10 Minute Biographies Book Club Chapter 3 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

10 Minute Biographies Chapter Three: Beethoven

Start Date: 9th December

Previous Chapter: Chapter 2
Next Chapter: Chapter 4
Home Thread: Link

Schedule

We are reading at the pace of one page per day. If a sentence crosses two pages it is read as part of the first page.

Daily reading schedule
Date Page Last Line of Page
Dec 9 43 Chapter title page
Dec 10 44 男の子、ルートビッヒ・バン・
Dec 11 45 たたかれる ことも ありました。
Dec 12 46 ちがい、ピアノを のびのびと
Dec 13 47 大すきに なりました。
Dec 14 48 ウィーン ー よし、やってやるぞ!)
Dec 15 49 モーツャルトは 見向きも しません。
Dec 16 50 会場の みんなに 言いました。
Dec 17 51 音楽家に なるに ちがいない。」
Dec 18 52 病気は 日に日に ひどくなり、
Dec 19 53 ええい、しんでしまえ。」
Dec 20 54 気持ちが わきあがるのを かんじたのです。
Dec 21 55 それを 曲に しよう。」
Dec 22 56 どんどん 生みだしていきました。
Dec 23 57 ベートーベンは 、五十六さいで なくなるまでに、
Dec 24 58 End of chapter

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• If posting a complete translation of a sentence we generally blur / hide this, as seeing the translation may be a spoiler for those who haven’t read that part yet and wanted to translate for themselves. The easiest way to do this is select the text, click on the cog icon, and select “Blur Spoiler”, or you can type it like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

6 Likes

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

1 Like
title p. 43

ベートーベン
Beethoven
耳が聞こえなくなってもくじけず、美しい音楽を作った。
He composed beautiful music without being disheartened by his increasing deafness.

(In fact, I think he was disheartened.)

4 Likes

Hi! It is my first time ever participating on a Wanikani book club. よろしくお願いします!Quick question: Anyone using the ebook version in Kindle? It seems that the “text” are images and so using the built-in-dictionaries or making annotations on the “text” do not work. I just wanted to confirm if this is the case or if I’m doing something wrong…

1 Like

Hey welcome to the club! It’s my first one too and I really like it so far. I think I lose motivation fast when I’m reading all alone. Unfortunately I can’t help you with your question as I bought the book. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t know about kindle but that’s how it works with the BookWalker digital edition of this book as well - they basically treat the book like a manga because the book pages are layouted with images and such, therefore they decided to capture the pages as screenshots (where you cannot take notes or look up words unfortunately). The upside is that you get to keep the nice layout.
(Older versions on BookWalker treat the text as text but then the images are on a different page and everything is very ugly, so the new layout feels like an improvement to me.)

1 Like

Agreed! I was a bit surprised because the same publisher Gakken has another book series なぜ?どうして?かがくのお話 in which there are cute drawings but they are on the sides of the pages or they take a whole page and one can access the most of the text.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess they recently changed that. I once looked at a different book from the same series and it was the same as you described for なぜ?どうして? but I found it very hard to comprehend what goes where. There’s no perfect world, I’m afraid :woman_shrugging:

For なぜ?どうして?科学のお話2年生, I had a digital copy and it was a pain sticking to the reading schedule since I had to check where the next page ended every day so I didn’t get ahead of everyone else. It didn’t actually help me with looking anything up either since copying and pasting was so cumbersome in iBooks that it just made more sense to transcribe it.

I’ve got a physical copy for this club and that’s probably worked best for me. Not as easy as just ordering a digital copy though.

I had the same disappointment with わんわん探偵団1. I went through terrible pain of getting Amazon.jp allowing me to register and buy Kindle version just to realise that pages are just pictures. I think the reader levels are simple enough to read a page a day and lookup words manually or using vocabulary lists. Don’t make this discourage you.

1 Like

Hello friends :wave: I have bought this book’s physical version long before this book club started in preparation for taking this amazing journey with you, but I have reeeeeeeeally fallen behind in my schedule at this point. So this is my attempt of starting fresh and staying up to date as we start this new chapter. Here I go!

Page 44

「 だめ、だめ。そんな ひき(かた)じゃ、だめだ。」

I could not piece together the meaning of ひきかたじゃ. What is the meaning of ひき here? I found it could be a suffix for a player of an instrument, but I guess it does not fit here grammatically. Also, is the じゃ just a contraction of じゃありません?

I translated the whole sentence as: Not good, not good. Not this way of playing, (it) is worthless.

(いま)から およそ 二百五十年前(にひゃくごじゅうねんまえ) ドイツの (まち)、ボン。

How is the first の after the 二百五十年前(にひゃくごじゅうねんまえ) working here? My guess is that it is working as a classifier for ドイツの(まち), but I don’t get how “250 years ago” would classify a town, and I was expecting to see a に in its place..

My translation: Approximately 250 years ago from now, in a German town, Bonn.

That’s it for this today. I intend to post daily here as I struggle through the pages, as a way to engage more with this wonderful community and keep myself motivated. So please if you feel that I’m abusing of your kindness, please let me know!

7 Likes

Hey, great that you are joining us and don’t hesitate to ask questions. :v:

I think you are a bit early with questions for p. 44, you might want to check the schedule at the top.

ひき方: You can combine the verb stem with 方 to talk about the way of doing an action, just like you translated it. So ひき here seems to be the stem from ひきます.

じゃ is a contraction of では. Maybe you know that you can use the te-form and the particle は in combination with だめ to express that something cannot be done. This is exactly what happens here, but there is a noun instead of a verb.

Just like you said, the time modifies the town (or Germany). I guess it’s not unusual to use time expressions this way.

5 Likes

Same as in English: for example “18th century London”.

6 Likes

Life got in the way during chapter 2 but will re-join the discussion tomorrow, look forward to reading again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, I’m sorry, completely missed the schedule at the top, I’ll be more mindful about that in the future. Thanks for addressing the questions though, it really helped – as you can see, they can be quite beginner :sweat_smile:

Yes, that makes a lot of sense! I think I was put off by the relative time expression of “250 years ago”… Thanks!

2 Likes
p. 44

ポロロン、ポロン、ポロロロン……。
Pororon, poron, porororon …
「だめ、だめ。そんな引き方じゃ、だめだ。」
“No, no. That way of playing is no good.”
薄暗い屋根裏部屋から、ピアノの音色と、お父さんの怒鳴り声が響いてきます。
From the dim attic comes the sound of the piano and the angry voice of the father.
今からおよそ二百五十年前の、ドイツの町、ボン。
About 250 years ago, in the German town of Bonn.
五歳の男の子、ルートビッヒ・バン・ベートーベンがお父さんにピアノを教えてもらっています。
The five-year-old boy Ludwig van Beethoven is being taught by his father to play the piano.

3 Likes
my translation

Strumming sounds …
„No, no. You can’t play like that.“ From a gloomy attic the sounds of a piano and the angry voice of a father can be heard. Today about 250 years ago in the German town of Bonn. A five-year-old boy, Ludwig van Beethoven, is being taught how to play the piano by his father.

4 Likes

Not for the first time reading a German word in katakana makes me realise I’ve always pronounced it wrong! (The last one was ダックスフンド in Doggy Detectives).

Well, the katakana pronunciation generally is about as correct for German words as it is for English ones…

:rofl:

5 Likes

Yes! In reading, I always stumble on katakana words. Only after three or more attempts in saying it out loud I manage to get it…

1 Like