10 Minute Biographies - Chapter 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

p. 20

The song friends are singing while experimenting.

“どんな ことが あっても くじけず、楽しもう する、心。”

No matter what happens, keep enjoying what you are doing (in your heart), don’t be discouraged.

Why も after あって?

What does くじけず have to do with “discouraged”? Is there a kanji hiding behind?

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t get what you are saying here. :thinking:

くじけず comes from the verb くじける, which is usually written without kanji as far as I know and means „to be disheartened“. くじけず is an alternative form of くじけないで and used to say in which way the action is done, that is „without being disheartened“.
ても is used to express „even if“ but here it’s best translated as „whatever“, just like you did.
I’m not absolutely sure, but I interpreted the 心 as a noun that is modified by the phrase that comes before. I therefore translated it as „the spirit of trying to enjoy without getting disheartened, whatever happens“.

2 Likes

Can you tell me how to blur spoilers?

Mark the text after writing your text and then click on the little cogwheel at the right. Then you will see the option to blur. :v:

p. 20

my translation

友人をたくさん読んで、アイデアを出し合い、思いついたものは、どんどん試していくのがエジソンのやり方でした。
Edison’s way was to see a lot of friends, contributing ideas and to try out what came into his mind.
「『失敗したら、恥ずかしい』なんて考えてちゃ、だめだ。恐れば、思い切ってやろう。」
“You must not think ‘If I fail, I’ll be embarrassed’. Don’t be afraid, act boldly.”
昼も発明、夜も発明……、寝る時間は、たったの二、三時間。
Inventions by day, inventions by night …, sleeping time of only 2 to 3 hours.
それなエジソンに、友人たちが一番驚いたのは、「どんなことがあってもくじけず、楽しもうとする心」でした。
What surprised his friends most about Edison, was his “Whatever happens, don’t be crushed, try to have fun” spirit.
あるどきエジソンは、電話を発明しようと、二千種類にも及ぶ材料で、実験を繰り返していました。
At one time, trying to invent the telephone, Edison repeated experiments with as much as 2000 different materials.

4 Likes

Here is my translation:

translation

He invited often friends and they exchanged ideas, it was Edison‘s way to quickly try out the things they they thought of.
„„If it‘s not good, then it’s embarassing““ - thinking like this is not allowed. Let’s do it without fear and boldly.“
Inventions in the daytime, inventions in the night … Sleeping time was only 2, 3 hours.
What amazed his friends the most about this Edison was his „Whatever happens I will try to enjoy this without being disencouraged spirit“.
Once, when Edison tried to invent the telephone he repeated his experiments over and over with two thousand different kinds of material.

I have one question. I know that you can use for example 思わず instead of 思わないで to express „without thinking“ and that the former is more formal/rather used in writing. But can you use the ず-form as well when you make a negative request? Because that’s how both you and @Marusiaside translated this expression and I’ve never seen it used that way. Thanks to anyone who can help me here!

4 Likes

Do you mean くじけず?
You can rephrase my translation with

Whatever happens, try to have fun without being disheartened.

4 Likes

Would that be 呼んで by any chance?

I don’t think there is a request being made in the Japanese. The sentence

くじけず、楽しもうとする心

just describes his spirit which is qualified by “without being disheartened, trying to enjoy”. I think it just flows more naturally that way in English.

5 Likes

Yes, much better!

1 Like

Hey, all.
Trying hard to catch up, and trying to understand what I can.

On p18, what was the deal with all the もs…?

“二十二さい、お金にもつもたない、ちゅうせんでした。”
(“二十二才、お金荷物持たない、挑戦でした。”…?)

It almost seems like も is acting as a ‘grouping’ particle here, like と and や.

Maybe I’m just not getting it…

2 Likes

Glad you are persevering. Remember if you get too far behind you can always skip a chapter to catch up with the main group.

This is point number 2 in Jisho for も:

1. both A and B; A as well as B; neither A nor B (in a negative sentence)​as AもBも

So here it means “carrying neither money or luggage”

5 Likes

I think the よう gives the meaning of “seems”, and the な kind of makes しているよう into an adjective to describe the following 人.
But I’m not at all really sure… :confused: :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Thanks. I think I’m up to speed now. Just done p19, and we start p20 tomorrow, right?

So も is used for pairs of items rather than a list or group…? Interesting. :thinking:
Btw, the grammar spreadsheet hasn’t been updated since p13… :worried:

It’s actually really cool to be able to read some of the smaller, simpler sentences without referring to anything! The longer, more complex sentences give me a headache! :exploding_head: :laughing:

2 Likes

Could someone help me on page twenty with this part of the first sentence, ためしていくのが, I’ve peeked in the translations here and I can gather that it should mean roughly “keep trying or to try out”, but I can’t really wrap my mind around it…

Same question really with the last part of the same sentence, たりかたでした… I can’t really wrap my head around it so any calrification would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

やり方 just means way, manner of doing. I guess it originates from やる (to make) plus 方 (direction, way).

2 Likes

This is from the verb 試す - Jisho.org - to try out - in て-form with ていく - to do from here. Then it’s turned into a noun with の, and at the end you have the subject particle が。

According to 2000kanji’s post this is りかたでした - maybe that helps already? It’s from the verb やる - Jisho.org - to do, together with 方 - Jisho.org (second entry, #3) - way of doing, followed by です in past tense.

4 Likes

Thank you, yes I misspelled やり方。。silly mistake

1 Like

p. 21

my translation

ところが同じころ、ベルという発明家が電話を完成させ、先を越されてしまいました。
Around the same time, an inventor named Bell perfected the telephone, and beat him to it.
エジソンは、言いました。
Edison said:
「悔しいなあ。それじゃ僕は、もっと便利で、面白い物を作ってみせるぞ。」
“That’s annoying. Well then, I will produce something more useful and interesting.”

6 Likes

I translated this passage like you did. Just two little differences:

1. I started with „However around the same time …“ because that’s how I interpreted ところが here.
  2. I translated the last bit as „I’m sure will create something more useful and interesting“ to make sense of みせる.
5 Likes

Thanks for that. I had read 作ってみせる simply as two connected verbs - “I will create and show/display”.

Having read your translation I see that てみせる is actually a separate grammar point meaning - “I’ll definitely…”

PS - looks like tomorrow is a easy day, just one sentence!

9 Likes