10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 4 (お月よ) & 5 (パンのかけらと小さなあくま)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

Welcome to the thread for the short poem named お月よ and the fifth story called パンのかけらと小さなあくま from the book 10分で読める物語 二年生!

Start Date: 13.10.2019

Previous thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 3 (さるじぞう)

Next thread:

Reading schedule:

• 13.10.2019: page 50-52
  • 14.10.2019: page 53
  • 15.10.2019: page 54
  • 16.10.2019: page 55
  • 17.10.2019: page 57
  • 18.10.2019: page 58
  • 19.10.2019: page 59
  • 20.10.2019: page 60
  • 21.10.2019: page 61
  • 22.10.2019: page 62
  • 23.10.2019: page 64
  • 24.10.2019: page 65
  • 25.10.2019: page 66
  • 26.10.2019: page 67
  • 27.10.2019: page 68
  • 28.10.2019: page 70
  • 29.10.2019: page 71
  • 30.10.2019: page 72

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events on the current page and any content in future pages.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along

• I’m skipping this book

• I’m planning to catch up later

• I will join a future story

0 voters

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I am back safely in the USA. Hopefully everyone in the path of the typhoon is safe and sound.
I am posting the whole poem today since I will not have a computer tomorrow. Also, there is some information about the author at the bottom.

Page 50

お月夜 Moonlit night

トソ、トソ、トソ、あけてください。どなたです。わたしゃ木の葉よ。トソ、コトリ。

Tap, Tap, Tap, please open the door. Who (is it). I am the leaves. Tap, little bird.

Summary

トソ onomotopeia (knocking sound)

あけて ください 開ける to open (a door, etc.)

どなたです 何方 . who?​ Usually written using kana alone,

わたしゃ I am (honorific style)

木の葉 Noun 1. foliage; leaves of trees​

コトリ ことり 小鳥 Noun 1. small bird; little bird​

Page 51

トソ、トソ、トソ,あけてください。 どなたです。 tap, tap, tap, please open the door. who (is it). I am the wind. Tap, little bird

Page 52.

トソ、トソ、トソ、あけてください。どなたです。

月のかげです。It is the moon’s silhouette

トソ、コトリ。

My interpretation:

I’m imagining an autumn night that’s crisp with a clear sky. A little bird is tucked into a nest and is visited by the sounds of the leaves and the wind against the tree trunk. When it opens it’s nest, it sees a big harvest moon. The end.

Hakushū Kitahara (北原 白秋 Kitahara Hakushū, 25 January 1885 – 2 November 1942) is the pen-name of Kitahara Ryūkichi (北原 隆吉 Kitahara Ryūkichi), a Japanese tanka poet active during the Taishō and Shōwa periods of Japan. He is regarded as one of the most popular and important poets in modern Japanese literature.

2 Likes

I’m still around, and everyday I don’t read it feels like a stab, but I’ll reach level 60 in less than a month (I hope!) and I go one by one and read all of it

I ended up with the same translation as @tip. I thought this poem was a nice little intermezzo after stories with such long and sometimes complicated sentences. I did wonder what’s up with わたしゃ (p. 50). I couldn’t find it in Jisho. Is it some variation on わたしは?

1 Like

Page 53

Question: does anybody know precisely how こと works in the last line? I know it means “thing”, but it seems to function like a particle or something…?

パンの かけらと 小さな あくま

The little devil with a piece of bread

Summary

パン
noun
“bread”

かけら
noun
“fragment; broken piece; scrap”

小さな
pre-noun adjectival
“small; little; tiny”

あくま
noun
devil; fiend

ある ところに、びんぼうな きこりが いました。

In a certain place, there was a poor lumberjack.

Summary

ある
pre-noun adjectival
“a certain …; some …”

ところ
noun
“place”

びんぼうな
na-adjective
“poverty-stricken; poor”

きこり
noun
“woodcutter; lumberjack”

森へ はたらきに 行く ときも、 小さな パンの かけらしか おべんとうに もって いけないほど、びんぼうでした。

He was so poor, that whenever he went to the forest to work, he could only bring a small bit of bread in his lunch box.

Summary

noun
“forest”

はたらきに行く
verb
“go to work”
に indicates the purpose of 行く

とき
noun
DBJP: “a dependent noun which indicates the time when someone does something.”
I think も is used for emphasis.

