10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 2 (半日村)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

Welcome to the thread for the second Story named 半日村 from the book 10分で読める物語 二年生!

Start Date: 01.09.2019

Previous thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 1 (きつねのしゃしん)

Next thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 3 (さるじぞう)

Reading schedule:

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events on the current page and any content in future pages.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I will join a future story

0 voters

I didn’t participate too much in the last thread, so I’ll make up for it by going first. This first page was pretty difficult for me, so I expect a lot of errors.

うう、さみさみ。

Pretty much no clue here.

これから、半日村の話をしようと思うんだが、そう思っただけでみぶるいが出る。

I will try to remember the story of Hannichi village, but thinking only a little about it makes me shudder

その村は、えらくさむい村なんだ。

The village is extremely cold.

半日しか日が当たらないんだからな。

The sun doesn’t shine on the village. (The しか… んだから I’m a bit lost on)

1 Like

I have read it and I’am also pretty lost :rofl:

Me too, the sentence above the picture caught me up for a while but here goes…
Page 21.
長い 時間を かけて、力を 合わせて 半日村を かえた 、一平 と 村人たちの 話A tale of Ippei and the villagers, who joined forces and took a long time and changed the Half Day Village

Parts that confused me

を Particle is used three times here:
時間を (long time)
4. indicates time (period) over which action takes place​
力を (to put together forces)
半日村を (to change…)

1. indicates direct object of action

Also, the lack of kanji leaves me wondering about かけて (掛ける to spend or 欠ける to be missing) and かえた (帰る to return or 変える to change or 換える to replace). I could make up a reasonable sentence with these combinations given that there is no context yet.

半日村 The Half Day Village

うう、さみさみ 。これから 、半日村の 話を しようと 思うんだが、そう 思っただけ で みぶるい が 出る 。 Uh, Sami.
From here on, I want to talk to you about the Half Day Village, (but) just thinking about such things makes be tremble (with fear or cold).

その 村は、えらく さむい 村なんだ。 That village is extremely cold.

なにしろ 、半日しか 日が 当たらない んだから な

For you see, the sun only hits it for half a day.

Summary

(なにしろ) 何しろ Adverb

1. at any rate; anyhow; anyway; in any case; because; as you know; for you see​

しか Particle 1. only; nothing but​ used with neg. verb (see below)

当たらない > んだ > から > な
**inflection of 当たる, with these forms:

• Nai-form. It indicates the negative form of the verb.
    んだ (see のだ in first story)
    から 3. because; since ​follows verbs, adjectives
    な Particle 1. don’t ​prohibitive; used with dictionary form verb
    I do not understand the part about using it with the dictionary form of the verb though
3 Likes

Ahh.
半日しか

I was thinking 半日 was referencing the name of the village still, no wonder then sentence was confusing.

1 Like

Yeah I was unsure if it was the name of the village, but settled for its meaning.

Page 22
なぜ 、半日しか 日が 当たらないの かって ? Why does the sun only hit it for half a day?

Question

の how is this being used?? nominalizing or as a question

かって; indicates a satirical or rhetorical question

そりゃ 、後ろに 高い 山が あるからさ 。 That is because there is a tall mountain behind it.

Summary

そりゃ Expression 2. that is​
e.x. そりゃべんり便利だね。That comes in handy.

さ Particle 2. indicates assertion​ sentence end, mainly masc

朝、お日さまが 東から 出たって 、山が 高くって 顔を 出せないんだ。 In the morning, when the Sun leaves the east, the mountains are so tall; its face cannot be detected.

Question

お日さま Noun 1. the Sun​ (Children’s language)
出たって need explanation for form of verb

お昼ごろに なって、ようやく 高く のぼった 日が、山の てっぺん から 顔を 出すと、村には ぱっと 光がさす 。 Around noon when it finally succeeds in climbing high, the sun comes out from the face of the mountain top and suddenly shines light on the village.

