[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

So here’s what I’ve read this year so far.

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 and 涼宮ハルヒの溜息

Details

The first two volumes of the Suzumiya Haruhi series, a popular light novel/anime/manga about the eponymous Haruhi who thinks normal life is boring and is only interested in talking to aliens/time travelers etc. My first light novel, I wanted to see what they were like so I chose a popular series. The first volume had a book club at some point so I got to read the threads which was fun.

Like everyone in the book club, I was pretty shocked at the sexual harassment against Asahina, and in general didn’t find Haruhi’s antics very entertaining. But the premise of the first book is really good and I enjoyed it overall.

The second book, however, was boring as hell. What little plot there is is very slow to come and underwhelming. However, I’ve heard it gets better after that so I’ve still bought a couple more volumes.

容疑者xの献身

Details

Mystery novel by the famous mystery-writer Higashino Keigo. I bought it because he’s a favorite author of Utako from the 4989 American Life podcast which I listen to.

I read it with the advanced book club (which picked it as a total coincidence). It was very easy to read and action-packed, with a clever solution that I didn’t see coming. I enjoyed the book.

夜のピクニック

Details

A slice of life story about high school years and growing up and whatnot. It takes place during a 2-day 80 km walking event held by the high school every year. The point of view alternates between two 3rd year students, a female and a male, who everyone thinks are interested in each other but are actually secretly half siblings (this is revealed fairly early in the book so not a huge spoiler).

The book won a couple of prizes and is really popular on bookmeter. I quite enjoyed it, I think it’s very good at what it’s trying to do: weaving lots of little tales between characters, showing them gossiping and reflecting about life and walking and painful feet. However, it was a bit slow and low on action for me, but it got better towards the end.

夢をかなえるゾウ

Details

A mix between a novel and a self improvement book. A disillusioned salaryman unintentionally summons Ganesh who becomes his life coach. In each chapter Ganesh gives a new assignment/life lesson, which is actual advice that may have an impact on you. Also for some reason, Ganesh speaks in kansai-ben…

I fairly enjoyed the book although it’s not a very gripping read as chapters are somewhat independent, and there’s no big plot to keep you on the edge of your seat.

It would be an easy read if it wasn’t for the freaking kansai-ben, but you get used to it eventually and it’s a good way to learn.

Now, an important question: do visual novels count as novels? Asking for a friend…

8 Likes