[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Thanks as always for these!!

And yeah, I’m… not terribly excited about crowds returning in America. I still think it’s too soon, considering the percentage of our population that is still unvaccinated. But it is undeniably true that the crowd is an important part of wrestling. It’s just hard not to also think about the very real danger of the pandemic :pensive:

If I recall correctly, pro wrestling during golden week in Japan was pretty slow this year because most of the country went back under a stay at home order after they declared a state of emergency when covid cases started to rise again. NJPW also started having a really difficult time around now, because they had a covid outbreak among their roster, which started with postponing a couple title matches, then turned into postponing their big shows and cancelling some smaller ones when the outbreak turned out to be nine people instead of just two. Then Ospreay had to vacate the title because of a neck injury, and well, it was a string of unfortunate events for them as a company pretty much all month long. Of course, they’re not the only company around, but I watched several other companies do their big shows that month as empty arena shows, and I think there was just less wrestling in general happening then.

Kenoh does seem to have recovered, thankfully, and is about to wrestle in a 7vs7 (er, now 6vs6, after recent intrafaction drama in NOAH lol) match at the big CyberFight supershow on June 6! His faction, Kongoh, is going to be facing the president of DDT along with some other DDT folks. Takagi and Kenoh’s last match was hilarious, so I’m looking forward to this one. Kenoh is amazing at completely no-selling DDT’s nonsense. This show is probably going to be one of the best wrestling shows all year, honestly. And the TJPW title is getting defended as one of the three main events!

It’s cool to hear a bit from Giulia and the Ice Ribbon champ! I’m looking forward to what Giulia’s column will bring! I believe Kamiyu and Mina are about to get columns, so theirs should be fun to look forward to as well!

I shared this post with my friends in our very LGBTQ wrestling fan server, haha, and there is a lot of interest in seeing the suit photo! Do you mind sharing it? You would make some wlw wrestling fans very happy.

Congrats on crossing the halfway mark in your goals!

1 Like

That Cyberfight supershow and those columns do sound like things to look forward to, thanks!

Haha, sure!

suit photo

2 Likes

I’ve already complained about it, but the weekly recommendations from Booklive are so weird.
Here’s what I got, based on the fact I am “currently” reading FukaBoku 3

First one: okay, it matches the topic, I guess.
Second one: no idea. Sounds like Cinderella? Maybe?
Third one: WTF? What makes you think reading a manga about LGBTQA+ characters means I would be interested in a harem about large breasted female slaves (based on title)?
Fourth one: Why would you even recommend FukaBoku 1 if I’m reading volume 3??

8 Likes

Wellllll

Girl A falls for MC for pretty much no reason apart from believing its fate that they be together. Girl A and MC become kinda like…friends with benefits? Girl A has a rival, Girl B, who always kinda loses to girl A. Girl B finds out about girl A’s love for MC and decides she can piss of girl A by spending time and doing stuff with MC so she goes for it and kinda ends up falling for MC in the process it seems. Girl C is completely unaware of girl A and B’s feelings and is under the impression she is the only one who likes MC. Theres also girl D who likes girl A for her face and money, but she hasn’t really been important yet. Its worth noting though that these 5 girls are all in the same friend group, but no one knows that everyone is a lesbian.

So I guess between all of those, there is really nowhere for there to be some web/crossover yet? Maybe in the future, but who knows.

9 Likes

Cross posting this here:

I have some volumes of yagakimi i was gonna give away + some other books. If you’re in the US and interested, just lemme know and I’ll give you my discord name and we can work out the deetos.

3 Likes

This is an actual plot of something? I missed the name of the manga/book if so.

Yeah its a very rough outline of the harem in 私が恋人になれるわけないじゃんムリムリ(*ムリじゃなかった?!)

Probably one of the dumbest books I’ve read alongside 俺を好きなのはお前だけかよ

1 Like

Does that mean you don’t recommend it? I can’t decide if that plot sounds stupid enough that it will be enjoyable or not. :joy:

1 Like

It really depends like entirely on the person. Its just one of those books where if you’re the target audience, you’ll love it, and if you’re not…you’ll want to pour bleach into your eyes.

