[2021] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Not a fan either :sweat_smile:. But, hey, book-off is cheap, so I can just buy one volume and decide if I like it or not…

2 Likes

cries in European shipping fees

13 Likes

Okay, I’m more than half done with キッチン. It’s a short read, a relaxing read and mostly an easy read. But there’s one thing that often slows down my reading flow: Integrating large amounts of quotes and indirect speech just using って. Once I understand the sentence, it’s easy and all makes perfect sense, but sometimes I have to read it a couple of times to understand where the quoted part begins.

For example: あたしはびっくりして、枯れたってなんだって、ここに置いときなよって言ったのね。でも妻は、水もやれないし、南から来た明るい植物に、死がしみ込む前に持って帰ってって泣いて頼むのよ。仕方ないから持って帰ったわよ。

I think this kind of style tries to make the way thoughts flow more naturally and it works, but it probably makes it harder to read for non-native speakers. (I think hearing it read aloud would make a big difference.) Not a complaint or anything, just something I noticed.

4 Likes

Feel free to drop in to our weekly Read Aloud session :joy_cat:
See the OP of each Kitchen thread to find out about the time and stuff. And: you don’t have to speak or read if you don’t feel like it, it’s totally ok if you just listen in.

3 Likes

I don’t mind reading aloud. Actually it sounds fun, so I might join in the future. Not this year, though, as I already have plans for the remaining Sundays in December.

3 Likes

I finished today the fifth volume of ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖. The pacing in this one was a bit strange, since I only cared about the things that happened between the mysteries. Oh? Yet another stolen book? Yeah yeah that’s great, can we now go back to whether or not the main characters will get together?
And then they did :tada: but cliffhanger for the next volume and all that jazz.
I really liked 大輔’s answer when 栞子 mentioned that she might just do like her mother and suddenly leave one day. “… can’t I just go with you, tho?” :rofl:

4 Likes

I know I haven’t even started 獣の奏者 yet, but used books!

10 Likes

Moribito series, nice. :heart_eyes:

I think I’m going to start 鹿の王 after I finished it. I think I have only 2 more books left not counting the one I’m reading now..

1 Like

Nice. Does the 守り人 series get better as it goes, or is it consistent or up and down throughout?

By the way @Naphthalene, I almost bought the first book of 新世界より as well (they had all three volumes), but I decided not to since it will still be impossibly hard for a while longer. And I already have plenty of unread books to read. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s definitely on the spicy end of the difficulty spectrum.
If it’s cheap, it can be an interesting side project to do a few pages once in a while, though. When I picked it up again after reading Kino’s Journey, it was a bit of a reality check. “Reading can, and generally will, be hard.”

3 Likes

So I’m set to finish 銭天堂2 this week, finally! However, that’s actually not the main reason for this update.

Backstory ranting

The vice-principal at one of my elementary schools saw me reading it, and was able to tell what it was just by glancing at the page I was on. (I’m convinced she’s actually a witch. Like 紅子.) She asked if I was enjoying it, to which I said yes, I thought they were really interesting and that I was actually reading the second one since I had enjoyed the first one so much. She gasped and ran to her desk when I told her I had bought the darn book, and when she came back she had two super plain-looking little cards with names on them. Turns out, the local library is just around the corner from my apartment (literally walking distance, which is a blessing in the inaka) and library cards in Japan cost the same as is in the states: F R E E ! They let you rent up to 10 books at a time for two full weeks. I’ll be going to make my card later this week :blush: but probably won’t use it until I’m back from the states (since I’ll be gone longer than the rental period, and I’ve already got 2 more books I want to read and have purchased).

TL;DR- I have a library walking distance from my apartment, so I have no excuse to not be reading at least two books a month from here on out because they cost me nothing.

10 Likes

I liked the 2nd one better than the first and it’s one of my favorites out of all of them but I’d say they’re all pretty consistent.

Eventually they start kind of alternating between Balsa’s POV and Chagum’s and I usually like the Balsa ones better. Not that Chagum isn’t an interesting character or his POV books are bad, but I just like Balsa’s story/related characters more. I feel like the theme of a prince exploring and learning about his world and coming to terms with the reality of maybe one day succeeding the throne is something that’s been done a lot in other books anyways. I think Balsa’s is more unique. But either way, both of their POVs have them exploring and encountering the different kingdoms that make up the books’ environment so they’re all still fascinating.

Also the blur spoiler isn’t that big of a spoiler tbh but it kind of spoils the first book and maybe a bit of the early part of the 2nd so I figured play it safe.

2 Likes

It was like half the price of buying it new, but it’s not like it was 100 yen or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

Too late now anyway. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I just watched the first episode. My impression:
High school girls being a bit too high, when suddenly, car racing. :crazy_face:
More seriously, it was really hard for me to understand what was going on at first. I feel I understood only like 2/3 of what was being said, and it’s not like a sport anime where the action just gives the context anyway.
Still, I like donuts the main character, and currently hate the guts of the blond dude whose name I already forgot.

3 Likes

This is probably the “talks like stereotypical guy” guy. If that’s the case I hate him by default.

Good learning opportunity? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yes. And his name his literally 太郎.

It is! And that was supposed to be the point. But then I notice that there are Japanese subtitles… It’s so much easier aaaaaah どうしおう

4 Likes

And they really help, because boi I would not have guessed those specialized words:
クール trimester (3 months period). Fun fact, Wikipedia tells me it comes from the french word “cours”. Which barely makes sense, but okay.
コンテ or 絵コンテ: storyboard
There’s also ラッシュ, but I guessed from context.

3 Likes

Not saying I would have put it together if listening, but I think most people that watch a ton of anime know this word. Usually when they announce new anime they talk about it being one or two cours to indicate how long it will run.

5 Likes

I guess it shows that I have no experience with the medium. :joy: Watching this is kinda meta.
I also bumped against ケレン味 so far.

1 Like