[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

ダンガンロンパ

Oh no, I wasn’t mentioning it, because I didn’t want to put the pressure on you. What I was supposed to say anyway, “did you finish yeeeet?” “play Danganronpa not this other thing” “but you aren’t abandoning Danganronpa, aren’t you?” :joy:

Not at all! …Depending how deep you plunge into the franchise.

• 2 and v3 will get you bits about what happened to the original survivors
  • Despair Girls shows you a random city infested with underage Monokuma followers; Toko Fukawa is one of the main characters and Byakuya is damsel in distress during the entire game
  • anime I mentioned before “The End of 希望ヶ峰学園” - 未来 arc is all about well, Makoto’s future :stuck_out_tongue: (but anime goes after the 2nd game)
    EDIT: actually Despair Girls also should go after the 2nd game, the DG events happen before it, but may spoil one thing you shouldn’t know while playing 2nd @rodan for edit visibility

…Btw Makoto is too perfect and pure.

But are you talking about highlighting on the device, or about that file containing highlights you tried to extract previously and which was glitching?

If it’s just about number of highlights in the text itself then I don’t think deleted ones count because I do highlight entire paragraphs sometimes, but I never save any too long for SRSing or whatever, and I never reached the limit just by checking translations. Only when I was trying to copy/extract quotes.

3 Likes

I highlight on the kindle itself, but then after a while that file says <You have reached the clipping limit for this item> instead of what you actually highlighted. It wouldn’t matter if the highlights properly synced with https://read.amazon.co.jp/notebook, but that still doesn’t work. So it’s like a perfect storm of things causing this.

But I’m going to try to look at it more positively, in that I would have hated my life going through 500 highlights anyway. :upside_down_face: And like I said above, I really do need to get better at reviewing my highlights as I’m reading instead of after I finish a book.

3 Likes
ダンガンロンパ

Thanks for letting me know now, though! Since I’m especially glad I finished now! :smiley:
It would have been a real shame if I chickened out just because セレス didn’t hide her tracks well enough and my beloved 龍が如く was calling me…

I know the feeling though! I’m basically dying for anyone I know to get past a certain volume of Dungeon Meshi, but what can I say…

Glad to hear Fukawa turns up again in some capacity, btw! They were my favorite just because of how much fun the voice actor was clearly having with the role.

2 Likes

I see, I thought that you maybe mean going manually through the highlights (by browsing through the text, not by using the file) and that these are also capped. :sweat_smile:

In that case I think that deleted highlights are still saved in the file :slightly_frowning_face:

Oh, I’m happy you like her :grin: I personally really like the tropes she was built from, but I was afraid she might be especially hard to withstand, even with what counts as Danganronpa “norm” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Deleted highlights do stay in the file, unfortunately. Though that doesn’t necessarily mean those deleted highlights count towards the cap. After all, I could still highlight the words in the kindle itself. So it might just stop writing them to the file at a certain point so you can’t copy large portions of copyrighted content. I don’t really feel like confirming one way or the other though. I’m just going to try my best to avoid this situation from now on.

2 Likes

I just finished reading vol. 1 of 沖縄で好きになった子が方言すぎてツラすぎる, which I felt I had to mention just for the reason that I had no clue just how different Okinawan Japanese is from standard. The whole gimmick of the manga is that the main guy can’t understand a single thing the titular girl says, and I’m right there with him (even after comparing with the translation that is usually given, I’m often at a complete loss). It seems like even the Okinawan cadence is totally different, with tons of long vowels that I often struggled to even read in my head.

Give it a try if you ever found yourself thinking “Yuru Camp needs more Aoi”!

10 Likes

Aoi speaks Gifu-ben, though, which is near enough to Kansai-ben as to make no difference.

4 Likes

As @Belthazar said, Gifu-ben isn’t really anything special. That would be more like having more Tsugaru-ben in flying witch.

1 Like

Maybe it’s actually written in Okinawan language? That’s widely recognized as being a language of its own right:

5 Likes

No, I think it’s the actual 沖縄弁, which is a mix of Japanese, 沖縄口, and loan words from English due to the long presence of US military in the region.
I.e., it’s worse :stuck_out_tongue: (and yet it is still considered a dialect of Japanese).

9 Likes

Ah, gotcha! Well, that sounds … interesting :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I personally don’t have a problem understanding her but I have a friend who is just absolutely plagued by every line :sweat_smile: so I wasn’t sure whose experience is more typical.

It’s funny you say that because I just started reading flying witch vol. 10 last night (came out a few days ago) and the first chapter involves visiting everyone in town for おすそ分け, so there was actually a decent amount more than normal! Not as bad as the first time you see it in the series though.

