10 Minute Biographies Chapter 6 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

I’m not sure whether the second kanji is actually in the book or whether you introduced it; if it is the second case, I was wondering whether 描く wouldn’t be a better match?

1 Like

The book has かく written with kana. 書く is also to paint or to draw (second meaning in Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary. On the other hand jisho has 描く on the page かく - Jisho.org but gives えがく as pronunciation and refers to 書く:

えがく is the main reading, but かく is also a valid reading (in fact that’s how I learned the kanji in the first place). See also Jisho:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-26 um 19.59.02

2 Likes

I think you’re both right!

5 Likes
p. 91

そして、お酒を飲んだり、食べたりする人たちの中から、モデルになる人を探して、スケッチしました。
Then, among the alcohol drinking and eating people, he looked for people who became his models and he sketched them.
それから、壁の前に立ちました。
After that, he stood before the wall.
縦四メートル、横九メートルという、とても大きな壁です。
It is a very large wall, 4 m high and 9 m wide.
レオナルドは、じっと壁を見つめました。
Motionless, Leonardo stared at the wall.
次の日も、その次の日も、じっと壁を見つめました。
Also the following day and the day after that, he motionlessly stared at the wall.

6 Likes
p. 92

すると、「少しも絵がすすまないではないか!」しびれを切らした修道院長が怒鳴りました。
Thereupon the abbot impatiently shouted at him: “Why hasn’t the painting made any progress?”
公爵も、レオナルドに訪ねました。「なぜ、筆を動かさないのか?」
The duke, too, called on Leonardo: “Why hasn’t the paintbrush been moved?”
「頭の中で、絵を描いているのです。」
“I am painting the picture in my head.”
レオナルドは、人物やテーブルの上の食べ物など、どこに何を書くのかをイメージしていたのです。
Leonardo was making a mental image of what to paint where, such as the characters and the food on the table.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is a why-question here - in fact I don’t think it’s a real question at all:

There has not been any progress on the painting, right?

4 Likes

Yes, you are right. I had overlooked the small note in ichi.moe, saying that the second meaning is only after the volitional form.

2 Likes

And I should have written 進まない instead of すすまない.

2 Likes

Just a small note: this isn’t passive; it’s simply 筆を動かす. “Why aren’t you moving the paintbrush?

4 Likes

You’ve put the translation in a passive past voice, which doesn’t change the meaning, but I guess a more literal translation would be “Why are you not moving the paintbrush?”. The topic is not explicitly stated in the sentence but I would assume it is あなたは or similar.

3 Likes

Just to mention, page 95 which is coming up has no text, so according to the schedule we just skip that page (rather than having a day off).

3 Likes
p. 93

絵のイメージが正確にできるまで、筆を動かすことはありませんでした。
Until the painting’s image would be accurate, he wouldn’t move the brush.
さて、いよいよ絵を書き始めます。
Then, he finally begins to paint the picture.
しかし、今度は修道院長が、「ここは、こうしなさい。」と、勝手な注文をつけてきます。
But now, the abbot gave an arbitrary order: “Here, do it like this.”
これには、レオナルドもうんざりしました。
Leonardo had enough with this.

3 Likes

I think in the last sentence the nuance of も is missing. If I interpreted this correctly it stresses that Leonardo is usually a relaxed guy but this was even for him too much and he got annoyed. But I don’t how to express that in a decent english sentence. :sweat_smile::v:

1 Like

“After that, Leonardo also had enough.”

1 Like

Yeah, maybe „After that, even Leonardo had enough“? :thinking: „also“ sounds to like someone else is fed up as well …

2 Likes

That was deliberate; the abbot & co all seem to be fairly ill-tempered so saying that Leonardo also had enough makes sense in my opinion. And I think that’s what the も is conveying in the Japanese text as well.

3 Likes

Rather than “arbitrary” I went for “one’s way” - However, the Abbot orders him to do it his way saying, “Do it this way”.

1 Like
p. 94

そんなことが何度もありましたが、レオナルドは、自分が描きたいものを描こうと、頑張りました。
That happened many times, but Leonardo persisted in painting what he himself wanted to paint.
それから三年ーー。絵はようよく完成しました。
And then, three years later … The painting was finally completed.
それは、素晴らしい出来栄えでした。
It was a wonderful success.
一人一人の人物が、今にも動き出しそうなほどです。
It seems like each of the characters is about to come alive.
この絵は、今では、世界中の人々に愛される名画となっています。
This painting has now become a masterpiece loved by people all over the world.

p. 95
Did you notice that the painting on p. 95 is a mirror image of the real one:

4 Likes

Page 94

Summary

そんな ことが 何度も ありましたが, レオナルドは, 自分が 描きたい ものを 描こうと, 頑張りました。

There were many times like that, but Leonardo tried hard to draw what he wanted to draw.

それから 三年ー。
This lasted for three years.

絵はようやく完成しました。

The painting was finally finished.

それは素晴らしい出来栄えでした。

It was a great work.

人ひとりの人物が今にも動きだしそうなほどです。

It gave the impression that each person is about to start moving.

この今世界に中の人々に愛される名画となっています。

It became a famous painting still loved by everybody all over the world.

5 Likes