10 Minute Biographies Chapter 11 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

pg. 164 + End Note

《ミスタ•ヌードルに感謝。
“Thanks to Mr. Noodles.
インスタントラーメンはお湯さえあれば、だれでも神の恵みを受けられる。
As for instant ramen, if one only has hot water, anyone can receive divine blessings.
安藤は、人類の進歩の歴史に、永遠にその名を残すだろう。》
As for Ando, in the history of human progress that name will likely be bequeathed to eternity.”
安藤百福(一九一〇〜二〇〇七年)
Momofuku Ando (1910-2007)
夢は宇宙へ
Dreams towards space
カップヌードルを作り出したあとも、安藤百福のラーメンにかける夢は、広がりました。
Even after suddenly creating cup noodles, Momofuku’s dreams relating to ramen extended out.
二〇〇一年には、宇宙で食べられるラーメンの研究を始めました。
In 2001, he started research on ramen that could be eaten in space.
そして、二〇〇五年、宇宙飛行士の野口聡一さんが乗ったスペースシャトルに、世界初の宇宙食ラーメン、『スペース•ラム』が積み込まれました。
Then, in 2005, on the space shuttle pilot Souichi Noguchi rode on, the world’s first space food ramen, Space Ram, was loaded aboard.

I think this might be the NYT piece that this chapter borrowed quotes from: Opinion | Mr. Noodle - The New York Times

Yeah, a few tricky sentences aside, there weren’t very many new grammar points in this chapter. Made it an easier read! I enjoyed it for that.

5 Likes

I think they would just be read as ゼロ. れい also means zero, but I see ゼロ more often.

1 Like

Wow so poetic:

Ramen noodles have earned Mr. Ando an eternal place in the pantheon of human progress. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Give him ramen noodles, and you don’t have to teach him anything.

5 Likes

Google says にれいれいごねん,
ichi.moe says にせん​ごねん.
I would prefer the latter (only my personal preference).

2 Likes

After reading this chapter I have a new respect for the humble cup noodle!

I am also (slightly) better at reading the katakana ヌ (although I still misread it as タ on the last page…)

4 Likes

The plastic-and-foam part is a bit weird though…?

1 Like

I assume it’s the foam container with plastic utensils? I can find examples of foam noodle cups and plastic noodle cups but not really any that would be a mix of the two…

If anyone hasn’t watched Tampopo before, I’d recommend it BTW. It’s a love letter to ramen specifically (not sure how the characters in the film feel about カップヌードル) and it’s pretty funny.

5 Likes

Chapter 12 thread link for tomorrow.

4 Likes