I admit my knowledge of Okinawan and Okinawan Japanese are both very rudimentary but as @Naphthalene said I’m pretty sure the language used in the book is 沖縄弁 (though they do refer to it as うちなーぐち but that can apparently refer to either one, very troublesome).

Here’s an example of a page that has an inline translation rather than having the other character translate; you can kind of compare and contrast to see where some words are just sound shift away from Japanese (O to U for example in the ぬ particle) and others are totally new.

Another sound shift:

There are also some distinctly dialect patterns like だはず (which means だと思う or かもしれない, rather than sharing the meaning of standard はず)

Not an example of anything, but it made me laugh

13 Likes

That just sounds so painful to read. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

What the hell

8 Likes

True to the title, it is indeed ツラすぎる :laughing:

7 Likes

A miserable heat wave has sapped my energy for reading recently, but to demonstrate my sound, non-impulsive use of time and money…
I bought and read the new manga about The Joker as a single dad raising Batman who has been turned into a baby, ワンオペJOKER.

It’s one where… the premise severely overshadows the whole thing, but it’s a solid execution of that premise I guess??

More talk about the Dad Joker Baby Batman comic

It’s played really really straight as a “diary of a single parent” type manga, with the joke just being who’s in the situation, pretty much like Way of the House Husband (I assume, as I haven’t actually read that yet).
As that… it’s pretty cute! The Joker immediately takes to baby batman and strives to raise him right, to preserve the arch enemy dynamic in some way. He doesn’t really do a lot that’s… Jokery? Except as flavor, like burning the money in Dark Knight and dancing on the stairs are both referenced directly. He can like, go around town in Joker makeup and not be recognized. It’s presented as like, a bachelor who was wild but then settled down immediately once he realized he had the responsibility of taking care of a kid. But it’s the Joker.

It takes place in “”““Gotham City””“” with heavy air quotes because in everything but name and some aesthetics it is 100% Japan. There’s a lot that has to do with like, tense preschool (?) enrollment beauracracy, for example (which is maybe a thing in America too, I have no idea really, but the forms are obviously Japanese forms), Joker puts a hiragana chart on the wall, and Anpanman shows up as “Cherry Pie Man.”
One touch along these lines I actually love is all the sound effects are drawn like in American comic books, but they’re a mix of English and Japanese onomatopoeia. A fun detail!

They don’t really address how the premise would be wildly, wildly messed up from Batman’s perspective, although it’s mentioned Bruce Wayne has gone missing so maybe they’ll address it?? I have no idea.

I guess I don’t know what to think overall. In a way I kind of like how grounded it is? Like, Harley Quinn shows up and I kinda really like her character here because she’s usually so incredibly over the top in most other media. Here she’s like, the friend you had wild parties with who hasn’t had the leap in responsibility you’ve had and doesn’t really know careful to be and you want to still hang out with them but also there’s a distance there… like, that’s a cute and human take on that dynamic, albeit still a pretty simple one.

But at the end of the day, I don’t really like modern Joker as an aesthetic (if Cesar Romero were the single dad though…) so spackling that onto a fine single-dad manga isn’t going to hook me except out of morbid curiosity.
But I am still morbidly curious where it goes from here… how much legs could this premise possibly have??

Apparently there’s a gourmet manga starring Superman starting up, SUPERMAN VS 飯 – that genuinely sounds up my alley.

And on that note, I reached my nominal manga goal for the year. Just under the wire!!

6 Likes

Hi guys!
Sorry, but I’m totally new here - what’s the name of the application/website? Thanks a lot :grinning:

It’s called Bookmeter. If you sign up and add yourself to the big table at the top of this thread, people will find you and connect with you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will certainly try it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes
週刊プロレス No. 2122

林下 / 朱里 reminded me of a couple things: that wrestling’s really good, and that if I pay attention (instead of doing reviews on the side like usual), I can generally follow the gist of all the commentary and in-ring promos, and that’s cool!
Per the latter point, I think I should try to make more of an effort to set aside more time for watching stuff in Japanese where I’m not exercising or doing reviews, and for the former I should get back to reading magazines!

The first thing in this one is a big long retrospective feature about Naito’s career on his 15th anniversary, complete with interviews, reflections, photos, and a nice letter from Hiromu. This would probably be great if I was a huge Naito fan, but I tend to like my wrestlers more hammy and emotional than cool and apathetic, so although I have nothing against him he’s never been my favorite.
The general arc of his career (stardust genius → snubbed by the fan poll → ingobernables) I think is about as famous as any storyline is to overseas fans, so it wasn’t hugely new ground, but it filled in some details, like apparently he was a very confident rookie, didn’t find the New Japan Dojo tough after training with Animal Hamaguchi, doesn’t really go in for senpai/kouhai hierarchies, and is a dyed-in-the-wool fan of specifically New Japan.