I’d say if you’re down for some:

1. Yuri
  2. Harem
  3. Romcom
  4. Very casual and crude narration
  5. Convenient story telling
  6. Lewdness

Then you’ll probably like this series. If you’re looking for an actually well constructed story that has some meaning, moral, or inspiration behind it then you’re probably going to be disappointed. I enjoy those stories every once in awhile personally, but…I tend to really dislike when stories just take themselves too seriously. Watanare does a great job of not taking itself seriously and embracing the ridiculousness.

2 Likes

Hello, please advise, those who are willing!

What to read after I finish すべてがFになる? (Apologies for remaking it after realizing I messed up the options. eta: and then remaking both again because editing the post defeated me. :sob:)

今回表示する
  • 蜘蛛ですが、なにか 6
  • 伯爵と妖精 11
  • Go back and finish 君の名は
  • At least make a bit of a push on 青桐…
  • That thing you were reading for a bit? 機動強襲型令嬢アリシア物語
  • Maybe some manga
  • Something else (please specify)

0 voters

Lately I’ve been working up the gumption to maybe nominate something to a book club for the first time. After thinking about what I would most enjoy (re)reading with others, I would say the first volumes of 7SEEDS and 伯爵と妖精.

よろしく 3
  • Nominate 7SEEDS 1 to Intermediate
  • Nominate 伯爵と妖精 1 to Intermediate
  • Nominate 伯爵と妖精 1 to Advanced (fast option)
  • Nominate both 7SEEDS 1 and 伯爵と妖精 1
  • Nominate neither (for reasons to do with the works themselves)
  • Nominate neither (for reasons to do with you not wanting to run a club)

0 voters

2 Likes

I tried the preview and ye gods no. The premise seems to be three teenage boys turned into three hawt teenage girls and basically drooling over each other’s body or something. No thanks.

I spent a large chunk of time this weekend binging 14歳 and well, I finished it!

Wowee, it sure is… something! Definitely the weirdest manga I’ve read so far (Jojo’s for example is much more straightforward).
For my own sake, I feel like I have to try to recap the plot, so here’s a (spoiler tagged) attempt at a 5 sentence summary:

'5 Sentence' Summary of the plot of 14

About 100 years in the future, a 14 year-old girl consults a psychic about an unplanned pregnancy, at which point the psychic vomits a ghost which intones the ambiguous yet ominous phrase: “14歳で終わる.”

Meanwhile, in the colossal black obsidian pyramid which dwarfs the Tokyo Dome and houses a major artificial chicken production company, a scientist notices an eyeball has formed in one of the vats of chicken goop, and this eyeball swiftly forms into a humanoid with the head of a chicken, who escapes and becomes the Cambridge-educated Dr. Chicken George, a reclusive yet brilliant scientist, who bears a vengeful grudge against humanity on behalf of animals and plots to escape earth on a rocket as ominous omens foretelling earth’s destruction are beginning to accumulate, one of which being that around the world children are being born with green hair and subsequently facing prejudice (including the President of the United State’s newborn son, America); to face this calamity, The President seeks out and spars with Dr. Chicken George on his trash island in the middle of the ocean before the latter escapes on a helicopter.

Also interested in utilizing Chicken George’s vast intellect is Grandmaster Rose, a capitalist oligarch who seeks immortality, which only Chicken George can solve the secrets of, so an elaborate television production is produced with the twin goals of being so captivating that it distracts the populace from the mounting environmental catastrophes (namely, all plants on earth have now withered and died), and to infatuate Chicken George with Barbara, the star of the show who is an agent trained to be able to fall in love with anyone - this works and Chicken George is turned towards humanity’s side for the sake of Barbara, however he sees it coming and takes a drug to undo his scientific abilities beforehand, and the quest for an immortality drug ends up leading to a lot of body horror, but does produce commercialized human clones referred to as もの.

The world is definitely going to end, so the leaders of the world’s nations send a message to space asking for help from aliens, who do respond but it goes very badly for the humans, and so the only remaining hope for humanity’s existence whatsoever is a group of three-year-old kids who are selected because of their great luck to ride a spaceship constructed by Chicken George to be sent into space so humanity can live on and look for a new home; one of these children is the President of the United States’ son, who dies in a helicopter accident because of a centipede, but is resurrected in a strange way via Chicken George’s DNA centrifuge because it turns out America and the child from the prologue (you know, the unexpected pregnancy), Kiyora, share exactly the same genetic composition, just rearranged, and Kiyora has “one additional cell,” so they stick Kiyora in the centrifuge and rearrange him into America, and give the additional cell leftover to Kiyora’s mother.

