[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

I hate reading stuff that isn’t finished :sweat_smile: like, who knows what I’m signing myself up for…

5 Likes

One day Detective Conan will become a grown-up again!

7 Likes

Yay, and one day he will make up his mind and confess his love to me Ran.

8 Likes

I really want to read Itazura na Kiss, however it’s unfinished because the mangaka died in a freak accident.
X and Nana are two other series that are frustratingly unfinished and most likely never will be. Although with Nana there is a point where I could just pretend is the ending since I don’t like where the story goes after that.

1 Like

What volume? I watched the anime years ago and really liked it, but haven’t bothered reading the manga since it’ll likely never be finished.

Volume 4
when Nana and Hachi go to the Trapnest concert. It ends with them both crying and holding hands, and I think I could just pretend like Nana was crying because she was saying her final goodbye to Ren.
Instead she goes back to Ren, Blast becomes famous, and Hachi gets pregnant and engaged to Takumi and she and Nana stop talking.

I really like Ai Yazawa’s manga, but Nana just kind of loses me around volume 6-7.

2 Likes

Isn’t there like 25 volumes? That’s a lot of story after volume 4.:joy:
I didn’t know Nana wasn’t complete… I bought it a while ago but haven’t gotten around to reading. Now I’m just hoping I end up liking it. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I think it’s like 21 volumes.
I really love NANA, it’s probably one of my favorite manga.
But it does contain a lot of drama, and it just keeps getting worse, so I can also get what @Quarkles is saying.
Still, I really like the characters post time skip. I hope the author will get back to it one day…

1 Like

I’ve been sick (nothing terrible, just a long cold, probably not corona but who knows) nearly the whole february, so I had a lot to catch up to the past weeks. Fortunately, I have started reading again, so hisashiburi no table update

5 Likes

I really should try and power past the point where I stopped. Normally I like over the top drama in stories, but with Nana, the characters were so likeable that I preferred to just watch them chase their dreams and enjoy each other’s company.
Now, Paradise Kiss, I could read that over and over, and ugly cry over the ending every time.
Belerith - you should really give Nana a try, a lot of people really love it, for good reason. My opinion on it is admittedly not a popular one.

3 Likes

And done with volume 6.
And I’m glad there was no fan service this time (if we exclude the color pages; I’m not even sure who that’s supposed to be; 命 maybe?).

The Hestia familia is finally getting bigger! I’ve been looking forward to リリ finally moving there, but didn’t expect 命 and ヴェルフ to tag along as well. And they got a new home too, that really reminds me of the feeling you get when you establish your base in the 水滸伝 video game series. I wonder if, like in those games, we will progressively have new members joining over time, or if there will be mostly focus on those? Also, I’m kinda sad we didn’t get to learn the stats of… well… anyone. I was mostly looking forward to those of リリ (with a possible level up? She hadn’t updated her stats in so long, and she’s been all the way to L18), but it would have been fun to learn about the others as well. Heck, I only got Bell’s stats from the おまけ pages…

I wonder if I should be posting that in the DanMachi thread instead? :thinking: But it’s been my habit to post comments on my personal reading here instead, so… I don’t know. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

I spent the last couple days playing Persona 5: The Royal again to prep for its English release, but I guess to talk about an actual book, I finally got around to reading 探偵日暮旅人の探し物. I’ve read the first two pages of that book like 10 times, but I’m at the halfway point now and will maybe finish it today.

Overall, it feels like it fits sort of nicely into a high beginner to intermediate range for novel reading. There’s not too much furigana, and when there is, they only show it for that word once for the rest of the book so that it’s not too much of a crutch.

I’m also not on this chart, but I wanna read stuff too

6 Likes

If you are talking about the table, you can just add yourself :slight_smile: Anyone can join.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just not sure if I wanna make that kind of commitment just yet :pensive:

5 Likes

February:

March:

um… I was too busy studying Japanese to have time/energy to read =P
I actually unburned ALL of my turtles! I have zero burns now! =D
Some of them was in dire need of repeat after a whole year off D=

8 Likes

About half done with All You Need Is Kill, and I also broke into triple digits on manga volumes finished! I’m behind on 2 book clubs but at least I’m still reading a lot. With my novel being what it is, and my main manga being Claymore… I will be glad when I finish one or the other and am not spending so much time reading about battles and death, lol.

6 Likes

How is it so far? Both in terms of difficulty and enjoyment.

Hmm, I don’t think it’s that difficult. There a lot of words that I either don’t see a lot of in other places or are made up for this particular story, but the nature of the story means all of those words get repeated a lot. Sometimes I’ll see a long string of kanji and my brain will start to zone out, but then I think, no, that is the same long string of kanji from before, he is just talking about what troop (or whatever) he’s in!! Once you get over the vocabulary hurdle, the grammar seems normal (other than some run-on, no-punctuation sentences in dialogue or thought), and the situations are not at all incomprehensible. Also so far I would say the word that feels most repeated is ファック.

6 Likes

Oh right, enjoyment! I am enjoying it. I find the main character interesting and I’m curious where the story will go in the second half of the book.

4 Likes

Im not on the list but im reading too :slightly_smiling_face:: afunian - 読書メーター

3 Likes