10 Minute Biographies Book Club Chapter 4 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Oh, haha that I actually didn’t know, then it makes sense!

Thanks again :smiley:

1 Like
p. 69

この光の発見は、世界中を驚かせました。
The discovery of this light surprised all around the world.
X線で撮るレントゲン写真は、体の中の病気や、折れた骨などを、調べることができるのです。
Röntgen photographs taken with X-rays made it possible to examine diseases inside the body, broken bones, etc.
レントゲンは、X線の発見によって、最初のノーベル賞を受賞しました。
For the discovery of X-rays, Röntgen won the first Nobel Prize.
でも、X線でお金儲けを 使用 しようとは、思いませんでした。
But he didn’t think that X-rays could be used to earn money that he should make money with X-rays.

EDIT: Thanks to @buburoi for pointing out my mistake on 使用・しよう (see below)

3 Likes

I think you misinterpreted this one. しよう here is not 使用 but the volitional form of する. So it reads something like: But making money with the X-rays was not something he intended. (Maybe not the best translation but you get the idea.)

4 Likes

I was a bit surprised because my sentence suggests that he will make money with his discovery. That’s the problem with hiragana instead of proper kanji :wink:

2 Likes

Haha, yes it’s really annoying sometimes. Today I stumbled upon this sentence: ジャマイカと いえば、元りく上たんきよりせん手の ウサイン・バルトさん… and took me forever to get what it’s about. Kanji would have been helpful, I guess. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here’s my page 68 (again erring on the painfully literal side):

なまりと いっしょに 手の ほねが、けい光ばんに うつったのです!
[Explaining what Röntgen said in the previous sentence:] Together with the lead, the bones of his hand: they were projected onto the fluorescent screen.

『何か』は、ひふや きん肉を 通りぬけ、ほねは 通りぬけなかった ため、ほねの かたちが かげと なって、うつっていたのです。
The “something”—because, though it passed through skin and muscle, it did not pass through bone—became a shadow in the shape of the bones. And so [the bones] were projected.

レントゲンは、この 『何か』を「X線」と 名付け、はっぴょうしました。
Röntgen named the “something” X-rays and made it public.

「X」と いうのは、正体の わからない ものを さす いみで つかわれる 言葉です。
They were called X because that is a term that is used with a meaning that indicates things of which the true form is not understood.

X線は じつは、目には 見えない とくべつな 光だったのです。
X-rays, in actuality, are a special kind of light that is invisible to the eye.

2 Likes
p.70

「私は、X線が世界の人々のためになるよう、自由に使えるようにしたいのです。」
“I want to make sure that X-rays are freely usable for the benefit of the people of the world.”
X線は、病気や怪我を調べる他にも、工場で作った機械に故障がないかを見つけるのに使われるなど、今もいるいるなところで役立っています。
In addition to examining illnesses and injuries, X-rays can now also be useful for various tasks such as checking for failures in factory-made machines.

ウィルヘルム・コンラート・レントゲン(一八四五〜一九二三年)
Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen (1845-1923)
世界初のレントゲン写真
The world’s first Roentgen photography

レントゲンは、X線を発見したことを明らかにするために、奥さんの手のレントゲン写真を撮影しました。
Röntgen took a Roentgen photography of his wife’s hand to make public his discovery of X-rays.
これが、世界で初めてのレントゲン写真です。
This is the world’s first Roentgen photography.
自分の骨が写った写真を見て、奥さんは気味が悪くなり、「自分の命は、もう少ししか残っていないに違いたい」と思ったそうです。
When his wife saw her own bones reproduced on the photograph, she felt uneasy and thought: “I must have only a little time left to live”.

4 Likes

I think this is another great translation! The only thing I’d like to add is that my the nuance of そうです in the last sentence got lost in your interpretation.

1 Like

Question, page 69: " でも、X線でお金もうけをしようとは、思いませんでした。". What does the “もうけ” mean?

2 Likes

金儲け is a noun and means money-making.

6 Likes

This is も + 受け - Jisho.org + をする in volitional form:

“even making money out of them”

EDIT: Apparently not! See the answer above mine, that’s the correct one.

2 Likes

What does the “ために” mean in the two sentences on page 70, “「私は、X線が世界の人々のためになるよう、自由に使えるようにしたいのです。」” and “レントゲンは、X線を発見したことを明らかにするために、奥さんの手のレントゲン写真を撮影しました。”?

Edit: Is it 為に, for, the reason being, or something?

2 Likes

Conveniently, sentence 1 goes with meaning 1 and sentence 2 with meaning 2 :wink:

2 Likes

Is it? :thinking: I thought this would be 金儲け. Is it ambiguous what they mean here?

1 Like

I‘m pretty sure it’s お金儲け :+1:t3:

1 Like

Hmm, you’re probably right. It fit the meaning well in my head though :joy_cat:

Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

Chapter 5 thread is up ready for tomorrow.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, confusion is a friend. 🥸

1 Like

In case anybody wants to know more about him, there is a museum in the town where he was born (it’s established only a few hundred meters from his birthplace):

Of course now is not the time to think about a museum visit, but they show some pictures of the exhibition and stuff.

For the record: I grew up not too far from that place, and when I was at elementary school, we visited it as a school excursion trip. (And I even returned there as an adult.)

3 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t know it’s that close. Have to check this out when things are a little bit more relaxed again.

1 Like