[2024] 多読/extensive reading challenge

Not that I know of. 本好き happens to have separate AniList entries for each arc, so it was easy to figure out. And I know Re:Zero has several arcs from watching the first season of the anime, but I couldn’t tell you where the arcs are in the books.

2 Likes

I tried the same thing for a while. It works to some extent, but the problem is that some words are just so infrequent that reading alone will never give you enough repetitions. (In a sense, you could also say that it means you don’t need to know those word… but they still have an impact)

If I’m counting correctly (it’s getting fuzzy), that would be 13 years of actively studying. Although for the past year and a half, my “studying” has been reading whatever I feel like, so I don’t know if I should count it… If I don’t, then ~11 years to get to that point.

5 Likes

Still, that sounds pretty good. In my current book I still have on average maybe 2-3 new words per page (but some of them are clear from context and kanji). Granted, first volumes are the worst in this.

2 Likes

In January 2021 it will have been 5 years since I started studying Japanese. That’s really weird to think about. :joy:

Goes to check highlighted kindle words

Wow, I only highlighted one word in the last 6 kindle pages (= about 3 real pages) for 本好き. Granted, it’s the very end of the book, so I’m familiar with more of the words being used. But that’s also just what I highlighted; in general I look up more than I end up highlighting. I just checked Kitsun, where I’ve added 204 words from 本好き (though I’m a few chapters behind in adding words). Since I don’t add every word I look up, I’d guess I look up an average of 3-5 words per page.

3 Likes

That’s pretty nice. I calculated my number from my 青春ブタ野郎 freq>=1 floflo Anki deck, which from the current rate of suspending familiar cards adds about 700-800 “new” words. New in the sense that I found them worth keeping and not did not suspend them when they appeared in Anki. Probably some redundancy in there.

The volume is about 330 pages, so maybe that 2-3 is accurate. I’d wager it’s heavily weighted to the start of the book or some discussions about some specific topics.

3 Likes

First volume of Danmachi for free on Bookwalker. Mega sale on some of the other volumes too. 2021/1/7 23:59まで :eyes:

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Damn, 99 yen, cheapest I’ve seen any LN.

EDIT: How many should I get “for the future”? :eyes:

6 Likes

Has anyone read 「終末なにしてますか? 忙しいですか? 救ってもらっていいですか?」? It’s currently around half price as well (Bookwalker and Amazon at least), but only for the next two days. I kind of want to read it, but realistically I wouldn’t get to it for a while anyway, so I may not bother getting it.

1 Like

@seanblue 11,000 pages, wow! I could maybe do that in English (though probably not that quickly) as long as I didn’t think about it beforehand. It’s looking forward and seeing all those pages that really daunts me, lol.

That’s a good idea about the arcs! I also don’t want to spoil myself, but for things we haven’t already discussed I could try asking here and seeing if someone knows. Or seeing if someone who didn’t care about spoilers was willing to give me the safe version.

I figured the suffering was difficulty, and I’m glad to hear I shouldn’t put too much stock in the visuals, because those were a pass. But you’re right: I don’t need another series, @seanblue!!

@Naphthalene 100 books, ooooh. If you go for it, I look forward to seeing this battle. (Doesn’t look at anything about 本好き, not one single thing!!)

@Aislin Your plans sound great! I’m impressed by how much you’ve got in mind to do.

@ nobody

This week I only have four chapters of manga to read for book clubs! How did this happen! I will take it!

I will take it and use it as motivation to read more of other things! I made a table in my study log and this week I’m going to try to finish one volume of every manga I’m reading (not for book clubs). This would be twelve volumes. (I’m aiming for two for 約束のネバーランド since that is the end of it.) However, some of them I’m partway into, so it is probably doable. I’m also going to try to finish 魔女の宅急便, of course, and make a big push into 狐火の家, which I am really enjoying a lot already, and maybe even read some こころ?

Also… as part of this challenge, I’ve decided to leave my further アリア reading up to my own actions. If I don’t finish a volume this week, I’ll pause, and if I finish one, I’ll keep going. I’m going to make the same deal with myself for Bamboo Blade and とんがり帽子のアトリエ, because I’ve been meandering through the first volume of each for a while now. Since pausing on something means I could come back later when I’m more in the mood for it, I will see how I feel about these three this week and use this challenge to make the decision for me. (Since I’m such a waffler. Thus my frequent polls.)

9 Likes

Last night I hit my 69th volume of manga for the year (nice)

13 Likes

69 is a remarkable number. It is the sum of the sums of the divisors of the first 9 positive integers:
1 + (1 + 2) + (1 + 3) + (1 + 2 + 4) + (1 + 5) + (1 + 2 + 3 + 6) + (1 + 7) + (1 + 2 + 4 + 8) + (1 + 3 + 9) = 69

16 Likes

Started watching the new season of DanMachi and realised it’s going to take a while until the release all the episodes :unamused: And the arc introducing intelligent mosters seems interesting. Waiting sucks!

Anyway, went on Bookwalker… Danmachi is on sale up to volume 10. Got volume 9 (currently airing anime season starts here) and started reading already :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, with my reading speed it’s totally conceivable that all episodes will come out earlier than I even finish the 9th volume… But I want to try reading it fast (by skipping some vocab that I don’t know but can guess).

Also reading Made in Abyss. And somehow it seems pretty hard! The mangaka definitely doesn’t shy away from using complex kanji (and not even putting furigana on those). Plus, a lot of jargon. I think if I hadn’t seen the anime I would just give up.

1 Like

Spoilers… :pensive:

Thinking of getting at least the ultra cheap first five. Weirdly the sale seems to have the end date of 2021/7/1!

Sorry… I thought it’s not since it’s openly written in the book description.

1 Like

Well, for people who are yet to start the series, descriptions in later volumes are most definitely going to contain spoilers. :slight_smile: Unless you mean it’s in the first volumes description.

5 Likes

That’s fair I guess. Blurred it out :wink:

I am not too opposed to spoilers unless it’s blatantly telling all the major plot events. For the new titles I actually prefer to investigate a bit about them to understand if I may be interested in the plot/themes.

Besides some things are so good they are worth re-experiencing. So, you have to in spoiled. And depending on the content the experience may not be any worse.

Mystery/Detective/PlotTwist stories are probably the only exception. Although if crafted well, you can discover extra clues that you missed the first time.

すべてがFになる/The Perfect Insider is one example of a novel where once you know the gimmick you lose all interest in my opinion. Intersecting that once you know the mystery the title starts to make sense :laughing:

I don’t even plan to read this series, and my first reaction to your post was “spoilers!”. (Not even joking.)

4 Likes

I don’t see how it’s a spoiler, honeslty. This is literally the premise of the book, written on the backcover. It’s also a totally new idea for the series, so it can’t make your experience with prior volumes worse.

I would actually prefer not to blur stuff like this, so that people may get interested and check out the book.

What’s the obsession with spoilers? Whose experience are these kind of facts spoiling? It’s like saying that there are elves in Lord of the Rings. OK, you know there are elves now. But you know nothing about how they are presented and what kind of role the play in the story.

1 Like

That’s like saying giving the premise of the 7th Harry Potter book isn’t a spoiler for the series. Giving information about a later book sometimes tells you what has already happened, and other times tells you what hasn’t happened yet, which can still matter. The obsession with spoilers is that knowing too much about what does and doesn’t happen in a story can ruin the experience. What gets some people excited by knowing what will come later can actually ruin the “surprise” and the fun of speculation for others.

Edit to add: This specific instance wasn’t a big deal per se. But in general I think it’s better to be more cautious and assume someone reading your post is more sensitive to spoilers than you are.

9 Likes

My personal preference is similar to the d-hermit’s opinion, because I also like to know if I may be interested in the themes.
But I also realize that some people are more sensitive and like to go into things completely blind. :woman_shrugging:
I think the compromise here is noting what kind of spoiler it is, for example like Kumirei has done here:

5 Likes