Kiyora/America and the other lucky kids (who are all three year olds at this point) eventually do manage to blast off into space, on Chicken George’s personal spaceship (which is shaped like a Tyrannosaurus Rex), and they face a lot of additional hardships, including a ghost version (??) of Chicken George, and Grandmaster Rose in a child clone body, before the book time skips to the critical date when these kids will turn 14 and it’s really all supposed to be over, by which point sentient talking cockroaches are about all that is remaining on Earth, and kids are starting to turn into T-Rexes as they turn 14, but they manage to escape the bounds of space somehow, discovering that what we think of as space is actually a caterpillar in another world, much like our own, except everyone is chicken people like Chicken George, so they make sure the caterpillar is doing okay and isn’t run over or anything, and then they jump back into the caterpillar and ambiguously return to Earth or our universe in some form or another, while Chicken George('s ghost?) remains in the overworld.

Five normal sentences!

It leaves out things like a T-Rex in a suitcase, a cactus person foretelling earth’s doom, Chicken Lucy, the weirdly villainous Vice President of the United States, how the kids can turn invisible via ninjutsu, the fact that when the extremely Giger-y aliens show up in a colossal cross-shaped spaceship, the plot to draw ratings via discovering a forged mummy of Jesus, the secret “in case of emergency” clause left behind by America’s Founding Fathers that’s just “if the worst happens, be sure to only save the white people”, the genetically modified monsters and parasites, and the relevation that according to Chicken George, humanity was not in fact descended from mammals, but from T-Rexes (there’s really a lot of T-Rex imagery in this book). Probably more things I’m forgetting besides.

Is it good? Well… Yeah, I think mostly!

Further discussion

The edition I’m reading is really gorgeous, and on some level a great presentation of something extremely weird is all I’m really ever asking for, but even besides that I think the book mostly (mostly!!) feels like the good, endearing kind of weird ambitious shlock, rather than the mean kind.

Thematically, I think it generally works in a surprisingly relevant way as being a story about humanity trying (and generally failing) to cope with impending climate catastrophe (破滅 is a key word) - the main meaning for “14” in the title is a metaphor for humanity – that humanity will manage just enough self-sustained complexity to self-destruct before ever reaching collective maturity. Which sounds really cynical! And I guess it is… but maybe it’s because the story is told in such an anything-goes sort of way world-building wise, but it comes across as still kind of sincerely hopeful to me somehow. Like we’ll probably all die in a climate catastrophe, but at least the flare out will be weird and sort of beautiful, and something will go on, somehow…

Tonally, Umezu’s characters are always so consistently straight-faced and direct, that it feels like an intricate box full of clockwork people reacting to things, more than it does like, a deep character study. Which on the one hand makes it even harder to stay grounded in the story, but on the other, helps with the feeling of it being a spectacle flashing by. Like – I’d prefer that over something that goes really hard into angsty characterization or real-world politics and drops the ball completely, if that makes sense.

Umezu’s art style is still an acquired taste, but I thought there were sections in here (particularly when the crucifix Giger aliens show up, or when the immortality treatment goes real bad) that are genuinely awe-inspiring.

Also did I mention the spaceship shaped like a T-Rex?

That said, there are parts I’m not into… the last volume explores a lot of the same ground as The Drifting Classroom (Umezu mentions in the interview at the back of the book that he conceived the series largely as a continuation thematically of that series, so it’s good I finished reading it first), but with even younger kids, which makes all the horrible things that happen extra unpleasant. You need a pretty strong stomach for body horror, gross stuff in general, and very bad things happening to people including small children if you read this.
Also, the most outright evil person in the book is pretty heavily queer/trans-coded, albeit in that Sci-fi body-swapping, cloning, “what even is an individual anymore” sort of way. Still, not my favorite…

I didn’t look up that many words, so it would be a relatively quick read, except that there tends to be a lot of bizarre exposition and paneling like this:

It’s definitely kind of exhausting to read in long stretches, but overall I think it’s a hoot, and I’m definitely glad to know it exists and what it’s deal is.
I would recommend reading The Drifting Classroom first, and if you like that, and want that but with a far larger and weirder scale, check this out.

This is one where I couldn’t help but take some pictures as I read, presented without comment:

Pictures of 14

While the doorstopper editions of this were extremely cool, I’m very much looking forward to reading manga with sensible volume demarcations again.