There’s an ad for some kind of Minoru Suzuki vs. Kento Miyahara thing as an Amazon Prime exclusive??
I would actually love to see a match between those two, but as far as I can tell the ad is wildly misleading and it’s a six-man tag. And I assume it’s region-locked anyway, since in the past no matter how many times I pressed the buy button, Japanese amazon refused to grant me its streaming tokusatsu riches.

Here’s an interview that’s pretty heart-breaking given recent circumstances:

: (

岩谷 キッドがいなくなったら自分はだらけてしまうので、タッグベルトを持って、つなぎとめたいですね。
キッド 私は常に麻優さんの隣にいますけどね。何があっても。
rough translation: “Mayu: I’d get lazy without Kid around, so I want to hold the tag belts so we’re stuck together. Kid: I’ll always be beside Mayu anyway. No matter what happens.”

:sob:

In all seriousness though, I like the foreshadowing, and I hope that the Oedotai storyline goes well for Starlight! The interview made her sound very much plucky and determined, in fun contrast to Mayu’s laid back personality.

ジュリア’s column talked about two mentors who helped get her to a turning point from crying on the train home that she wasn’t the wrestler she wanted to be, to where she is now (Mio Shirai, who I’d never actually heard of before and is Io’s sister! And Hideki Suzuki, an indie wrestler who was a columnist in the magazine recently before heading to America).
That’s interesting in itself, but in talking about her limited MMA experience, she also gets the closest I’ve seen in Japanese so far (reading relatively official sources like this magazine and Mayu’s book, not online sources) to directly describing what, you know, makes pro-wrestling pro-wrestling:

MMAは相手の技を受けるのではなく、よけて、殺す気で自分の技を出しに行くような。同じ闘いだけどプロレスとは全くの別物。 。。。
「プロレスは信頼関係が大事」ってよく言うよね? この言葉、すごく誤解してる人も多くて、「だから選手たちは皆仲良しじゃないと!」とか言ってくる人がいるんだけど。違うよ、ルールを守るって意味で信頼関係が必要なだけで。MMAだって目に指突っ込んだりはしないでしょ? そういう信頼関係。
Roughly translated:
“in MMA you don’t take your opponent’s moves - you dodge and try to viciously reply with your own techniques. It’s also a fight, but it’s a different beast than pro-wrestling. … ‘Trust is important in pro wrestling’ gets said a lot, doesn’t it? There’s a lot of people who completely misunderstand this, and say stuff like ‘that means all the wrestlers are friends!’ - not at all! It just means that to establish rules you need a relationship of trust. There’s no eye-gouging in MMA, you know? It’s
about that kind of trust.”

I haven’t mentioned Visualist in these, but every issue there’s a mildly risque model photo of a woman wrestler, with very silly purple prose captions describing like for example, Risa Sera staged with carefully arranged smears of dirt as though she were gardening in a bikini for some reason.
It’s more cheesy than really objectifying or offensive to me, but I do have mixed feelings about it. Anyway, there’s a separate collected volume on sale now so there’s a brief feature about that. I’m somewhat tempted, just because hey – cool photos of cool wrestlers I like. But eeehhh… even as tame as it is it maybe feels slightly sleazier than I’m ready to go wrestling-merchandise-wise. Probably the only reason I don’t have that Roppongi 3K modeling book, or more pictures of Tanahashi, come to think of it.

The history column talks about a “任侠秘話” about Pat Patterson and Inoki, which made me very confused because I was expecting a story involving the yakuza, but it meant LITERAL 任侠 and was just about like, how Pat Patterson was nice to Inoki at various times. Oh well.

Mutoh’s column talked about 武藤チルドレン, wrestlers he’s trained or mentored over the years and geez yeah, I didn’t read it very carefully but if half the names I saw mentioned were 武藤チルドレン it really is an impressive group.

Coming back to this after a bit of a break reminds me of why they give the advice of sticking with one source for a long time: I noticed word look-ups have dramatically reduced for these over the months, from several a paragrah to like, 0-2 an article. I can see a lot of places I would have looked stuff up if it weren’t for SRS reviews in the meantime as well: いわく, for example, and the ever-frequent 醍醐味.
Noticing progress like that reminds me of @fallynleaf 's study log, in a good way!

4 Likes