小さな
pre-noun adjectival
“small; little; tiny”

パン
noun
“bread”

かけら
noun

しか
particle
“only; nothing but”

おべんとう
noun
“bento; Japanese box lunch”

持っていく
verb
“to take; to carry away”
Negative potential, so ‘could not bear’, except that しか goes with a negative, so ‘could only bear’.

ほど
particle
DBJP: “a particle which indicates an extent or a degree to which someone does something or is in some state”

びんぼう
na-adjective
“poverty-stricken; poor”

ある日の こと、きこりは いつものように 森へ 行くと、 パンの かけらを 木の 切りかぶの 上に おいて、 しごとを はじめました。

One day, when the lumberjack went to the forest like usual, he put his piece of bread on top of a tree trunk and started working.

Summary

ある日
expression, noun
“one day; (on) a certain day”

こと
?

きこり
noun
“woodcutter; lumberjack”

いつも
adverb, noun
“always; usually; every time”

ように
auxiliary adjective
“as; like”

noun
“forest”

行く
verb
to go

パン
noun
“bread”

かけら
noun

noun
tree

切りかぶ
noun
stump; stubble

noun
on top of; on; above

おく
verb
to put; to place

しごと
noun
work; job

はじめる
verb
“to begin”

2 Likes

Page 54

I had a fair bit of trouble with this, the last sentence especially. I formulated some questions in the ‘Grammar’ sections. I’d be much obliged if someone could help me out with them.

そこへ、 小さな あくまが、 ひょっこり 顔を 出しました。

There, a small devil suddenly stuck out his face.

Grammar

そこへ
What is へ doing here? へ would indicate movement, whereas I would’ve expected で for a position.

何か おもしろい ことは ないかと、 森の あちこちを うろついて いたのです。

Some interesting thing [isn’t it], he was wandering aimlessly all around the forest.

Grammar

ないかと
Is this ない (plain negative of ある) plus か plus と? I have not idea how to translate this.

いたのです
いた is the plain past form of いる, so here we have ~ている. のです is “a sentence ending which indicates that the speaker is explaining […] some information shared with the hearer” (DBJP).

ふと 見ると、 きこりが、 いっしょうけんめい はたらいて いて、 その そばの 切りかぶの 上に パンの かけらが おいて あります。

When he suddenly saw this, the lumberjack with all his might [???] in that vicinity the scrap of bread had been put on top of the tree trunk.

Grammar

I have no idea what they’re trying to say in this sentence…

はたらいて
:white_check_mark: Solved – What is this? I thought maybe the て form of a verb はたらく, but why is there another て form (いて) behind it?

おいて あります
~てある means “to have been done”, so in this case “to have been put”.

1 Like

Hi, I’m not sure about the whole sentence, but I think I can help on the “いっしょうけんめい はたらいて いて” part. For me it means “was working very hard”.
はたらいて います is “currently working”, and it’s put here in the て-form はたらいて いて

“Suddenly he saw the lumberjack working very hard, and that a piece of bread was put on the top of the tree trunk”.

1 Like

Thanks, I noticed that I made a mistake while copying it, I wrote a ち instead of a ら :woman_facepalming:t3: Changed it in my post to avoid confusion for anyone else. Thanks for explaining the double て form, it makes a lot more sense now that I know they’re both used for different reasons!

Page 55

This page was a bit easier. Lots of repeat vocab, no serious grammar. I have only one question:
もんです (second sentence) – Can’t tell if it’s も + んです (emphatic sentence ending) or もん + です.

小さな あくまは、 ひょいと 手を のぼして パンを さらうと、 あくまの すみかに とんで 帰りました。

After the small devil suddenly raised his hand and snatched the bread, he jumped and returned to his house.

「いっひっひ! どんな もんです。

”Hee hee, what a thing this is.

ぼんやり きこりの おべんとうを、 いただいて きちゃった。」 小さな あくまは、 とくい顔で 言いました。

I have come and taken the lunch of this blockhead lumberjack!” the small devil said, with pride on his face.

Grammar

きちゃった
The ending ちゃった is a contracted form of しまった, “an auxiliary verb which indicates the completion of an action”.

ところが、 大きな あくまたちは、 かんかんに なって おこりました。

However, the big devils got angry and told him off.

「なんて やつだ!びんぼうな きこりの だいじな べんとうじゃないか。

”What is this! This bento is important to the poor lumberjack, isn’t it?

さ、 いますぐ あやまりに 行け。

Come now, go to apologise at once.

1 Like

Page 57

おわびの しるしに、 きこりの ために はたらいて こい。

As a token of your apology, go and work hard for the woodcutter.

