[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Congratulations! :tada:

Actually, you probably are overestimating the importance of these references. They are based on the first game and it had a very simple plot with a hero defeating evil. (I hope I don’t have to mark this as a spoiler.) I guess there is some flavor if you know the characters, but it’s it isn’t really that important and you didn’t miss too much.
The only references to the later games are Mirage partners.

(I was expecting that, but I still would like some more in-depths references to the whole series. :sweat_smile: But I know it would make the interested audience smaller)

Yes, I too mostly like this game for the general vibe. It’s so flashy, colorful, energetic, vibrant… I agree that the main plot is it’s weakest element.

I did enjoy the side-stories, thought, about the personal growth of each character.
And I was always looking forward to the new music videos :sparkles:

…a director named…

You know, I didn’t notice this at all, thanks for pointing it out!

a character with a heavily exaggerated comedy gaijin accent, who somehow also sends texts that way, in exaggerated katakana??

Since I was playing in English, I don’t know which character this was. I’m suspecting Eleonora Yumizuru?

My favorite character was the Tiki fan from Tiki’s side-story. :upside_down_face: I really liked her attitude.

2 Likes

電子版特別 chapters should be illegal.

熊ベア, volume 3:

this volume was ~60k characters longer than the previous one and surprisingly better written.

3.5/5

i keep telling myself i’ll finish a book every two day but it keeps dragging on.

10M characters this week!!!

i found this syntax really cute, 3人は「「「はい」」」と

9 Likes

That’s a good point! I suppose if they were more complex references they probably would have been more interesting to a non-FE fan anyway.
I mostly just remember hearing the name マルス a number of times in a late-game fight and it not really registering before I suddenly realized I did know who they were referencing after all! Thanks, スマブラ

I totally agree with you on the side stories! I did most of them, and the biggest sign it was time for me to stop was when it was late at night and I was trying to power through the last chapter and didn’t want to pause and do the new side stories that came up.
What I should have done was go to bed and come back to do the side stories at my leisure, but like when you get near the end of a good book I think once I feel the end coming up I often try to power through, it’s just a lot harder to judge how much is left with a game… perhaps I’ll still come back to the remaining side stories sometime, now that I’ve slept and stepped back away from the game for a bit!
I feel really guilty for leaving チキ hanging on her last side story prompt but still asking her to upgrade all my carnages… and I didn’t get to see whatever the payoff was with your favorite character!

Haha, nope! It was Barry Goodman. He does a lot of things like, attaching an over-enunciated デス to practically ever sentence, or sprinkling ガッデム everywhere, despite also clearly being fluent. He reminds me of a couple of one-off Yakuza series characters who also give me a very “Japanese voice actor doing the accent of an American speaking Japanese” and it sounds very noticeably artificial and silly to me, but I guess I really have no idea if it’s accurate or not! (he definitely wouldn’t text like that though, haha)
Eleanora’s only language quirk that I detected is saying ハリウッド a lot.

3 Likes

Ah, I forgot he’s even more likely suspect! :grin:

1 Like

I picked up the first 2 volumes of 違国日記 which are available to read until 22th 10pm Japan time. I was super pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and the characters and the style is lovely too (imo), so I’m just here to plug it a bit while it’s still free to read. There’s 7 volumes out right now, and I haven’t checked whether it’s completed yet. Maybe I don’t want to know quite yet.

It’s very slow and every day feeling. The premise is that
after Asa’s parents die, her mother’s estranged sister takes her in. And then we get to see them figure things out as they go. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have been telling myself to start reading Japanese for so long, but I haven’t been able to actually start reading. I have been looking for the right book, the right manga, the right article, too easy, too hard, too many furigana, not enough furigana, just looking and looking and reading one page here and one page there, not really getting started with anything.

This Tofugu article was mentioned in a forum post, and it describes me exactly. First page syndrome.. So following the advice in that article, I’ll just start reading something, 30 minutes every day, read one book to the end and then the next book. No more jumping from one book to the other looking for the “magic” to suddenly happen.

My first book in this challenge is a childhood favorite, The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. Reading it in Japanese when I know the story well will be a fun challenge I think.

20 Likes

This is where I failed a decade ago.

Once I got some basic grammar down (via intensive reading a manga volume way above my level, then joining in the Absolute Beginner Book Club for some manga), I picked up a manga series that I knew very well (from having read it in English, and having seen the anime adaptation).

My goal for reading it wasn’t to understand everything. Rather, it was to build up recognition of grammar I’d already learned. As well, any grammar I didn’t know that came up a lot, I would look up as well.

For vocabulary, I’d look up anything unknown that came up multiple times. I’d also check for things where I felt I could guess the meaning from context, just to confirm.

If I had trouble understanding portions, I’d decide whether I wanted to look up a few things to help make it clear, or just keep reading and see if the next page is easier. The lack of comprehension in parts wasn’t an issue because I already knew everything that was happening in advance.

7 Likes
You inspired me to just do the same!

I was jumping from book to book the whole past year as well, only in my case it was always “too difficult”. I have ABBC 10 minutes biographies copy, and I’ll start reading it for 30 minutes daily. Starting today.

16 Likes

Happy 猫の日! :cat2:

I finished 本好きの下剋上 vol. 3 on Saturday, exactly on schedule, averaging one chapter per day for the whole time I was reading it. Considering what a chonker of a book it is I’m pretty happy with my performance. (Also very happy that my self-imposed manga ban can finally be lifted!)

I’m also now on pace to finish 風の道しるべ by this weekend, possibly even by Friday, which would allow me to start novel #3 two days before the beginning of the month. I think overlapping both books was definitely the right call – it allowed me to get ahead of the curve with one while maintaining my original pace, whereas I don’t think I would have had the stamina to simply increase my pace with 本好き instead.

