10 Minute Biographies Chapter 9 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Yeah, Jisho doesn’t list that, unfortunately.
For example sentences, Jisho uses the Tanaka corpus which is not quality-controlled, so it’s always worth to doubt the sentences (and to double-check if you feel so inclined).
In this case, the する variant is intransitive and the させる variant is transitive (it’s annotated in the link I added above). I checked 大辞林 which does not give annotations either, but the example sentence is clear enough imho: 新校舎が完成する。

2 Likes
p. 125

お経も掃除も、途中で放り出しては、絵ばかり描いています。
He dropped out in the middle of sutra chanting and cleaning, only to draw pictures.
和尚さんが何度叱っても、効き目がありません。
No matter how often the preceptor scolds him, there is no effect.
ある日、ついに和尚さんの怒りが爆発。
One day, the preceptor’s anger finally explodes.

4 Likes

That story about being scolded brings back memories! Now I remember that I’ve already read about this artist in this history book:

:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

This is not the easiest chapter in the book. A lot of new expressions and new vocabulary.

p. 126

「この手が悪いのだな。ならば、こうしてくれる。
“This is unscrupulous. If that’s so, we’ll do like this. (??)
わしが許すまでここで反省しなさい。」
You’ll meditate here until I let you off.”
雪舟を、本堂の柱に、縛り付けてしまいました。
He tied Sesshū to a pillar of the main hall.
薄暗い本堂に、一人取りのにされた雪舟は、心細くて堪まりません。
Sesshū, taken alone in the dimly lit hall, is disheartened and can hardly bear it.
涙が溢れて、ぼたぼたと床に落ちました。
Tears flowed and fell to the floor in droplets.
「そろそろ許してやるとするか。」
“I guess, by now it’s time to let him off.”
しばらくして、和尚さんが本堂に戻ると……。
After a while, when the preceptor returns to the hall, …

4 Likes

not just me then! I was begining to understand a lot more without Prof Goolge but this chapter has had me stuggling even with that help.

4 Likes

Much more straight forward couple of pages coming up next. Some relief!

「そろそろ許してやるとするか。」

“I guess, by now it’s time to let him off.”

What is this とする?

1 Like

It says ぽたぽた in my version but it seems to mean the same thing.

You are right. I mistyped.

dictionary form plus とする is used when you decide to begin a new action. So here it would be maybe something like: Shouldn’t we release him soon?

2 Likes

My birthday present from my family. What a coincidence.

6 Likes

Sorry for the delay :wink:

p. 127

「ややっ、ネズミ!」
“Oh - a mouse!”
雪舟の足元に、一匹の大きなネズミがいるではありませんか。
There is a large mouse at Sesshū’s feet, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Wow, we are looking forward to your first 水墨画.

1 Like

I got much simplified version for mother’s day last year, so beautiful, still working on technique, probably will be for a while :slight_smile:
I also have brush style pens that I use more often, when I don’t want to start by grinding my own ink!

Enjoy!

1 Like

I just learned 墨絵 (すみが) in WaniKani and I had actually pictured it as being 水墨画 (すいぼくが) so this is a well timed chapter. This got me to look them up and I think I understand better now how they differ. I’m annoyed their readings are so different.

This chapter didn’t seem too bad so far but that pg 126… I was looking up a lot of words. I’m pleasantly surprised how many of the words this chapter I’ve encountered recently in WaniKani though.

2 Likes

I think it’s すみえ not すみが。What did you learn about the difference between the two words?

2 Likes

You’re right! That was a typo.

I was mostly looking at image search results and you can tell that 墨絵 is 2 tones (black/white), whereas 水墨画 looks like water painting but with inks. 墨絵 examples also looked a lot more modern, used often in fan art.

A landscape example by Sesshu. This is what I sort of had in mind when I learned すみえ.

3 Likes

Poor Sesshū must have been completely dehydrated after having cried so much.

p. 128

「しっ、しっ!あっちへ行け!」
“Shh, shh! Get away from here!”
ところが、このネズミは、追い払っても全く動かないのです。
However, even chased away, this mouse does not move at all.
「おや、こ、これは……。」和尚さんが生きたネズミだと思ったのは、実は絵に描いたネズミ。
“Oh, th…this …” What the preceptor thought to be a living mouse was actually a drawing of a mouse.
しかも、雪舟が、床に落ちた自分の涙を、足の指でなぞって描いたものだったのです。
What’s more, Sesshū had been drawing it, tracing with his toes his own tears fallen to the floor.

4 Likes
p. 129

「そうか、お前はそんなに絵が好きなのか。
“So, you like painting so much?
それにしても、見事な出来栄えだ。」
At any rate, the result is splendid.”
その日から、和尚さんは、雪舟が絵を描いても叱らなくなりました。
From that day on, the preceptor no longer scolded Sesshū for drawing pictures.
さて、岡山のお寺で数年間をすぐした後、雪舟は、京都のお寺に移りました。
Now, after having spent several years at the temple in Okayama, Sesshū moved to a temple in Kyoto.
都で、お坊さんの修行をしながら、絵の勉強をするためです。
In the capital he would study painting while doing the monk practices.

4 Likes

Might be better to say - “while training to be a monk”.

4 Likes

@2000kanji Your page numbers got off by one starting with 129. I was starting to think my printed copy had diverged quite a bit from yours!

1 Like