• 「さっさと 帰りなせい」。 Translation Go home quickly.
さっさとAdverb quickly Synonyms 速(はや) く
帰り帰るGodan verb with ru ending, intransitive verb
- to return; to come home; to go home; to go back
- don’t prohibitive; used with dictionary form verb
- do imperative; used with masu stem verb
ESSENTIAL GRAMMAR 4.15.4 Using「〜なさい」to make firm but polite requests
「なさい」is a special honorific conjugation of「する」. It is a soft yet firm way of issuing a command. Itis used, for example, when a mother is scolding her child or when a teacher wants a delinquent student to pay attention. Unlike「ください」,「なさい」only applies to positive verbs and uses the stem of the verb instead of the te-form. It also cannot be used by itself but must be attached to another verb.**
たずねで きたのは、山野さんと いう、まだ わかい 新聞記者でした
Translation Yamano-san, the man who arrived to ask, said he was still a young (junior) news reporter.
たずねて inflection of たずねる, with Te-form. It is a connective form of the verb.訪ねる to visit; to call on; to pay a visit to OR 尋ねる 1. to ask; to enquire; to inquire 2. to search; to look for; to look into; to investigate
· きた · の · は the act of arriving
- きた inflection of くる(来る) Ta-form. It indicates the past tense of the verb. to come (spatially or temporally); to approach; to arrive
の は function of の is combining it with other particles to allow verb phrases to go where other parts of speech such as objects or subjects would usually go.
Nominalization: use of a word which is not a noun as a noun, or as the head of a noun phrase, 、
· やまの 山野 · さん name Mr. Yamano
· と4. particle used for quoting (with speech, thoughts, etc.) いう
· まだ Adverb 1. still; as yet; hitherto; only Usually written using kana alone
· わか 若い1. young; youthful 2. immature; green
· しんぶんきしゃ 新聞記者 newspaper reporter
· でした inflection of です, with Ta-form. It indicates the past tense of the verb.
山野さんは、いっじょうけんめいに 言ました。Translation Yamano-san declared vigorously.
いっしょうけんめい (一生懸命) Na-adjective, Adverbial noun, Noun
- very hard; with utmost effort; with all one’s might; for dear life
「今度の 日曜ばんに、きつねの とくじょうを やるんです。それで、この ごんぎ山には きつねが いる と いう ことですので。。。、その 写真を と 思いまして。」
Translation I will do a special feature on the fox this Sunday evening. Since it is said that foxes are on this mountain…、I thought of taking that snapshot.
· 今度 this time; next time; recently· の· 日曜 Sunday · ばん (晩) evening
· とくじょう (特集) feature (e.g. newspaper); special edition; report
. やる 1. to do; to undertake; to perform Usually written using kana alone,
· ん · です meaning "it is, The phrase has an explanatory or confirmatory function. can be translated as “it is the case that” or “it is for the reason that.” However, there is no true English equivalent.
どうして病院にくんですか。 Why are you going to the hospital?
母が病気なんです。Because my mother is sick.
· それで Conjunction 1. and; thereupon; because of that Usually written using kana alone
· いる 居る1. to be (of animate objects); to exist
· ので Particle1. that being the case; because of …; the reason is …; given that …
Genki Ch 12 Sentence 1 (Reasen) + ので + Sentence 2 (Result)
ので highlights a cause-and-effect relationship as a natural course of events.
As the use of ので (node) softens the view of the speaker and sounds more polite, it’s often used when you are gently expressing a reason, when asking for permission or when making an excuse.
|だ → ～な )
|だ → ～な )
思いまして inflection of 思う, with Masu-form. It is the polite form of the verb.
- to think; to consider; to believe; to reckon
- to think (of doing); to plan (to do)
- to judge; to assess; to regard
- to imagine; to suppose; to dream
そこまで 聞くと、まつぞうじいさんの 目に、なみだが きらりと 光りました。Translation When he heard that, a tear shimmered in the lumberjack’s eye.
そこ there (place just mentioned) 3. then (of some incident just spoken of); that (of point just raised)
まで Particle 1. until (a time); till; to; up to Usually written using kana alone
聞く 1. to hear2. to listen (e.g. to music) 4. to learn of; to hear about5. to follow (advice); to comply with
目 1. eye2. eyesight; 4. notice; attention; observation
なみだ (涙) 1. tear; tears; lachrymal secretion 2. sympathy
きらりと Adverb taking the ‘to’ particle 1. with a momentary flash of light Onomatopoeic or mimetic word
光りました inflection of 光る, with Masu-form. It is the polite form of the verb. Ta-form. It indicates the past tense of the verb. 1. to shine; to glitter; to be bright
いねえ、いねえ。ごんざ山の きつねは いねえ。 Translation No, no, there are no foxes on the mountain.