🦜サバイバル・ゲーム! Survival Escape Game 🦜 Book club [next adventure starting ~mid-July]

Sorry for being late! Voted now!

3 Likes

I usually spend like 1 to 2 hours per day reading Japanese, so I built up quite some stamina! But if it helps, I (or someone else who is into it) can try to include a summary of what those boxes say, so it’s easier to get through them. :blush:

2 Likes

Ahh this is so kind of you to offer!! I think we may all find it super helpful, but since it doesn’t play a huge role in the story, I wouldn’t want you to worry too much.

If it doesn’t require a lot of effort, and also helps with your reading/study goals, then I’m not gonna say no!!

If not, that’s totally fine. I think we can all just ask our doubts here as and when we need help :purple_heart:

2 Likes

no apologies needed! You weren’t late!

I didn’t see you on the joining list, so I just wanted to ping you, but maybe I shouldn’t do that, as I don’t want anyone to feel rushed, we gotta keep this fun :slight_smile:

I’ll always wait a full week for everyone, and everyone please, feel free to take it whenever needed!

So there’s a good stable group of 5 of us who have made it through the first 3 stages. Maybe we can see how the next couple of stages go and then run a poll if we want a more fixed schedule, like a set day to close the decision poll per stage, or if you like the current system where I put up the next stage as fast as the whole group goes.

Speaking of… time for a new stage now that all votes are in!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to Stage D of :palm_tree: :coconut: サバイバル・ゲーム! :coconut: :palm_tree:

<< Previous Stage

Staring down a ジャガー …and no option to attempt a friendly cuddle, we all felt like it was better to suppress the 逃げる feelings and attempt 動かない. Head to scene :one::nine: :exclamation:

Participation

Stage is open for a week until April 1st, so try to get votes in by end of play Sunday March 31st!

Are you joining Stage D?
  • I’m joining live, reading along - see you at the decision point!
  • I will catch up later - don’t wait for me
  • I’m exploring solo - don’t wait for me
  • I’m watching :eyes:
0 voters

Stage D decision poll

Where should we go next?
  • Go to scene 25
  • Go to scene 27
  • Go to scene 29
0 voters

Next stage >>

2 Likes

I’ll have to check the options when I get home to be sure but I feel like we won’t be unanimous this stage. With three options there’s no way to know what we’ll choose. Nothing stands out as something that’ll immediately go bad.

decision

My main concern this time would be avoiding the river for getting water, since we don’t have a good way to filter it the water might not be clean and that could make us sick, plus the river might have piranhas in it for all we know.

I think the other two options would be about the same level of risk as each other? Better than the river though. One was gathering water from the roots of a tree and the other one I forget what exactly it was. But since I can’t remember which number was which right now I’ll vote later tonight

4 Likes

Oh right, I was going to say about the ジャガー choice we just made, we need to emulate shinji. we mustn’t run away

4 Likes

Now that I’m home and checked the choices properly, let’s decide!

decisive

The two choices I couldn’t remember well were to check for water in bamboo branches (does bamboo grow in the Amazon?) or to look in the roots of trees. I think the water in the bamboo would be rainwater and the water in the roots of a tree would be the cleanest since it’s been filtered up into the tree some.
I assume we’re trying to drink from the inside of the root and not just out of a puddle near the roots. If it’s a puddle near the roots I’d prefer the bamboo option but if we had a way to cut the roots and try drinking from the inside of the roots I guess that’s good.
I’ll vote for the tree root for now but let’s see what happens.

3 Likes

If you go a page further there are some explanations about collecting water, but I am not sure if those are supposed to be read together with the decision or afterwards? :thinking:

2 Likes

I must be missing something here! Please share :japanese_ogre:

decisions

I was wondering exactly the same thing! I’m gonna have to look that up tonight unless someone beats me to it.

That is interesting and sounds good if your assumption about cutting it from the roots is correct.

