10 Minute Biographies Chapter 10 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

pg. 150

これは、十年間もかけて作った、富太郎の代表作です。
This is Tomitarou’s masterwork, that took him as many as 10 years to create.
日本の植物図鑑の元となる一冊で、今でも使われています。
It became the foundation of Japanese illustrated plant guides in one volume, and is still being used.

End Note:
おしゃれな植物博士
Smartly-dressed plant expert
富太郎が、山に植物を取りに行くときは、いつもスーツに蝶ネクタイをしていたそうです。
It is said that Tomitarou was always wearing a bowtie with his suit when he went to gather plants in the mountains.
山歩きをするのに、どうしてそんなきれいな格好をしていくのでしょう。
For hiking, why would he do that kind of nice appearance?
富太郎にとっては、好きな人に会うためにおしゃれをするのと同じことでした。
As far as Tomitarou was concerned, it was the same thing as dressing up to meet people you like.
大好きな植物に会う礼儀として、おしゃれをしていたのです。
For the courtesy of meeting his beloved plants, he would dress up.

There’s a botanical garden named after Makino in Kochi prefecture: Makino Botanical Garden Top Page
It looks lovely! I always like visiting the local botanical garden whenever I get to travel to a new city.

6 Likes
Page 150

これは、十年間もかけて作った、富太郎の代表作です。
This is Tomitarou’s masterpiece, which has taken him 10 year to create.
日本の植物図鑑の元と成る一冊で、今でも使われています。
The book that become the origin of all guides to japanese plants, and it used even now.

Too tired to work on small text, will read other people translations for that

Question about last sentence:
日本の植物図鑑の元と成る一冊で、今でも使われています。
How the part with “origin” “become” “one volume” is being constructed/governed, there is no particles between の and で

Wow, I’m super exited that I stick with this chapter till the end (given my previous history of joining several clubs and dropping very quickly). It takes me between 30-60 minutes to complete daily assignment. I cannot say that it’s getting easier, and I attribute it to my very low grammar level, so I’m actively working thru Genki and bunpro. But just knowing that I’ve translated previous pages gives me a mental boost when I start new page.

See you all at Chapter 11!

6 Likes

It’s getting おいしい!

6 Likes

To be 100% honest, this was my least favorite chapter (even though I do like botany) of the book. The next 2 chapters I like more.

1 Like

There is the particle と between の and で. So it’s the book (一冊) that become the foundation (元となる/ keep in mind that you usually write なる in hirgana only) of these other plant books.
I am not sure if you are implying that で is here a particle - but just in case, I think it is not, it is the te-form of the noun using で.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering! And that last bit was also useful, I just read about noun te-forms, and I just don’t recognize them properly yet.

1 Like

This is the first chapter that I’ve finished to the end too! I silently tried to catch up with the Sesshu chapter but never quite made it…

I can’t compare it to earlier chapters, but the Makino story was pretty good. Nice mix of grammar that I understood with more challenging material in places. Looking forward to the next one!

3 Likes

This gave me a good chuckle - I interpreted as “a necktie with butterflies printed on it” :rofl: Thanks for your translation as “bow tie”!

I think that would be 会う though? (with the meaning of “to meet” in both cases)

5 Likes

Yes, it’s even written with kanji in the book.

3 Likes

It helped me that in my native language, bow ties are also called butterflies (Päiperléck). In French they are butterflies, too (nœud papillon). In German they are flies (Fliege).

4 Likes

This has been a great chapter and really enjoyed all the discussions. One of the harder chapters in my opinion. Chapter 11 thread is up ready for tomorrow.

4 Likes

I own the book but I am so much behind that I now just lurking too.

1 Like