10 Minute Biographies Chapter 6 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

That was deliberate; the abbot & co all seem to be fairly ill-tempered so saying that Leonardo also had enough makes sense in my opinion. And I think that’s what the も is conveying in the Japanese text as well.

3 Likes

Rather than “arbitrary” I went for “one’s way” - However, the Abbot orders him to do it his way saying, “Do it this way”.

1 Like
p. 94

そんなことが何度もありましたが、レオナルドは、自分が描きたいものを描こうと、頑張りました。
That happened many times, but Leonardo persisted in painting what he himself wanted to paint.
それから三年ーー。絵はようよく完成しました。
And then, three years later … The painting was finally completed.
それは、素晴らしい出来栄えでした。
It was a wonderful success.
一人一人の人物が、今にも動き出しそうなほどです。
It seems like each of the characters is about to come alive.
この絵は、今では、世界中の人々に愛される名画となっています。
This painting has now become a masterpiece loved by people all over the world.

p. 95
Did you notice that the painting on p. 95 is a mirror image of the real one:
The Last Supper (Leonardo) - WikipediaLeonardo_Da_Vinci-_High_Resolution_32x16.jpg

4 Likes

Page 94

Summary

そんな ことが 何度も ありましたが, レオナルドは, 自分が 描きたい ものを 描こうと, 頑張りました。

There were many times like that, but Leonardo tried hard to draw what he wanted to draw.

それから 三年ー。
This lasted for three years.

絵はようやく完成しました。

The painting was finally finished.

それは素晴らしい出来栄えでした。

It was a great work.

人ひとりの人物が今にも動きだしそうなほどです。

It gave the impression that each person is about to start moving.

この今世界に中の人々に愛される名画となっています。

It became a famous painting still loved by everybody all over the world.

5 Likes
p. 96

レオナルドは、優れた芸術家でしたが、実は、別の顔も持っていました。
Leonardo was an outstanding artist, but actually, he also had another face.
発明家であり、科学者でもあったのです。
He was an inventor and also a scientist.
「空を飛びたい」と思うと、ヘリコプターやパラシュートのようなものを考えました。
He thought “I want to fly in the air” and devised things like helicopters and parachutes.
「水の中を自由に動きたい」と思うと、浮輪や潜水艦のようなものを考えました。
He thought “I want to move freely in the water” and devised things like life belts and submarines.
「太陽の熱を何かに使いたい」と思うと、太陽エネルギーで水を温める仕組みを考えました。
He thought “I want to somehow use the heat of the sun” and devised a mechanism to heat water with solar energy.

2 Likes

I would have translated these と sentences with „When he thought …“ but I guess it doesn’t make a big difference.

2 Likes

Page 95:

Summary

レオナルドは優れた 芸術 家でしたが、実は、別の 顔も もっていました。

Leonardo was an amazing artist but he it was not the only one of his faces.

発明家であり科学社でもあったのです。

We also know him as inventor and a scientist.

「空を飛びない」と思う, と ヘリコプターやパラシュートのような 物 を 考えました。

He thought of things similar to helicopters and parachutes as he wanted to fly in the sky.

「水の中を自由に動きない」と思うと、浮き輪や潜水艦のような 物 考えました。

He thought of things similar to a life-buoy and a submarine as he wanted to freely move in the water.

「太陽の熱を何かに使いたい」と思うと、太陽エネルギーで水を暖める仕組みを考えました。

He thought of a mechanism that uses sun energy for heating water.

1 Like

In the last sentence, you have omitted the first part:
「太陽の熱を何かに使いたい」と思うと、

1 Like

I don’t think this comes from 会う, it’s from ある. :v:

3 Likes

Or perhaps “other faces”.

2 Likes

spot on, fixed now

1 Like
p.97

それらの発明で、実現できたものはあまりありませんでしたが、そのアイデアが書かれた絵は残されていて、今でも人々を驚かせています。
Not many of those inventions could be realized, but the drawings of these ideas have survived and are still surprising people.
また、「人の体の中は、どうなっているのだろう」と思うと、特別に許しをもらい、死体を解剖して、命の秘密を探ることもありました。
Also, he thought “What might the interior of the human body consist of?”, obtained a special permission and dissected corpses to even explore the secret of life.

Both deepl and google translate the last sentence saying that he sometimes got a special permission for autopsies. I don’t see where this sometimes comes from.

2 Likes

Maybe this link helps?
(Although I would translate it as “he got a special permission and sometimes dissected corpses/there were times when he dissected corpses as well”, not that he sometimes got a special permission)

4 Likes

I know I am really late and you guys have reached till Chapter 6 but I want to ask whether I will understand the book at level 6 and basic grammar knowledge.

1 Like
p. 98

絵を書く他に、興味のあることには、なんでもチャレンジしたレオナルド。
Besides drawing, Leonardo attempted everything that interested him.
たくさん勉強し、いろいろな才能を持っていたことから、レオナルドは、「万能の天才」と呼ばれています。
Because he studied a lot and had various talents, Leonardo is called a “universal genius”.

レオナルド・ダ・ビンチ(一四五二〜一五一九年)
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
文字を裏返しに書いた人
The person who wrote the letters backwards
レオナルドは、なんでもメモをする人でした。
Leonardo was a person who took notes on everything.
いつもメモ帳を持ち歩き、絶対に手放さなかったそうです。
It seems that he always carried around his notebook and never let it go.
それらのメモの文字は、すべて「鏡文字(裏返しになっていて、鏡に映すと正しい文字のなる)」という文字で、右から左へと書きました。
The letters in those notes were all written from the right to the left in “mirror letters” (reversed letters that become correct letters when reflected in a mirror).

4 Likes

I think you confused different kinds of そう. This is そう for hearsay (maybe here: it is said), そう for conjecture can not be used to refer to events in the past. :v:

1 Like

The chapters are independent. Tomorrow we will jump from da Vinci to Columbus (and to a new thread). If you already have the book, you may try to read along. As there are different authors for the chapters, the difficulty may vary.

3 Likes

Oh, I understand.

Welcome! Your kanji level is fine at level 6, you’ll recognise lots of the kanji and enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Depending on how wide your vocabulary is outside of Wanikani, there may be lots of vocab that you don’t know. That’s not really an issue, you can look words up and it’s only a few sentences a day.

Your grammar level is the main thing to consider. I would recommend that you’ve covered all the JLPT5 grammar before starting. If you’re not there yet I think your time would be more productively spent working through those basic grammar concepts.

2000kanji is converting the text to full kanji in his posts, but there are a lot less kanji in the book, and all the kanji that are there have furigana.

5 Likes

Here’s the link to the next thread for Chapter 7 discussion.

3 Likes