Summary

ようやく finally
てっぺん summit, peak
ぱっと

1. suddenly; in a flash; rapidly; nimbly; alertly​ Onomatopoeic or mimetic word 2. attractive; distinguished; showy; catching​

そう すると 、村は いっぺん で 目が さめる 。
鳥は 歌いだすし 、花は わらいだすし 、こどもたちは さわぎ はじめる 。

So, thereupon, all at once the village wakes up. Birds sing, flowers laugh? and children begin to make a racket.

Questions

目を覚ます Is this the same verb as in the text??? Expression, Godan verb with su ending 1. to wake up​

わらいだすし burst into laughter??? ** seems strange for a flower to laugh; euphemism for bloom/blossom**

さわぎ はじめる (騒ぐ) begin to make merry

2 Likes

What exactly bothers you?

I am confused as well.
って has a definition for “if” , so maybe that us giving us the “when”?

出て would be the -te form of 出る I think. Unless it is supposed to be - たって meaning “even though” the sun leaves the east…

The Conjunctive Particle たって

Could it be 出たて, 出立て in the て Form?

Meaning right after coming out

Edit: I don’t know what I’m saying… maybe I can summon @Leebo

1 Like

I asked around, and it appears to be children’s language. Kids often simplify things and use the same ways of phrasing something for multiple meanings.

The “translation” to normal adult Japanese I heard was

朝、お日さまが 東から 出ても 、山が 高いから、顔を 出せないんだ。

So this って is something children use, and it’s versatile.

4 Likes

I think that the な at the end of 当たらないんだからな is not the “don’t prohibitive” but is the kind of casual emphasis sentence-ender な, like saying “you know”.

For reference, the な as a prohibitive form is what you would say if you were a parent talking to a child (for example don’t eat that! = 食べるな!) or an emergency situation (don’t go there! = いるな) It’s very very commanding so it can be rude to use it with your seniors. To use it, just add "な” to the dictionary form of the verb (to answer your question about using it with the dictionary form).

1 Like

Is it really just children’s language? Isn’t it this grammar point?

I do usually just treat たって as if it were ても, regardless of the origin.

@emucat thanks for the creative effort and the summoning
@Leebo children’s language makes sense; I did not even realize it was also used with the adjective; since I have not studied adjectives much, I just skipped over the part after the kanji hoping to get the basic understanding. Do you think the translation is correct? It seems clumsy.
@rawrdinosaur your explanation cleared up both points nicely; I should have realized it was not the prohibitive form based on the verb
@seanblue your point is along the lines of what I linked earlier; how does it work with the adjective though in terms of translation?

1 Like

That wouldn’t really explain 高くって to me… But maybe it was a mistranscription. I was looking at the question as “how can both って be explained.” If it was just about 出たって it would be simpler, yeah.

Are we ready for page 23? It had a lot of words, but we can do it!!

I can’t explain the adjective part, but it still seems like a reasonable explanation for the verb. It could still be children’s language for the adjective I suppose.

Page 23.
なにより うれしそう なのは?、田んぼ の いねだ。 The rice fields seem to be the most happy.

やっと あたたかい 光を からだいっぱいに あびて 、うれしそうに さやさやと 葉っぱ を 鳴(な)らした 、元気に 田んぼの 水を すいあげはじめる 。 At last, it is flooded full of warm light, the leaves rustle with delight and chime as they began to energetically suck up the rice field’s water.
でも、だめ だ。 but , it is in vain.
すぐ 夕方 が きて、夕方に なると、半日村の 前に ある みずうみ から、さむい さむい 風が、ぴゅウう ぴゅウうと ふいて くる。

Before long, evening arrives, when it becomes evening, a cold, cold howly wind blows back from the lake located in front of the Half Day Village.

風が ふきはじめて みずうみに、どびどび 、どびどび なみが 立ちはじめると、鳥も 歌を やめ、花も わらうのを やめ、こどもたちも さわぐのを やめて、うちへ 帰っちまう。 When the wind begins to blow steadily and waves begin to rise in the lake, the birds stop singing, the flowers stop laughing and the children stop making merry and go home together.

4 Likes

Haven’t been able to find what どびどび on page 23 is exactly, I’m guessing it is an onomatopoeic word that has something to do with the waves on the water of the lake the wind causes.