Not sure what I’ll read next but I think it’ll probably be something I can finish in two or three weeks, so I can get even further ahead of schedule for April.

Current candidates:

• 京都寺町三条のホームズ vol. 1
  • 異世界食堂 vol. 1
  • 薬屋のひとりごと vol. 1
  • 雷の季節の終わりに
  • わたしの幸せな結婚

If anyone feels like nudging me in a particular direction, I’m open to suggestions :slight_smile:

11 Likes

is a hard read the first time you encounter that setting. Once you get used to the vocabulary, things get easier, but in my case, that was volume 2 already :stuck_out_tongue:
As a stand-alone, it might take you longer than usual. I guess that’s something to keep in mind if you are aiming for a certain pace.

4 Likes

If you do pick this one, please let me know how you like it. It’s been on my list for a while, mostly because I love the title. Not sure when I’m going to read it though.

4 Likes

熊ベア, volume 4

i keep telling myself half a volume everyday, but fatigue finally caught up.

3.6/5

the writing, the character and the “plot” keep getting better. it contains itself very well(the events of the book end in the book).

TIL i learned that these are ねんどろい

i also saw a bear statue one my walk yesterday. it was to bears stacked on top of each other like the restaurant

at first i really thought it’s going to be supper boring but fortunately got proven wrong! the difficulty keeps rising tho…

interesting words,
露出狂
巨乳
触手
母乳

her killing the kraken for soy sauce and feeling guilty was too funny

Edit:

finally managed to clean the vocabulary builder of my kindle and i looked up 529 (unique?) words

6 Likes

I see you have met yet another guild master. :eyes:

I also found her attitude towards the kraken hilarious.

- A giant squid monster is blocking the port? Tough luck, I hope it goes away soon.
- Yeah, this is really hurting our rice and miso imports.
- … hold my oren juice.

2 Likes

the illustrations in this volume where bad, the kraken fight gets a 0/5 from me

2 Likes

You’re saying this as if reading a book in Japanese in three days instead of two is bad! I’ve been reading 本好き book 6 for ten days now.

6 Likes

When you read this, please let me know what you think. I currently have the first book as well as the first three manga volumes (I didn’t realize the manga was based on a novel series, so I brought the manga first), but I haven’t read any of it yet. It is a bit above my level. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a very easy books. Honzuki is much harder it took me between an hour or two to get through each chapter. It’s also about how much time i spend on social media/waste

1 Like

I just finished reading 忘れえぬ魔女の物語 :slight_smile: It’s a yuri light novel about a girl who repeats every single day mulitple, on average five, times(so a time loop, basically). However, other people end up acting differently on each repeat and because of this and how she remembers a lot of stuff other people don’t, she hasn’t been able to make any friends. That is, until she one day meets a girl that consistently keeps approaching her on every single repeat of the same day, completely without fail.

I’d say it kind of feels like a mix of Adachi and Shimamura and Steins gate, with both the romance and yuri but also the weird time loop stuff. I also feel like I should say that the romance isn’t really the main focus, even if it’s there and also basically what makes the plot happen. The book focuses more on the main character and how she differs from other people due to having experienced five times as much stuff as them even though they’re the same age, and also some of the time loop stuff. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who at least somewhat likes both yuri and stuff with time loops :slight_smile:

And… overall I really liked the book!

Now it’s time for spoilers:

Summary

There were actually three things that bothered me a bit during the first half of the story, namely that Yuuka seemed really childish when she talked about how Ayaka should use her ability better, even though it seemed to be portrayed as the more reasonable position of the two, that Yuuka somehow just luckily survived even without Ayaka saving her, and that Yuuka claims she fell in love at first sight… but I mean, as pointed out by the book itself too Ayaka was ten years old at the time so that would have been super creepy.

The second half solved all of those pretty nicely though with the reveal that Yuuka actually has a bit of influence over which version of the day actually ends up being “chosen”, and that she actually must be pretty immature since she didn’t try to help Ayaka until the three-thousandth loop, and seemingly only was willing to go through with it after realising that she has no chance because Ayaka will probably never stop trying to save Michiru otherwise and literally just keep dying over and over for all of eternity until someone else intervenes or until she can’t even think anymore.

I also feel like I have to say this book probably has one of the most stubborn protagonists I’ve ever come across :laughing: Major spoiler: I mean, she died literally thousands of time so Michiru’s death wouldn’t be made permanent. Though, I guess she basically already realised it was impossible to actually save her after the first few hundred and mostly just kept doing it because she didn’t want Michiru’s death to become fact… but on the other hand, what is that if not stubbornness? But I guess it also seemed to be more compulsion than actual willpower that made her keep doing it the last few hundred times, especially since it seemed like she didn’t actually have the mental strength for much more than the actual “reset” after the 2000nth time or so. And hey, she was actually rewarded for it in the end too.

Returning to less spoilery stuff, I can safely say that the author of this book probably reads a lot because there’s references to both various pieces of more classic literature(most of which I didn’t get because I haven’t read them), as well as a few to other light novels and more modern works, some of which I’ve read.

Apparently there’s also a second book coming up, and while I’m a bit puzzled about what it’ll even be about I’ll definitely read it.

Anyway, now that I’ve finished that it’s time to actually catch up to the two book clubs I am in :slight_smile: (re:zero and 本好きの下剋上. Funnily enough I’m pretty sure the author of this light novel must have read both of those too, which I guess might not be that weird since they’re pretty popular)

11 Likes

with the moses reference and her talking about not brainwashing children, does she become a religious leader at some point?

1 Like

No idea, but only read up to volume 10. Considering how much she tries to hide everything she is doing, I guess not?

1 Like