I pick what to read next with an element of randomness, and since I’ve enjoyed reading ハルタ so much, I put pretty much every series I’ve come across in that magazine into the queues I draw from in one form or another, so what happened to come up was 煙と蜜, which is the series with the lovely historical fiction Taisho-era setting, and the uncomfortable premise: a 30-year-old betrothed to a 12-year-old girl… (and not necessarily in a “oh no this is awful and she needs to escape” way)
I expect to continue to have very mixed feelings about it! But at least this way they’ll be informed by the whole series, and not just starting in the middle, and if it does turn out to be 100% handled well somehow that would of course be nice.
It’s only a couple of volumes before where I’m already reading in magazine-form, so it should go quite quickly indeed, either way.

5 Likes

After 14 I was starved for manga that comes in regular sized volumes and isn’t completely ludicrous, so I ended up reading the two currently released volumes of 煙と蜜 by 長蔵ヒロコ today as well.

I enjoyed them, but my mixed feelings do still persist.
On the unambiguously good side, I love how well the art conjures a very specific time and place:
大正五年 名古屋
I enjoy getting that flavor of a real place and time filtered through the fiction, and it’s nice to see and hear about real places like the 金鯱城, or to see 夏目漱石 namedropped for like the third time in a period piece I’ve read.

The uncomfortableness I mentioned in the last post about the premise is a tricky one though.
To be clear – it 100% is not a sexualized story about how great it is to have a child bride.
The most important bar is well cleared in that the story and all of the characters in it treat the girl, Himeko, 100% like the naive child that she is. But since she’s our main POV character, it can be hard to figure out how much the book itself agrees with her naivete, because her main reaction to the betrothal is that she’s psyched about it - “my 許嫁 is a cool adult man - 素敵!”
Like it’s a lot of this:

The book (and Harta’s copy about it, from what I remember) leans hard enough on “circumstances put these two engaged people in a mildly intimate situation and it’s embarrassing!” type situations, played for laughs and heart flutters, that I do worry that’s like, all it’s going to end up being - a romance from the perspective of the younger side of a worryingly vast age gap.

But if I had to guess, I think this will end up being a coming of age story, with the “romance” complicated significantly as the fiance, as-yet stone-faced and mysterious but seemingly kind, either reveals more of a sinister side, and/or like, dies in WWI. After all (not knowing really anything about Japanese involvement in that war), he’s a soldier and it’s 1916, so foreshadowing-wise, I feel like it would be a surprise if that’s NOT how the author gets out of the uncomfortable marriage scenes set for three years from now… As much or more than the “romance” angle, the mystery of who Bunji is and what he thinks of all this and what he’s going to do seem to me like the hook driving the plot as well.

But who knows! That’s a problem with serial storytelling - it’s hard to seed big tonal shifts ahead of time, I think, and on the face of it, there’s surprisingly few “yes, we know this situation is not great” winks to the camera in these early volumes, so the tenterhooks feeling of “depending on the choices the author makes, this could be quite good or really, really, really bad…” feeling persists, which is too bad.

I’m happy enough to keep reading it incidentally in magazine form (and will read the volume coming out in a week or two to catch up still), but I wouldn’t necessarily feel comfortable recommending it without a more definite sense of where it was going.

As for what I drew next… it’s らんま1/2! So this won’t be the last I hear of the word 許嫁 for a bit…
I was hoping to draw this because I actually really like the series, but haven’t ever gotten close to finishing it, and it’s been in limbo for a while after I read a few volumes when I was still reading slowly enough in Japanese to count by volume more than series… I’d like to read more of it before exploring Rumiko Takahashi’s other work.
I don’t know if I’ll just try to churn through the whole rest of it, or take breaks as it gets to be too much of… Ranma stuff or what, but I’ll at least try to make some progress for a while.

3 Likes

Oh! Nice!
I don’t when, but I’ll probably read it as well in the near future.
In terms of schedule, I’m currently reading a manga series called 人馬 which is… weird? I guess? but fun. After that, I will read 天冥の標 3 which is quite the doorstopper itself (550 pages) and then I’ll get to Ranma. So I’ll be lagging behind a bit, but I kinda feel like reading it at the moment anyway!

