10分で読める物語 二年生 Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

So this will be my first foreign language book club and already I have questions:
If we do it by pages and a sentence goes to the next page, do we finish the sentence and stop or finish the whole next page?
Are we translating the illustration captions?
I was kinda planning to “show my work” for the first couple of pages depending on time constraints. I have not really seen this done in the other clubs but think it would be cool for absolute beginners to parse through the grammar rather than read other folk’s translations. What do you all think? Do you prefer to use the Google doc instead?

1 Like

I never thought about that… we’re pretty loose/open to anything so I’m sure if its reasonable one or two words on one page we can just stop before. I don’t see why not translate the illustration captions, I would like that too. Feel free to throw out everything you have here, since all stories will be broken up into different threads anyways, I’m sure others would appreciate your own notes! I’ll probably make my own personal notes now that you mention it… would probably help solidifying what I read (although I would be doing on an actual notebook).

1 Like

What we have done before is to finish the sentence that started in the current page, even if it goes to the next page.

Also, we usually posted a transcript of the page with a “translation” and then we commented/fix it.

Kind of what we have done with the preface a few posts up

2 Likes

Well, it isn’t always done in AB々C. チー didn’t get that treatment (beyond one person fully translating like chapter 1 and 2, and possibly 3). But I understand it was done for both Shirokuma and the Naze book, although I wasn’t there for that and I think you were, so you’d know better. XD

Since I still didn‘t found an answer in the thread of the manga, here‘s a little poll.

Let‘s start this up at

• 10th of august
  • 17th of august

0 voters

You have two days to Poll ^^

And another Poll

Should we have a small break between stories?

• No breaks needed
  • 1 day is fine
  • 2 days would be nice

0 voters

I see we are jumping into the second grade ten minute stories book, but has anyone read the first grade one, 10分で読める物語 一年生? I’m thinking about ordering this one too and would like some feedback on it.
AC_UL320

I didn’t know about it, but it’s possible it’s more difficult than the 2nd grader as it will have even less kanjis :wink:

5 Likes

Nothing to stop you having your own start date, but Micki settled on the 10th of August start date for the manga, which is now the advertised start date on the ABC thread (though it hasn’t been added to the OP of the manga).

This is what I’m worried about.

Edit: Seems to be the case, but… they do add spaces between words/particles. Here are some sample pages I found.

Double Edit: Replaced the page from seconds grade, since the first one I uploaded was from the much more complicated preface. Good catch @emucat. The difference doesn’t seem that significant anymore…

First Grade

Second Grade
SecondGrade

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for my book to arrive, so I voted for the later start date. But if we start on the 10th I’ll just follow along as best I can.

I did the same for the same reason :slight_smile::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That second grade page is part of the preface. The regular stories pages look like the First Grader page

2 Likes

The 17th is winning??? What the…

At 1 page per day it will take quite a lot of time to read all the stories, more if we add a 1 day break between them…

1 Like

:man_shrugging: Well, if most want the 17th i think we should choose the 17th to start. But i would use the week to do some preparations :thinking:

I think a 1 day break will be no big deal. Since the book has a lot of pages, it will take some time either way

1 Like

Let me create some bots to alter the elections, I mean poll…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You wouldn‘t do that, would ya? :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m trying to read too many things at once. The slower the better. :crazy_face:

1 Like

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve started on my own. Based on the time it has taken me, a head start won’t hurt.

Oh oh, now we‘ve got a tie :see_no_evil: I will close the poll in 4 hours. If it‘s a tie we will start on the 13th of august.

3 Likes