Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Kino no Tabi - キノの旅

Summary

In Kino’s Journey , the protagonist, Kino, accompanied by a talking motorcycle named Hermes, travels through a mystical world of many different countries and forests, each unique in its customs and people. They only spend three days and two nights in every town, without exception, on the principle that three days is enough time to learn almost everything important about a place, while leaving time to explore new lands.

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/キノの旅-Beautiful-World-電撃文庫-時雨沢-ebook/dp/B00O4QK3IK/
Ebook: 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

I didn’t read it yet but I really want to. Bought it while in Japan as I heard great things about it and about the difficulty. Extra: have @MissMisc’s opinion:

That being said, reading the sample I posted below, I think people around N2 should be fine on their own, so it would be challenging at N4-N3, but that’s what makes it a good learning target for the club, I think.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Word list available on floflo (and soon Kitsun), and the word count is quite low (i.e. not too much vocab to look up)
  • Each chapter seems to be self-contained, so it’s easier for people to skip ahead to catch up with the group.
  • Good length for the intermediate club (slightly over 200 pages of text)

Cons

• Self-contained chapters mean that character progression may be slow or non-existent.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

%E7%AF%84%E5%9B%B2%E3%82%92%E9%81%B8%E6%8A%9E_145

Additional Pages

About two pages per screenshot

%E7%AF%84%E5%9B%B2%E3%82%92%E9%81%B8%E6%8A%9E_143

%E7%AF%84%E5%9B%B2%E3%82%92%E9%81%B8%E6%8A%9E_144

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)
0 voters

100% copy paste from @Naphthalene’s post with some adjustments :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes