[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

I finished 夏の庭 The Friends. It took me some time, much longer than justified for a 200-pages book, but at least I now have established a reading habit again.

I liked the book, although it took a few chapters until it really grew on me – specifically when the boys started to actually interact with the old man. It’s very much a Stand by Me kind of story – a group of friends from slightly dysfunctional families doing some mundane adventuring – with very believable, down-to-earth characters without the kind of idealization you often find in stories. It has some touching moments and the ending was quite beautiful. What I found most surprising is when the past of the old man was revealed. The part when he revealed he had killed a pregnant woman in the war in a panic – because he mentioned a jungle it was presumably on the Philipines or Papua New Guinea – and could never return to his wife after the war out of guilt was not something I’d expect to read in a children’s book.

Anyway, really good read.

I’ve still got 獣の奏者4 to finish which I haven’t touched since November, but I’m really itching to read one of those non-fiction books about Studio Ghibli – probably Hitomi Tateno’s エンピツ戦記. I’ve read 3 so far, but I’ve got 27 more, so if I read 3 every year, I’ll me done in 9 years. :laughing:

7 Likes

This was a book?! I had no idea :see_no_evil: just finished (by which I mean binged) the anime this past weekend. Is the book good (so far)?

3 Likes

I watched the anime last year and really liked it as a (former :sweat:) long distance runner. I’m only about 2 chapters into the book so far (middle of the scene where ハイジ announces his plan to run the 箱根駅伝) but I’m enjoying it so far. I have a feeling it’s going to get really good once the story gets going.

4 Likes

Awesome! I also loved the anime (apart from finding the whole scenario amazingly unrealistic :sweat_smile:), so hope you share your thoughts when you’ve finished the book :blush:

2 Likes

I’ll definitely share my thoughts once I finish it. I can’t promise anything about when that will be but my current goal is to finish it by May. Knowing my reading habits though, that may only be slightly more realistic than the scenario.

I meant to post this as a reply but I guess I clicked the wrong button…

5 Likes

Im looking to start a DanMachi book club, if you are interested please check it out and vote!

There’s definitely some bad guys and stuff happening. According to my friend, volume 4 is when it gets intense. I just started volume 4. ._.

But it is adorable!

1 Like

It has a pretty good score on AniList too. I’ll definitely add it to my list so I don’t forget about it!

1 Like

You might ask yourself, how many tabs does it take to read a single book?

And, well. This many:

I also rearranged my names list! It was getting unwieldy.

I dropped the ball for a few days because I wanted to focus on schoolwork, but I’m back at it now! I read a bit more of Kiki with tutor#1, and I think my reading flow and understanding were higher than usual. (Speaking skill also jumped up, seems like.)

3 Likes

I’ve decided to join with a goal of 12 books for the year to help me get through my stash I brought back from my last trip to Japan/BookOff. I’m currently reading a childrens book 打ち上げ花火、下から見るか?横から見るか?, with full furigana. It has simple grammar and is the easiest book I’ve read so far but I’m finding it perfect for tadoku style reading. Usually I’m exhausted by the amount of unknown words and grammar but with this book I’m picking up new words through context.

9 Likes

Wow, I just saw 〆切 for しめきり. I wonder how often it’s written like that…

7 Likes

The book I posted a screenshot from earlier has also had it written that way a few times, at least (though, that book also uses a fairly large amount of somewhat uncommon kanji and words without furigana for them, so I don’t know if it’s the best thing to go by for what’s common)

(Your thread asking about if some N1 kanji are useful or not has popped up at least a few times when I (for fun) tried searching the forums for some kanji I hadn’t seen before that appeared in said book :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Hey!! We’re reading the same book then😊 I found thisnone quite difficult and am trying to finish キノの旅 before trying again haha.

Have you started yet?

2 Likes

Nice! I’m about halfway through chapter 3 now, and hoping to get to chapter 4 this weekend.

It’s definitely harder than キノの旅.

It’s the standard way people write it on memos at work.

1 Like

That’s not surprising at all, but this was in a speech bubble. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, it’s not forbidden. I don’t really know why one would do that though :thinking:

1 Like

cd2483bcfee1589ab67b77acfd6bc50f
Citizen. Do you have a licence to use that particular abbreviation?

9 Likes

I haven’t been sticking to my (prose-reading, particularly ぽっぺん先生-reading) goals at all lately, being instead fully sucked into manga (the last few days mostly 7SEEDS). But … but I have to know what happens … but goals…! My three book club reads have also been neglected due to this absorption. Therefore tomorrow I’m going to read 30 minutes of a novel (or three) before manga! I will say that I have done so in response to this statement!!

7 Likes

I have read 30 minutes of 氷菓! Statement of purpose fulfilled.

7 Likes