[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

What bothers me most* about bookmeter, is that sometimes an entry doesn’t have a number of pages. For example, 不可解なぼくのすべてを:
example

I know it’s just a manga, but I want these pages anyway :stuck_out_tongue:
I wonder if there’s any way of adding this info? I couldn’t find an option.

Okay, there are other things there are bothering me, too. Like I can add older entries without a date, but they will be counted as if I read them after I created an account. So I had to cheat and spread the older entries evenly in the past using the purchase date as a guide. :smiley: Which looks absurd, because I had my first attempts with reading back in 2010, so my average page number/ever is messed up completely, but I prefer this solution to others.

Congratulations! :confetti_ball: :balloon:

10 Likes

I think when you finish a book you can set the date on which you finished it, so that’s how you can fix this end-of-month issue. (I think it has a grace period anyways; I once finished a book at 2 am Japanese time on the first of a month, and it automatically counted it towards the old month).

There is an option, but I cannot give you screenshots right now, so this is all from memory: I think if you go to the page where your read books are listed, at the top right there is a button that will give you list view. In list view, there is a button to the right of each book, and there you can set or change the number of pages. Or something :sweat_smile:
Also, you can do this already when marking a book as read (there is a button in that dialog that takes you to the same screen? Maybe.)

Anyways, if you cannot find it, I can provide the correct guidance over the weekend. Just shout again :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Found it, thank you~!

2 Likes

@Naphthalene Yes, that is funny to me, too. Especially if it took me a long time to read a book–sure, those 400 pages were all in one day! And congratulations on your milestone! I am very impressed, and if you do end up doubling your total again next year, I will be so impressed I am a little afraid. :grin:

@NicoleIsEnough Yes, that’s what I do! So it’s less of an issue for me and more of a surprise bump in motivation.

6 Likes

I would need to consistently read 2+ books per week :thinking: My current all consuming reading rampage is making me go at 800 pages a week, so it could be possible, but that would mean dedicating 100% of my free time to reading for a year. I don’t think I have the stamina for that.

10 Likes

I believe in you!

7 Likes

I’ve noticed this before but never bothered to look too deeply into it – but just now I went back to check and found that 夜市 (195 pages of prose) was listed as only 16! Unacceptable! I worked hard for those pages darn it!

11 Likes

I’ve found that a lot of books have multiple entries in book meter - the version of 夜市 I logged is listed with 216 pages.

3 Likes

I also see the thing with multiple entries, like @Belerith–my logged copy of 夜市 was 218 pages. I have started doing my search by the ISBN on the amazon.co.jp page for the physical copy, and so far I think that is working out.

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

I never considered this! Sometimes I search and only the ebooks show up, so it can be a hassle to find the entry for the physical copy. I’ll be doing this from now on, thanks!

7 Likes

I’m glad I complained about it! I thought I remembered 195 pages (it’s such a common number for some reason) but I grabbed my physical copy to check and found that it was indeed 216.

That’s really smart. I’ve noticed sometimes I’ll accidentally find the 試し読み version of a book or something and it’s a pain to figure out which one is correct. Will definitely be using this trick next time.

In unrelated news, I just finished up 鬼滅の刃 vol. 22 and I’m pretty sure this is the penultimate installment. The final chapter was 205 and we just covered 188-196. I’ve been waiting for two months and I read it in two hours…now I have to wait two more months…following a series live is suffering.

10 Likes

Ha, two months? I’ve been caught up on ご注文はうさぎですか since January and I’ll soon be caught up on こみっくがーるず, and they only get one volume a year!

6 Likes

Me: Such behavior would ruin my social life

:joy:

8 Likes

Just a quick note for all those Night Market fans out there: 雷の季節の終わりに (by the same author) is currently heavily discounted on Bookwalker (only with coins, though).

4 Likes

I was just looking for discounts on Amazon yesterday, but unfortunately that one’s not discounted.

2 Likes

Finally finished first volume of 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…!
(According to Wikipedia, it does have established abbreviation​ - はめふら - but I didn’t notice anyone on WK using it.)

It was really fun, and I do intend on reading further volumes, although I want to do some other things first.
I guess it wouldn’t be officially counted as iyashikei, but for me it worked as one. ^^
I mean it both plot-wise and language-wise, because its low difficulty really did wonders for my reading stamina training and for my confidence with Japanese. I realize it’s not great writing, but I think it’s a great ~first book for beginners. From that point of view, it’s repetitiveness is actually an asset.

10 Likes

I checked Wikipedia expressly to find such abbreviation when I first commented about it here and it was not there. According to the edit history, the abbreviation was added 6 days later. :frowning_face: Now I got used to call it 乙女ゲーム[…]

I’m glad you enjoyed it, though!

7 Likes

Hamefura is what I have heard in relation to the anime as well

7 Likes

It’s also the period when the anime started airing. I guess it’s all linked :thinking:

4 Likes

Sounds like you got caught in a conspiracy :thinking:

6 Likes