Grammar

こい
I’m taking this to be the imperative of 来る.

何か やくに立つ ことを、 やって こい。 それまでは 帰って くるな!」

Go and do something helpful. Until then, don’t come back!”

Grammar

くるな
Dictionary form + な means a negative imperative, so “don’t do X!”

小さな あくまは しょんぼりと、 また きこりの ところへ 行きました。

Dejectedly the little devil went to the lumberjack’s location again.

「きこりさん。 ごめんなさい。 ぼくは、 あなたの だいじな パンを ぬすみました。

Mr Lumberjack, I’m sorry. I stole your valuable bread.

ほんとに ごめんなさい。 おわびに、 何か させて ください。」

Truly, I’m sorry. Please allow me to do something as an apology please.

きこりは、 わらって 言いました。

The lumberjack smiled and said:

1 Like

Page 57 was easier than the other ones, I almost understood everything (after reading the page at least twice!). Thanks for translating each page every day!

1 Like

Heh, I don’t always know what I’m doing! Hopefully a more advanced Japanese student will swing by at some point and help us out with the weird things :grin:

Page 58

This was definitely harder. There’s some bits I’m not sure of in the ‘Grammar’ foldouts.

「パンを かえして くれれば、 それで けっこう 早く お帰り。」

If you do me a favour by returning the bread to me, then that’s sufficient [早くお帰り – return quickly]”.

Grammar

くれれば
:white_check_mark: Solved – Provisional of くれる, to do someone a favour, I think…?

早くお帰り
This seems to mean ‘return quickly’, but I don’t think お帰り is a verb (like an imperative). I do think the lumberjack is telling the little devil to run along now.

「それでは こまるんです。

”Well then, I am embarassed!

どんな ことでも やりますから、 何か 言いつけて ください。」

Since I will do anything whatsoever, please order me to do something.”

小さな あくまは、 なきだしました。

The little devil burst into tears.

そして、 言いました。

And then he [the lumberjack, I presume] said:

「それじゃ、 ちょっと いっしょに 来て くれ。」

Well then, do me a favour and come with me for a little bit.

Grammar

くれ
Imperative of くれる. I imagine it’s the lumberjack talking to the devil.

きこりは、 小さな あくまを、 森の おくの ぬまに つれて いきました。

The lumberjack took the small devil with him to a bog in the middle of the forest.

1 Like

I agree with you. て くれる is for doing a favor, in the -ば form to express the conditional.

1 Like

Haha, I got very excited when I saw in your links that it’s N4 grammar! I might be dawdling with regards to Genki 2, but at least I’m still getting somewhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Page 59

Kind of confused here. 地主 means landowner, だんな means ‘master’, so 地主のだんな seems a bit over the top. Isn’t it more or less saying the same twice? And what on earth is 土地なんだが? And who is speaking to whom?

「ごらん、 この ぬまは どろどろで、 何の やくにも 立たない。

”Look, as this bog is mushy, you can’t do anything useful.
Edit: I think やくにも 立たない refers to the bog, actually. “It is of no use”.

Grammar

DBJP: “a particle (apparently derived from the te-form of desu) that indicates a weak causal relationship”

地主の だんなの 土地なんだが、 もし だんなの ゆるしが 出たら、 おまえ、 この ぬまを 麦ばたけに かえる ことが できるかい?」

But this is the master’s land [???], if we receive the master’s permission, you will we be able to turn this bog into a wheat field, right?”

Grammar

土地なんだが
:white_check_mark: Solved – Is this だ (to be) and が (but), or だが (still, however)? And what is なん doing here?

出たら
Conditional ending in -たら.

「できます、 できます。」 小さな あくまは、 元気いっぱい さけびました。

”We could, we could,” the little devil excitedly exclaimed.

「ほんとかい? それでは、 地主の だんなに おねがいして くるよ。」

”Really? In that case we’ll go and ask the landowner!”

きこりは、 さっそく 地主の やしきに 行きました。

The lumberjack immediately went to the residence of the landowner.

1 Like

「なん」is like the 「のです」that you had encountered earlier. It sort of adds a point of emphasis and it is used for explanation. In this case it is indeed だ+が, so it goes like だんなの土地なんだ が (it is the master’s land but, were the master to permit it, would you be able to… etc).
Nouns and な adjectives take なん or なの before だ or です while い adjectives and verbs use just ん or の.

