Summary

Japanese

「おいしい! 」 「覗きたい! 」 看板猫が迎えてくれるお店をご紹介。
イラストレーターの一志敦子さんが何度も通い、自信を持ってオススメする看板猫のいるお店、猫とお客さんとのふれあい、料理のおいしさの秘密、職人さんの手仕事など、
丁寧に取材したからこそ描ける緻密で優しいタッチのイラストは必見。

【猫がいるだけで、そこは幸せな空間になるのです】
イラストレーターの一志敦子さんが訪ねる、猫が迎えてくれるお店25軒+α

English

It’s… basically just an illustrated mini guidebook of shops in Tokyo which have cats.

Availability

Personal Opinion

Can’t go wrong with cats. :slightly_smiling_face:

Honestly, I spotted this on the Japanese new releases shelf in my local Kinokuniya, and my eye was drawm by the smug-looking cat on the cover, and when I had a flip through, it looked like quite a bit of fun. It’s not a chunky book - only 143 pages including fore- and afterwords - and it’s not massively wordy - lots o’ hand-drawn illustrations, but I thought it might make for a nice palate cleanser between heavier books.

It’s neatly divided into roughly six-page sections, with the approximate pattern being two pages of introductory text, a double-page-spread with a floor plan of the shop being discussed, and two pages of drawings of the cats getting up to antics.

(In all honesty, I feel it might fall into the gap between the Beginner and Intermediate groups a little bit, but hey, not every book has to be an epic novel…)

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Cats
  • Easily divides into chunks
  • After the first paragraph in each section, text appears hand-written (there’s enough variation that I don’t think it’s a handwriting-style font) which gives us practice at reading handwritten words.
  • Cats, on every single page
  • Light and refreshing
  • It’s a guidebook about actual shops in real-life Tokyo, so it might help people find places they’d like to visit that they otherwise may not have encountered.
  • Cats

Cons

• Handwriting poses its own challenge
  • Perhaps may not tax peoples’ Japanese skills too hard. @seanblue may even turn up his nose at it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

8 Likes