Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Thanks for the ping! I was unexpectedly busy over the past two weeks (in a good way) so I had forgotten to post the home thread and schedule discussion :roll_eyes:

But here it is:

I’ve started a discussion regarding the schedule - happy to hear all of your opinions!

9 Likes
Moved to the Beginner Book Club

Hello! Figured I would finally propose another one of the books I own and have been wanting to read!
(Please tell me if you think this would be better suited for another group. I was having a hard time deciding what level this book is (Intermediate or beginner wise.)

5分後に笑えるどんでん返し

Summary

Japanese

(From BookWalker) 5分で脱力、5分で笑える。5分で読める“5分シリーズ”からお届けする、クスッとできるどんでん返し。 小説投稿サイト「エブリスタ」に投稿された20000作超の短編から厳選した、『5分後に笑えるどんでん返し』。 意外すぎるオチに驚く珠玉の掌編15本。

English

(Quick google translate and a little editing)
Weakness in 5 minutes and laughter in 5 minutes. An unexpected twist from the “5-minute series” that can be read in 5 minutes. Carefully selected from over 20,000 short stories posted on the novel posting site "Everystar”. Fifteen short stories that are have a surprising ending.

Availability

Amazon Japan (tankobon and ebook)
BookWalker (ebook)

Personal Opinion

I’ve recently seen these kinds of short story books a lot in Japan. They are very popular with children. Definitely think it would be fun and interesting reading practice. The short stories also makes it easier to consume.
This book’s stories also seem to be selected from a novel publishing site, which is interesting.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Recently these 5分後 type of books have been very popular in Japan.
  • Many short stories from different authors, so possibly a little variety for everyone and easy to digest.
  • Not very long (about 200 something pages) (may be a con to some)
  • If people enjoy this read, they can continue other 5分後 books.

Cons

• Not all the kanji have furigana (can be a pro for some)
  • Some may prefer one continuous story instead of many short ones

Pictures

Pictures

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

[poll type=regular public=true]
  • No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know
[/ [poll ]
3 Likes

If anybody is interested in this nomination - Its free on Bookwalker for the next few days!

8 Likes

Just a quick heads up that we will start our next pick on Saturday, so if you want to participate, please proceed to the entrance gate and get ready to buy your ticket! :blush:

14 Likes

We’re currently deciding on the final schedule for our current pick, and if we decide to stick with the schedule that’s currently in place, then we will have our next poll soon! We already have a good number of nominations, but there are still a few free slots for new ones. So if you have a book that would fit the Intermediate Book Club length requirement (i.e. below 300 pages, ideally below 250 pages) and difficulty, then please feel free to nominate it (using the template in the OP)!

4 Likes

Spy x Family

Summary

Japanese

名門校潜入のために「家族」を作れと命じられた凄腕スパイの〈黄昏〉。だが、彼が出会った“娘”は心を読む超能力者! “妻”は暗殺者で!? 互いに正体を隠した仮初め家族が、受験と世界の危機に立ち向かう痛快ホームコメディ!!

English

In order to maintain the state of peace between the rival nations of Westalis and Ostania, a Westalis agent codenamed “Twilight” is tasked with spying on Donovan Desmond, the leader of an extremist political party within Ostania. However, due to Desmond being notoriously reclusive, the only way Twilight can get close to him is to enroll a child in the same private school as Desmond’s son and pose as their father. To accomplish this, he creates the alias of Lloyd Forger, adopts a young orphan girl named Anya, and marries a woman named Yor Briar, to create the image of a happy family. However, Yor is in fact a professional assassin, with neither her nor Lloyd being aware of each other’s true identities. Both of them are also unaware that Anya can read minds, and knows their true professions. Despite these unknown factors, Lloyd must learn to play the role of the perfect father and husband in order to carry out his mission. (wikipedia)

Availability

Physical: Amazon | CD Japan
Digital: Kindle | Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

This has been blowing up all over the internet because of the anime that is currently airing. It is honestly super hillarious, esepcially the daughter Anya has some of the best reaction faces in any manga I have read.

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Popular so hopefully a lot of participants
  • Has an anime so one could read/watch both (to get that sweet listening practice)
  • Furigana
  • Funny & interesting story

Cons

• Pretty hard according to learn natively it is level 30 so just below Death note
  • Also pretty dense

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Bookwalker preview: https://viewer.bookwalker.jp/03/19/viewer.html?cid=f21b74ef-1857-48d4-90b3-0b9600b92d5d

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

I originally posted this in the beginner book club, but after some discussion I moved it up to here!

10 Likes

This makes me think maybe I should move 5分後に笑えるどんでん返し down to the beginner book club based on the responses here (5 votes for minimal effort, 1 vote for no effort).

Can I just delete or edit the post? (and edit the main post too?)
Or should I leave it here for one run of voting?
I’m still kinda new to the book clubs (and haven’t participated in the intermediate one yet), so not sure how everything works and definitely not sure on how to properly rank the difficulty levels of some of these books :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah maybe that would be a good idea actually?

You could just delete the post or put a big comment at the top of the text, but given that it has not been in any polls yet, I’d probably lean towards just deleting it.

That would be kind of you! (Although if you don’t feel comfortable doing it then I will take care of it when I prep for the poll.)

Whatever you feel like makes sense, really :blush:

Ah no worries, we’re all here to learn and help each other on many levels :upside_down_face: And it’s really hard to rate books by difficulty, especially those you haven’t read yet :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for such a thorough response! :blush:
Moved it to the beginner club and edited the main post here!

