[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

It will cost an addition 1169 yen to buy the third volume. So yes, more than 600 yen. Besides the fact that I’ll always place another order later anyway, so I don’t know. :man_shrugging:

Maybe I should just invest all my time into building a teleportation device so I can buy used books directly from Japan.

4 Likes

Have you ever done the maths of buying all of the books off of Amazon Japan including shipping, versus a two-week holiday in Japan (mainly for buying cheap used books ofc) every year? :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Going to Japan would definitely be more expensive. :joy:

4 Likes

Even with a very cheap flight? I know that some people visiting me from Europe could find flights as low as 450€. Of course, those were off season and bought a year in advance, which requires to be flexible, but still. If you buy 100 books (and with manga it’s not as much as it sounds), you’re definitely saving money…

2 Likes

Let’s say 100 books costs $900 new on Amazon. Quick google search shows round trip flight could cost $600-700. Plus let’s say 100 books used costs $100-200. Not much savings there. Plus there’s baggage costs, hotel costs, etc. And it assumes I have in mind 100 books to buy all at once. Not to mention the time on the flight (17-19 hours). Those are also one with stop. Direct flight would take 15 hours, but cost $1500 instead.

4 Likes

Then get 200 books :thinking::thinking::thinking:

11 Likes

Is that a thing? I think you have up to 2 23kg bag, depending on the airline :thinking: plus 10 kg carry on. That’s a decent number of books.

My wife is flying to the States in a few weeks, and her airline isn’t even including one checked back into the ticket price.

Last year, one checked bag up to 23kg was free. Now she had to pay 50-60 euros for a checked bag - ONE WAY. So, you know, if you actually want to bring back the bag that you’re bringing, it cost 100+ euros. That made a 400-something euro ticket a 600 euro ticket.

That “cheap” flight is only cheap because it is offering no meal on a transatlantic flight, and if you want to bring more than just hand luggage both there and back, it’s a three digit surcharge.

5 Likes

Dislike.

4 Likes

I like this idea. I’ll try to ready about a chapter a day and then going back again to work on pitch and tone of some words/phrases.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! If you’d like to track your readings (and maybe set yourself a target number for the year), feel free to add yourself to the tables in the OP.

2 Likes

For the rest of the year. Obligatory reminder that the table will be cleared whenever I have Internet access after New Year.

4 Likes

And the current contents will be archived, right? :wink:
(I’m volunteering to do the archiving if you don’t want to do that.)

4 Likes

Archiving is just putting under a drop-down and possibly moving to op. I’ll be fine :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Been over a month but I read another book. I go a month without reading and then I binge it in 2 days.

In case 夜市 was super good though I wish I read it in October because the setting/theme is right up there in the dreadful, gloomy and spooky theme department. Though I still think it fits more with Fantasy than horror but maybe that’s just because I haven’t read a lot of horror.

Onto 秋の牢獄! I’m going to have fun reading through the old Book Club’s previous discussions about it as I pretend to go along, haha.

3 Likes

Is that the book currently nominated for the Intermediate Club? I’ve always thought it looks really interesting so it’s good to hear you enjoyed it if so.

How difficult would you say it was?

2 Likes

Not difficult at all compared to other Book Club books I’d say. The sentences are pretty short/simple. There’s almost no paragraphs actually unless someone is monologuing.

The only thing is that it uses a lot setting-specific vocabulary like names of a bunch of different trees, or like kinds of lanterns.

3 Likes

There are kinds of lanterns?

3 Likes

I mostly know about 提灯 (the paper ones) and 灯籠 (the stone ones near temples).
:thinking: That’s >1 kind

2 Likes

Yeah 提灯 pops up the most. 石灯籠 and 行灯 gets mentioned as well.

2 Likes