Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

I’ll start of =)
I know it will be a long time till next voting, but the suggestions should start come in long before if possible, so that when it is time for voting we have them ready =)

Title: 絶叫学級 (Scary Lessons)

Quick Summary: The girl Yomi—a creature without legs—leads through a world of horror, which slumbers in the midst of everyday life and only lies in wait to pounce on the unsuspecting. Anyone who is foolish enough to engage in it terrible things will happening!

Amazon jp: Link

My opinion: I picked it up due to it being on several lists for beginners and mentioned here on the forum as well when asking about easy material. I have only tired to read the first few pages, but was amazed how much I could understand! It seems to be a very entertaining book, and is likened to the R.L.Stine’s Goose Bumps Books, both in theme and is aimed at younger readers (tween/teens, not young children)

Pros: Instead of replacing harder kanji with kana, which makes it harder to look up and identify words, they use furigana. So we don’t get the same problem as with Kiki, where the lacking kanji made it harder to read.
It is also a long series, so if we find them decent we can do several (to my understanding you can read them in any order, like the Goose Bumps Books, so late arrivals can still join in on any book) Either as part of the group or keep reading on our own.
It has pictures. I like the visual aid every now and then =)
As far as I know there is only one version, no more confusion due to multiple versions

Cons: It seems everything has furigana, so it won’t help you practice “how to read kanji”.
Not sure if there is an English version of this or not.

First few pages:

Random Pages:

Difficulty Poll
How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help

0 voters

@conan @Nath @fl0rm please revote =)
(will remove tag once vote added =^_^= )

11 Likes