2 Likes

The next Poll is upon us!

Have a look at the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for details on each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on book club members voting, thus subjective) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “so much effort my head might explode”. The difficulty is annotated in the poll in square brackets after the book’s name, together with the book’s level on Natively (you can find the links to Natively for all books in the first post if you want to have a look at the gradings in detail).

Do not rely solely on difficulty or Natively level when making a choice. Please have a look at nomination posts if you haven’t already.

Expected reading pace: We aim to read books at ~15 pages per week (that number might vary a bit throughout, depending on the book’s breaks and chapters). For manga, depending on difficulty and chapter length, we will probably read one to several chapters per week. The pick’s exact reading schedule will be negotiated before the book club kicks off.

Short book rule: If the first place ist taken by a pick that will take us 6 weeks or less to read, we will read the one in second place directly after it, without running a poll in between. I haven’t checked in detail, but I’d assume that this basically applies in case one of the manga wins the poll.

Start of Book Club: We will start the next book on June 18th (after a one-week break).

Poll duration: I will close the poll within a week (and most likely before that), whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose up to 5 options.

• きらきらひかる [2.67 / L30??]
  • 日本人の知らない日本語 (Manga) [2.4 / L29]
  • 山と食欲と私 (Manga) [2.5 / L25]
  • くま クマ 熊 ベアー [2.36 / L24]
  • 天気の子 [2.64 / L31]
  • ガイコツ書店員本田さん (Manga) [2.45 / L24??]
  • リング [2.67 / L34]
  • City (Manga) [2.56 / L24??]
  • TUGUMI [2.5 / L30]
  • Just Because! [2.17 / L30??]
  • 笑顔のたえない職場です。 (Manga) [2.83 / L29??]
  • 穴 [2 / L38]
  • 人質の朗読会 [2.43 / L30??]
  • 死にたいけどトッポッキは食べたい [2.75 / L30??]
  • Spy x Family [2.75 / L30]

0 voters

EDIT: I forgot to annotate that Spy x Family is a manga, sorry! Also, I wanted to point out that there is currently a coin cashback sale going on at BookWalker until 2022-05-06T01:00:00Z. I think by then we should already be able to forecast which entry is likely to be among the winners, for those who want to buy before the sale ends.

6 Likes

Kinda think Spy x Family has been generating so much buzz lately that it’s practically a shoo-in. :stuck_out_tongue:

But, ah… vote for mine! 山と食欲と私 :grinning:

6 Likes

I’m basically expecting that too :wink: But I expect it to be a short read, so the second place will be picked as well. :grin:

4 Likes

Ooh the Natively levels in the poll are a nice touch.

6 Likes

sorry, i’m one of those fans pushing for Spy x Family cause I also happen to be reading it now thanks to anime/ it’s on sale :laughing:

i hope it’s not presumptuous to have started a vocab sheet for it…

6 Likes

Thanks! I found it interesting to see that almost all of the books are in the L25-L30 range, so that seems to confirm the Natively levels and our picks at the same time :grin:
But of course you can’t fully rely on the levels because for some books there are really few gradings (e.g. for 穴 it looks as if the Natively level is a bit too high? Especially compared to our own poll. But maybe it just gets harder later on. Difficult to tell unless we read it I guess…)

3 Likes

It’s strange because it seems only one person has read 穴 on Natively, and they write in their review that it’s an “easy read language-wise.” Also I thought there would be question marks after the level number if there aren’t enough people grading it? There are none in this case. I’m very new to Natively, so I don’t know, maybe the level is based on other criteria too besides reader gradings?

3 Likes

Yeah I noticed that as well. But then again that person has read crazy hard stuff, so their mileage may be different :sweat_smile:

I think that the question marks only appear if there have not been enough gradings, but this book has gotten 10 gradings, so that seems to make the level be somewhat reliable. Natively doesn’t seem to take into account that all those 10 gradings are from the same person…
But to make sure about this, let’s ask @sweetbeems :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes the ‘temporary’ rating system (‘??’) is pretty dumb in this regard… it doesn’t require multiple people just a minimum number of grades & a variety of grades to make sure the level has settled (‘harder’ / ‘easier’ / ‘similar’). The assumption here is that people won’t have wildly different takes on a book difficulty and that if someone is able to grade enough to get it out of the temporary status, they probably have a good amount of books around that level.

There are, of course, books where there is somewhat large disagreement on difficulty, but that’s pretty rare… usually people agree within 3-4 levels, which is all the temporary system is shooting for. And adding the requirement for multiple people not only complicates the system which makes it harder to handle, but it also puts way more books into ‘temporary’… I think unnecessarily. Eventually, I hope to make it more sophisticated, but lots to do… :slight_smile:

Yes he has. The easiest stuff that he’s read that’s fully graded is lvl 34 :sweat_smile:. This is why showcasing a book’s supposed level, a user’s gradings and a user’s personal library is very valuable context when reading a review! It is ‘easy’ for him, certainly wouldn’t be for me haha.

12 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, @sweetbeems ! Much appreciated!

And now I’m more curious than ever to read 穴. I’m kind of disappointed that no book I’ve read so far is higher than L33 :grin:

4 Likes

Well, never hurts to try! If you’re really interested in something, it often trumps a little more difficulty :upside_down_face:

And who knows, maybe _Minos is wrong!

4 Likes