

5 Likes

The first two that come to mind are 雪国 and エクサスケールの少女 (SF). Honorable mentions to 江戸を楽しむ (non fiction on the Edo period written in a rambling way “I remember this thing happening to me twenty years ago, by the way, did you know about the magistrate ranks in the Edo period? It goes like this…”), 新世界より, 図書館の魔女 (fantasy), and 天冥の標 (SF).

5 Likes

Yeah I saw this one on that read natively site and it caught my eye. I take it that it has a lot of computer science terminology?

This one’s a bit more surprising. I’ve gone through small parts of it because one of my friends is reading it and example sentences pop up on koohi somewhat often from here, so I only get bits and pieces, but it didn’t strike me as something really difficult. Is it just like the writing style at times? I remember myria or someone saying that they have a hard time painting a mental picture or something.

5 Likes

Also, a lot of gemstones discussion and old poetry, for some reason. Finally getting 瑠璃, despite WK’s never adding that word.

4 Likes