On a side note, since I’m not completely familiar with the context, だんな can also mean husband, so if the 地主 is actually a female, it would be “It’s the landlord’s husband’s land but…” etc

Hopefully my explanation kind of makes sense!

1 Like

It makes complete sense, thanks a lot! Good to have the mystery solved :grin:
If it’s not too much effort, there are some more questions in the ‘Grammar’ foldouts in my earlier posts. I’d love it if you could have a look.

No worries at all! Are there some specific ones or would it be better to go through them all?

Forgive me for the format! I’m not too good at quoting and all that!

Question: does anybody know precisely how こと works in the last line? I know it means “thing”, but it seems to function like a particle or something…?

ある日のこと is kind of just a set phrase, it doesn’t really mean anything, but it sort of implies ‘one day’ a set of events happened.

そこへ
What is へ doing here? へ would indicate movement, whereas I would’ve expected で for a position.

Normally you’d be right, but へ implies ‘movement’ and in this situation 顔を出した means something like “dropped by”. So it would be similar to if it said そこへ行った.

ないかと
Is this ない (plain negative of ある) plus か plus と? I have not idea how to translate this.

This one’s a little harder to explain, but it’s essentially “(The little devil), wondering if there was anything interesting, was wondering aimlessly around the forest”. An easier way to think about it would be 何か おもしろい ことは ないか と あくまは思っていて、森のあちこちを うるついていたのです。The あくまはおもっていて part is implied. A more literal translation would be “Is there anything interesting?” (thought the little devil as he) wandered around the forest.

As for your actual question about ないかと it is indeed ない+か+と. the と is a quotation marker, so it’s a little separate. It’s like と思う and と言う. ないか is negative form of ある plus か, which is essentially a rhetorical question marker. Another example would be いい人いないか? Are there no good people? (Nuance is: Are there any good people?? Doesn’t seem like it!)

Hopefully that makes sense! If any part of it is still confusing just let me know!

This page was a bit easier. Lots of repeat vocab, no serious grammar. I have only one question:
もんです (second sentence) – Can’t tell if it’s も + んです (emphatic sentence ending) or もん + です.

It is indeed もん+です and what it means here is もの so “どんなものです”

こい
I’m taking this to be the imperative of 来る.

That’s exactly right!

早くお帰り
This seems to mean ‘return quickly’, but I don’t think お帰り is a verb (like an imperative). I do think the lumberjack is telling the little devil to run along now.

That’s exactly right. お帰り is just another form of the verb 帰る and it can be used as an imperative. You can use it for other verbs too, usually in the sense of お食べください、お飲みください etc

If you do me a favour by returning the bread to me

While this would be a literal translation for くれる, I think it’s easier to think about it as “If you return the bread to me” or in the case of a verb like 行ってくれたら translating it as “If you go for me”.

くれ
Imperative of くれる. I imagine it’s the lumberjack talking to the devil.

Another easier way to think of くれ is just as an informal, more masculine way of saying ください. So it wouldn’t be “do me a favour and come with me” it would just be more plainly “come with me”.

Kind of confused here. 地主 means landowner, だんな means ‘master’, so 地主のだんな seems a bit over the top.

As I had said a bit before, I assume that the 地主 is a female and that だんな here is being used to refer to her husband. That’s a common way of using だんな.

Hopefully this helps!!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! This has all been extremely helpful! It seems my biggest problem at the moment is not understanding set phrases and nuances. That’ll come with time I think. I can’t believe how much can come implied in a single . I’ll be on the lookout for that from now on :smile:

1 Like

Page 60

「地主さま、 おねがいです。 森の おくの ぬまを ほして、 麦ばたけに しても よろしいですかね?」

”Mrs. Landowner, I have a request. May I drain the bog in the depths of the forest and turn it into a wheat field?”

「なに、 あの ぬまを 麦ばたけに?」

”What, that bog into a wheat field?”

地主は、 あきれて わらいだしました。

The landowner was amazed and burst into laughter.

「おまえ 気でも くるったのか? まあ、 よい。 すきなように やって みろ、 あっはっは。」

”Have you lost your mind? Well, fine. As you wish, have a try, haha.”

Notes

気でも
I’m guessing this is 気 で も, rather than 気 でも. The で might indicate location and the も might be used for emphasis.

地主は、 おなかを ゆすって 言いました。

The landowner said, her belly shaking (with laughter).

ゆるしを もらって、 きこりが 帰って くると、 小さな あくまは、 さっそく しごとに とりかかりました。

When the lumberjack went back, having received permission, the little devil immediately started the work.