Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

The Way of the Househusband

Summary

Tatsu, an infamous and feared yakuza boss nicknamed “the Immortal Dragon”, retires from crime to become a househusband so that he can support Miku, his kyariaūman wife. The episodic series depicts a variety of comedic scenarios, typically wherein Tatsu’s banal domestic work as a househusband is juxtaposed against his intimidating personality and appearance, and his frequent run-ins with former yakuza associates and rivals. (Wikipedia)

Availability

Physical: CDJapan Amazon JP
Digital: Bookwalker Kindle

Personal Opinion

To be honest, I wasn’t sure if this is better for the ABBC or BBC based on the first chapter. I went with the BBC since there’s no furigana and I’m kind of expecting slang in a Yakuza related manga. The premise seems pretty funny, and judging by the previews the language should be at a decent level. There’s also an anime and a live action series based on this manga, for those who want related listening practice.

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Not too text heavy
  • Award-winning series
  • The ebook version has good quality, no tiny blurry characters as far as I could see

Cons

• Yakuza themes - I feel like there might be a few characters speaking in heavy slang
  • No furigana
  • Ongoing series

Pictures

First Three Pages (with text) of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

6 Likes