Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

君の膵臓を食べたい

Summary

ある日、高校生の僕は病院で一冊の文庫本を拾う。タイトルは「共病文庫」。それはクラスメイトである山内桜良が綴った、秘密の日記帳だった。そこには、彼女の余命が膵臓の病気により、もういくばくもないと書かれていて―。読後、きっとこのタイトルに涙する。「名前のない僕」と「日常のない彼女」が織りなす、大ベストセラー青春小説!

A high school boy finds the diary of his classmate―only to discover that she’s dying. Yamauchi Sakura has been silently suffering from a pancreatic disease, and now exactly one person outside her family knows. He swears to her that he won’t tell anyone what he learned, and the shared secret brings them closer together in this deeply moving, first-person story that traces their developing relationship in Sakura’s final months of life.

Availability

Amazon has both physical and e-book versions:

Personal Opinion

I haven’t read the book before, so I can’t attest to how good it is personally, but I recently did a book review lesson at a Japanese high school, and many of the students highly recommended this book. It’s pretty popular right now, and even has a movie adaptation.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• It’s hip with the kids.

• It’s set in a real world setting, so there should be more everyday vocabulary in it.

• I really want to read it. :wink:

Cons

• I don’t know how deep they get on the medical terminology, so it’s possible there will be some dense pages to get through (Didn’t see anything too difficult on a quick skim through).

Pictures

(Sorry for low quality)

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes