[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

If it is, give us a quick summary? I’ve been reading the manga of that (in English). It takes about six volumes before it starts getting into the actual meat of the main story arc, whereas I watched first episode of the anime last night, and it was already starting the threads in the first episode. So what I want to know is, did the manga push it back, or did the anime bring it forward?

5 Likes

the anime basically skipped the the human parts(odd chapters are long and spidery, the even are about humans and short) in episode one they skipped to the last human chapter of the first book. on the spider side it’s just MMO style grind and epic fights(all of the first book). the anime already went through the first boss in the book. i’m guessing that the story starts in volume 2 in light novel

3 Likes

Yes! Based on very little, I feel like you might enjoy it (to some extent, at least). (Some of that depends on how saturated you are with stuff like this, but to me it was mostly new, so.)

Classroom of kids get reincarnated into fantasy world with gamelike mechanics. Main character is a spider monster and spends the book trying to survive, etc. Every 1-2 chapters there’s an interlude focused on one of the other reincarnated kids, Yun/Shun, with him meeting some other former classmates and growing up, but not much to do with the plot yet. My guess would be I am not hooked into the main story threads yet. (But no one tell me. :joy:)

3 Likes

Yeah, the manga focuses only on the spider. Starting in volume three, there’s an extra chapter at the back of each volume titled “bonus short comic”, which makes it sound unconnected to the main story, about another person being isekai’d.

Suddenly pondering if I want to try getting a hold of the light novels.

4 Likes

From what I know, there are romantic interactions, but I’m not sure if they’re the complexity you’re hoping for. Besides, its not even till like volume 12 really.

4 Likes

Well, anything more than just two characters spending 20 volumes almost but not quite getting together. Actually, even that can be fun if done well. (I have read a series for instance where two characters act basically as if they are a couple while being officially betrothed to other people and… okay that’s already more complicated than what I was talking about)

3 Likes

In that case you would probably like the developments. Whether or not you wanna read 12 volumes to get to it is a different story though.

5 Likes

Hm, well, it was a thing, I guess. I liked that the character is closer to my age range and has similar tastes in men.
On the other hand, the writing was quite bad (and not in the “bad but fun to read” style of はめふら, just regular bad). Especially, the world and characters are kinda bland. Plot did not really exist either, which is quite reminiscent of くま4; some stuff happened, but they get randomly solved in a very hurried fashion.

• problem appears
  • 5 pages later the problem is solved with no real description of the process
  • okay back to accidentally sleeping in the same bed as the main male protagonist.

A few times, there are some strange inconsistencies in the world building as well, which is interestingly lampshaded by the character monologuing “不思議だね。”. That does not feel okay :joy:
Also, the story of the first volume is self contained, so I don’t really feel the need to keep going with that series… Kinda sad, considering it’s rare to find a light novel with a main character I can relate to…

12 Likes

Random writing about a book I read:

(Short version: The writing is kind of lazy and the serious moments tend to fall a bit flat. The book was still fun to read. )

I read both current volumes of わたしが恋人になれるわけないじゃん、ムリムリ! (※ムリじゃなかった!?) and it was… well, the writing isn’t great, there are some very obvious typos, the dialogue is kind of weird, and the characters are pretty weak and mostly just stereotypes(which was a pretty huge contrast when the last yuri light novel series I read before I started this one was 安達としまむら and that has two of the most well-written characters of all the light novels I’ve read so far).

On the other hand the author also seems to be aware of some of those things(in fact the afterword straight up asks you to “enjoy the book without thinking too deeply about it” :laughing: ) and as a consequence the plot isn’t afraid to veer off into weird places sometimes, almost everyone speaks in a way that’s almost definitely not how a real person would speak, and it has some really absurd similes(I really like some of those though).

So while it’s not exactly top quality or anything it’s also fairly self-aware and that still made it pretty fun to read :slight_smile: It’s not exactly something I think I’ll remember as anything particularly noteworthy, but fun enough to read that I’ll probably at least read the next volume when it’s released(it helps that it’s going to focus on the character I liked the most from the first two volumes).

For some speculation on what might happen next, I think that it’s going to be revealed that 紫陽花(あじさい) has a more manipulative side to her because it felt like she did a couple of the “nice” things she did mostly just so れな子 actually would be able to spend time with her. There’s also how she also herself said she thinks she’s a bad person and how it feels like she probably intentionally made れな子 feel bad during the phone call in the middle of volume 2 so she’d make the promise to hang out with her afterwards. For something less based on the actual content of the story, I also think it’d be really really hard to write a whole volume focusing on 紫陽花(あじさい) if there isn’t anything more to her than what has been shown so far.

Random edit because I remembered something: these books also made me realize just how many slang words there are that are basically just a random noun + る :laughing:

6 Likes

3rd book of the year, カノジョに浮気されていた俺が、小悪魔な後輩に懐かれています、has been finished.

This book basically seems to be entirely created around the main love interest. Like the author basically said I wan’t a super kawaii dere dere character who pushes her affection onto MC and then just created characters and situations that would allow her dere dereness to shine through the most. And honestly, its pretty great lmao.

Like the main character is a typical grumbly main character, but he actually appreciates those around them and at least attempts to show it. Main girl is just absolutely adorable but she seems to have a little bit more to herself than what meets the eye which gives hope that she will have a bit of depth. MCs best friend is also a kawaii grill of course, but shes a pretty likeable character. I was expecting for it to kinda turn into a harm/love triangle with the friend, but interestingly enough for like the first time ever the author may have actually just given a male character a cute female friend. There has been mild hinting she may have feelings for him, but really nothing too big.

Overall its a pretty happy standard slice of life about a dudes college life and his relationship with main girl. I’m enjoying it enough to keep reading (its only 3 volumes in total anyways). If anyone is looking for a cute slice of life that isn’t about highschoolers, this is probably a decent pick imo. It wasn’t a difficult read by any means, but it’s not very friendly as an early read just because of a good amount of slang. Not nearly as bad as 俺好き, but thats just something worth noting for those who just started reading light novels.

11 Likes

And here’s what I am picturing:

12 Likes

I hope people aren’t tired of me mentioning 安達としまむら yet(I think this is the fourth or fifth time :laughing: ), but I feel like I should mention that the first volume currently is on sale on bookwalker for I think about another 24 hours from now. It’s a slow-burn slice of life yuri romance that focuses very heavily on the characters thoughts, feelings, etc so the pacing is kind of slow but it has some very well-written characters(in my opinion, at least).

However, I also feel like I should point out that a large amount of the author’s other books also are on sale or have an extra coin back thing since that means I’m at least doing something more than just mentioning the same thing over and over again the 13 ones I’ve read so far all have been pretty well-written and easy to read and he has written a huge variety of different stuff - I at least know about various different kinds of romance, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi(though most of the author’s books have some kind of small fantasy or sci-fi element even when it’s not the main focus), and a mix of light novels and non-light novels, though it’s not like I know what everything the author ever has written is about so there’s probably a couple of other kinds of books as well(for one example that happens to have the most ridiculous title, I have absolutely no idea about whatever バカが全裸でやってくる actually is supposed to be about aside from the fact that the protagonist seemingly is a novelist :laughing: )

(bookwalker page for the author here if anyone is curious: https://bookwalker.jp/author/1464/)

9 Likes

So many things on sale ATM on Bookwalker. Of course I have too much to read already, but feel like I’m missing out if I don’t buy something :smile::. Maybe just get one 新文芸 that have bigger discounts from 1300 yen to 300…

Really need to find some good resource to rank all the interesting stuff easily…

5 Likes

Lol I know how you feel I always spend too much money on sales. But my memory is pretty bad so I usually forget that there is a sale and once I want to buy something the sale is already over.

3 Likes

For anyone who has used both, is bookwalker any cheaper compared to amazon really?

Base book price seems to have bookwalker being like 100 yen cheaper, but I feel like amazon may have an edge when it comes to shipping. Usually I get like 5+ books at a time if that changes anything.

Bookwalker is a site where you purchase digital books, soo… shipping will be free, I guess

10 Likes

Oh shit, really? TIL

3 Likes

Second book done! :partying_face:
I guess reading 5 books won’t be as hard as I thought :grin:

コンビニ人間 thoughts (Spoilers!)

It started out peaceful, yes, Keiko was a misfit but she was fine with herself, and I was fine with that. When she started to get questioned, and in a way was forced to change, I started to feel sorry for her, and thought about what would be the best for her to do. I couldn’t find an answer, she couldn’t either, at least found a really bad one. It made me feel really sad when I was reading through her pathetic life with that useless parasite Shiraha. And the fact that she couldn’t realize her situation made it even sadder. Ending is good but still sad :slightly_frowning_face:, now she knows where she belongs but I’d like her to get more support from others.

I don’t know what to read next, I’ll probably choose from book club’s previous reads. I have no idea how difficult advanced book club’s books are, I didn’t have much struggle reading this one. Kindle’s dictionary also makes it easy to look up words. What should I expect from those books?

6 Likes

Many of the “advanced” books are similar to the intermediate books in terms of difficulty. They just read at 2-3 times the pace. The advanced book club indicates which books will be read faster versus which books are deemed harder and will be read slower.

6 Likes

Oh thanks. I started コンビニ人間 with the repeat club, they are now at week 3 of 13. So I guess I’ll join an advanced book club if I decide to read along with one.

1 Like