16 Likes

I feel like I have seen this before

1 Like

Probably because I’ve posted it before. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or… you’ve been breaking into my house?

16 Likes

Yes, must have been because you have posted it before :eyes:

13 Likes

I’m considering dropping a manga in the middle of a volume for the first time. I’ve dropped plenty of series, but I’ve never stopped in the middle of a volume. I’ve only read four chapters of 恋する小惑星 so far, and I might read one more before deciding. But so far it hasn’t caught my interest, and frankly there are way too many characters, and they all have complicated names and nicknames! I just can’t keep track of everyone, which is pretty annoying. Not to mention all the technical terms for the rocks and space stuff is hard to follow too. I don’t even know some of these terms in English…

9 Likes

Current manga reading:

• ハイキュー!! (finished 43 of 44 except whoops there will be 45)
  • 約束のネバーランド (finished 18 of 20)
  • マダム・ジョーカー (finished 21 of 24)
  • ふしぎの国のバード (finished 3 of 7)
  • ヴィンランド・サガ (finished 11 of 23)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん (might pause)
  • 彼氏彼女の事情 (might pause)
  • アリア (might pause)

!? It’s almost time to pick new things to read! Maybe even a few new things!

Before I had attempted to divide manga reading into categories, but now I think the only important things to me are: 1. only one sports/competition manga at a time (this will be free when I finish ハイキュー), 2. at most one 4コマ at a time (this would be free if I paused 月刊少女野崎くん), 3. not everything focused on kids/teens, 4. not everything too scary or gruesome (or even just exciting) so that I have something to read right before sleep, 5. generally keeping an eye on things not overlapping too much in feeling. I will keep the idea of aiming for six series with the option for a seventh if it has three or fewer volumes.

I will probably be back soon with ideas of what I want to read next, maybe asking for recommendations, maybe a poll, I don’t know–I’ve been trying to pare down for long enough that this upcoming freedom is a little strange, lol. If I’m going to pause a series, I’d like to do it after finishing a volume, so I should probably finish those respective volumes before jumping into deciding on new things…

13 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to say here.

7 Likes

To be fair, Aria may not be the best for bingeing.

I recommend ご注文はうさぎですか and こみっくがーるず, as usual. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I got me some new books in the mail:

Top right and bottom left might be part of next year’s pile to read; I gotta get volume 2 of the KH short stories as well to go with them.

8 Likes

I went ahead and cleared Persona 4 and 大図書館の羊飼い out of my “other” section since I dropped the former and haven’t been keeping up with the latter (P4 was a replay anyway).

The counter still goes up to 3 though, because I just finished my third video game of the year; 十三機兵防衛圏 (aka 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim). Absolutely amazing game; really interesting story told in a non-linear format, gorgeous hand-painted 2d art, nice big cast of characters for all the language variety you could ask for. If you like point-and-click adventures or visual novels at all I highly recommend it. Every line of dialogue is voiced so I was able to fly through it; got the platinum trophy in just about 60 hours.

It came out in Japan a year ago and I kind of forgot about it until just recently when the English version got announced; unfortunately I didn’t manage to beat it by release day but eh, close enough :wink:

11 Likes

All right, I finished ハイキュー! I would like to start another sports/competition manga, this time women-focused. No fan-service, good characters/storyline, preferably finished… any suggestions?

@Belthazar @seanblue I don’t know why it isn’t grabbing me! I’m not looking to binge everything I read–this would definitely be one for leisurely enjoyment. I like it okay, but I haven’t finished a volume in two months. Hopefully if I pause now I will come back at some point and be better adjusted to properly appreciate it.

9 Likes

It might not be exactly what you’re looking for sports-wise, but have you read Bamboo Blade? The main characters are in a high school kendo club at school, which has only enough members for a full female team. Their teacher pushes for them to participate in competitions.

Series is complete at 14 volumes.

10 Likes

I even took a break from it for a few months mid-book club, so I can understand why it may not be catching your interest. I read it mostly for the art and the book club camaraderie. Well, that and the 摩訶不思議 chapters of course. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I still need to get around to watching the anime adaption one of these days. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Only 26 episodes long!

3 Likes

Oh, this looks like something I might like, thank you! Is there any instructor/student romance to watch out for?

Not a hint of romance anywhere, except a male student and a female student who are already together to begin with. (And even that’s really light.)

2 Likes

Oh good! I saw it had a tag on baka-updates, ‘slow romance,’ so I was concerned about teacher/student shenanigans. Thanks, this one is going on my list!

I’ve read through the series in English entirely, and have partially re-read it as part of my transition from physical to digital manga. I’m trying to remember if there’s anything at all that could qualify for this tag, and I just can’t come up with anything. Maybe some people imagine a pairing between the main character and her childhood friend or something? Regardless, nothing at all involving the instructor.

7 Likes

A series with many female characters and one male character that isn’t a thinly veiled harem? Huzzah!

7 Likes