涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread

Chapter 4 (1/2)

Suzumiya

Start Date: August 31st
Previous Thread:Week 9
Next Thread: Week 11

Week 10 Reading: Chapter 4 (1/2)
p.153 (まだやるつもりかよ。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud Sessions

Right now we have two teams reading at different times.
Team West - Saturdays @various times (see spreadsheet)
Team Japan - TBD

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

Three weeks behind and counting! :partying_face:

2 Likes

I-Is this your secret? Do I need to do that too if I want to make some progress on ReZero?

It’s the only hope I have of finishing it before volume 2! :joy:

... it might be.

I put Haruhi on hold when I (re)started ReZero. Konbini I’d read that week’s part before then, managed to read the next week and am going to read last week’s before the read aloud meeting in 2 days.

So, except for 10 pages of Konbini, I’ve been reading only ReZero, yes.

I’ll catch up on Haruhi next week after I finish ReZero and finish this week’s Konbini. At least that’s the plan. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well, I just sat down and read the whole of chapter 3 to catch up… Took me about 4 hours? Quite fast for my level… though I’m unsure whether that’s because I read faster or care less. :woman_shrugging:

I’ve been guilty of reading other stuff as well… and none of that was even in Japanese. :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Nothing bad. More plot. Coincidentally a grammar point and a few words I just learned before reading.

3 Likes

That’s a relief :smile: I was hesitating to start reading.

Yeah, that. My Haruhi reading speed (before the break) had gotten faster too, and I’m pretty sure it’s not just that I got used to the writing style.

2 Likes

Finaly had time to read. This week was nice indeed.
OKAY, guessing time (again, I’m just talking to myself, I do not want hints or anything).
I’m going to tag @AnimeCanuck as well just because

thinking about キョン; industrial grade spoilers

Alright, assuming each member is a different type of weird thing, キョン cannot be from the future since the spot is now claimed. Also, it’s interesting to note that the first two reveals are in the order listed in the introduction. So maybe the next one will be a ghost?
Anyway, I still find strange that キョン just does whatever ハルヒ says without arguing. Plus, that’s now two people telling us he has been chosen by her.
I’m starting to think that キョン has a severe case of Tomato In The Mirror, or even uses unreliable narration to pull a Tomato Surprise. I still feel like his nickname and his answers outside narration are hints. It could also very well be that whatever he is isn’t in the list on purpose.
Anyway, whatever I can think of right now can be easily debunked by interactions he had with other people.

5 Likes

Another great part! I guess there’s Koizumi left to look forward to. I’m kinda interested in him the most.

4 Likes

Thank you for the tag!
*gets to reading - your theory, that is*

To Naph, no spoilers - but people who didn't read Naph's details shouldn't read this... probably?

Hmm… I hadn’t heard of that before - had to click your link to TV Tropes. TOTALLY seen it a lot, but never heard it called that. All I’ll say on the subject. Also not sure which one of those (many variations of options) you’re really considering for Kyon. So I’ll assume all of them.

1 Like

Does anyone else think it’s funny that Asahina’s explanation of time travel is basically Endgame’s? Or what I remember of it anyway.

As in, Avengers: Endgame? Their explanation was “it’s quantum”, not “it’s classified”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t know what Endgame is. For a second I thought you meant Ender’s game, but based on Balthazar’s answer, that’s not the case. :sweat_smile:

I meant the part about time not being continuous, so things in the past don’t affect the present.
Granted they seemed to immediately break that premise because bleh that movie

there are people not following the MCU?

1 Like

Oh, quite. I enjoyed that movie overall, but I was honestly disappointed by the whole second act, and the whole way they set up time travel as “it’s quantum! there are no rules” and then proceeded to break those rules anyway… rather left a bit of a bad taste.

1 Like

The what? :sweat_smile:
In most cases, one can safely assume I live under a rock.

4 Likes

Marvel Cinematic Universe, apparently…

Don’t worry, I also don’t watch these movies (or any movies at all) so you’re not alone :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s true that there are no fox girls.

2 Likes

Then it’s really not worth watching, is it? And I won’t tell her you called her a fox.

2 Likes