Edit: WAIT I forgot about the big recommendation list I got a while ago in this very thread. ド・ウ・シ・ヨ・ー

4 Likes

Finished すべてがFになる! This puts me at 25 books for the year, which is significant to me since I read 26 last year. Not only will I next equal (and then hopefully eclipse) that total, in doing so I will move the 2021 小説 shelf up above the 2020 one on bookmeter, hooray. :blush:

The polls I put up yesterday, the ones before I messed them up and redid them had totally different results to what they are right now, lol. That will teach me to be more careful and get them made correctly the first time, maybe! :sweat_smile:

Today I had another of my basketball games to go to. I was too close on すべてがFになる to read anything else, but I found that I could read on full timeouts and at halftime and between quarters, but for 20-second timeouts do anki. Success. (Manga would still be better. Next time!)

Speaking of manga, when I got to the arena I was way early, so I sat in my car and read–but I wasn’t way early enough to finish the book, so rather than tormenting myself, I started something new! The other day a friend mentioned that they’re making a drama of a manga she likes a lot. The author sounded familiar, and when I went and looked her up, it’s Tamura Yumi (who wrote 7SEEDS)! I’ve been meaning to read other stuff by her (and in fact mostly haven’t because I am pretty sure I will love her other stuff also so I was hoarding it), and with a drama adaptation in the works it feels like now is the time. So today I started ミステリと言う勿れ! It’s about as different from 7SEEDS as can be, but already I love it. :heart_eyes: Genre tags: Drama, Josei, Mystery; category tags: 21st Century, Award-Nominated Work, Clever Protagonist, Crime/s, Detective/s, Episodic, Expressionless Protagonist, Female Demographic with Male Lead, Japan, Perceptive Male Lead. (In copying those over from mangaupdates because I’m bad at summaries, I see the episodic tag, which worries me a little, since episodic stuff is generally not my thing. On the other hand, Tamura Yumi… yes. Should be okay!)

After the game (a heartbreaking loss), I sat in my car again to finish すべてがFになる, and after that read some more of volume 1 of ミステリと言う勿れ. I don’t know what novel I’ll start next (guiltily avoids looking at the poll results), but already it’s been a good reading day. :yellow_heart:

10 Likes

Speaking of needing brain degaussing.

(Blurred for gore)

3 Likes

First anything finished this year… When I set my goal of 5 books and 20 manga I hadn’t anticipated moving during the year. It was a maybe if I found a better home. Well I did find it and I spent the first five months of the year mostly doing moving things.

But there you go, I finished a book, graded reader, but level 4 is pretty text dense, imo. The stories don’t fall well in my taste. I don’t hate them or necessarily dislike them, but I get almost bored by them, mostly because they are fairly predictable.

Someone is falling in love/is in love → will end in tragedy
Is such a common theme. -.-

9 Likes

Maybe that just means it’s time to move on from graded readers! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, I do read other stuff too for sure. But I did want to finish off the last couple of volumes I have, just because well, sometimes it is good to widen my reading horizons and also they do include a lot of famous literature, or short stories from well-known writers. In that way, that is very valuable for getting to know what Japanese literature have looked liked.

And I can be sure the level is only +1 or without anything unknown. And that can be nice too at times.

5 Likes

So, I finished 人馬. It’s only 6 volumes covering three generations (two books per generation). I really liked volume 4, but volumes 5 and 6 were a prequel (so back to the generation of the grandparents, from the point of view of the characters in volume 4). It honestly brings nothing really new to the story since most of the major point were already mentioned in volume 2 when characters talk about their past… Meanwhile, at the end of volume 4, there are signs that we are reaching the 幕末 (second half of the 江戸 period, when Japan started opening to foreigners). We were one time skip away from the 明治 period, bringing early cars, trains and automation (such as factories). In the book, centaurs and human got to a fragile balance where centaurs basically focus on strength-based labour or speed (since they are faster than a horse carrying a human). All that will become redundant with more advanced methods of transportation and assembly lines, so I would have been curious to see how centaurs could adapt to the change (especially since they need a lot more food than human, but their wages are going to be the same…). Well, maybe the author doesn’t know either.

One thing that also felt like a missed opportunity is that character are a bit too simple. In the second arc, in particular, literally everybody is nice, without trying to trick people out of their money or anything. I mean, common, the main characters don’t even know what money is. It thought for sure that they would get scammed at every corner. But no.

8 Likes