I read it as tree stump, and was imagining water collected in a dead tree stump. But that doesn’t quite make sense because we’re in the middle of nowhere, and stumps are more a human-made thing. So I’m not sure what that is, I’ll reread that again tonight.

I’m leaning toward the bamboo water, hoping it might be higher/fresher. But we don’t have to be unanimous! And maybe that goes nowhere, perhaps it’s a trick question for the Japanese edition to teach them there is no bamboo in the Amazon and we waste time wandering around looking for it, lol.

In addition to your contamination concerns, I’m also a bit suspicious about what’s lurking in the water… :snake:

Thanks! I wouldn’t have noticed! No idea… I’ll have a read tonight and see if it affects my choice

2 Likes

Finally received it \o/
I wasn’t expecting a small format like that :open_mouth:

I’ll join you as soon as I figure how the reading is organized ^^

3 Likes
decision

I went for the bamboo water option!

Water from the pond (or was it a lake?) does not sound safe to me, and animals may be lingering around.

Water from the tree roots does sound tempting, but if I were lost in a forest, I would have no idea how to extract water from the tree, or which tree to pick. It probably also requires a lot of physical stamina to beat the water out of the roots. I honestly have no idea how this works or if it’s safe to consume lol

I’ve heard about people drinking water directly from bamboo and that the bamboo can filter water? Again, not very sure. With the bamboo water, we could maybe go to the place and check out if it looks fresh and then decide :thinking:

1 Like

Yay you’re in for a treat!

After the intro/ the beginning of the book, instead of page numbers there are scenes. In the vocab spreadsheet we’re labeling them like 2-3 means scene 2 page 3, you’ll get the hang of it really fast. We’re calling each section we read up to a decision: a stage. At the start there are quite a few pages to read, but after that it’s just 2-3 per stage. So read the home post sections from “discussion” and then follow the party guide, which tells you which scenes to read. And links to the start of the discussion! Feel free to ask if you have questions!

1 Like

How many of these books do I need to order?

1 Like

I personally just ordered the first one and was waiting to see how I liked it. I really do like it, so I’ll order at least another one or two and see if there is interest to continue the club when we get that far (but we only just started, so it’s a bit early for that discussion).

There are six books total and some people have already ordered all six!

So, it really depends on how hard/expensive it is for you to get paper books in Japanese, and if you want to try one before ordering the rest, or take a chance on it and order the whole series. I hope that helps!

3 Likes

Bamboo grows in the Amazon, wow, the things you learn reading children’s books…

3 Likes

Shinji is the main character for neon genesis evangelion. Pilots a giant “robot” but is frequently very anxious and depressed about the whole thing (ymmv on how much of this makes sense but he’s usually having a bad time when piloting the robot). So sometimes he tells himself that he must not run away from piloting the robot.

2 Likes

Welcome to Stage E of :palm_tree: :coconut: サバイバル・ゲーム! :coconut: :palm_tree:

<< Previous Stage

We survived our second wildlife encounter! Let’s get drink- Head to scene :two::five::exclamation:

Participation

Stage is open for a week until April 4th, so try to get votes in by end of play Wednesday April 3rd!!

Are you joining Stage E?
  • I’m joining live, reading along - see you at the decision point!
  • I will catch up later - don’t wait for me
  • I’m exploring solo - don’t wait for me
  • I’m watching :eyes:
0 voters

Stage E decision poll

Where should we go next?
  • Go to scene 37
  • Go to scene 42
0 voters

Next stage >>

2 Likes

I’ve updated the home post so that the link to the next decision poll is always right at the top! You can also find all the scene details in the Party Guide section at the bottom of the home post. See you there :sweat_drops::droplet::mango:!

2 Likes

We’re about to be at 100 replies soon. I looked at the choice page and I’m thinking about it, but I didn’t have time to read the whole section yet. So I’ll wait to do decisions until I get home or maybe tomorrow morning. But for now I know it’s a choice. To 食べる or not to 食べる that is the question.

1 Like