🦜サバイバル・ゲーム! Survival Escape Game 🦜 Book club [next adventure starting ~mid-July]

I reread the survival hints in scene 3 and added loads of words to the spreadsheet if that helps anyone! The interesting thing is, even though I added 10 words for the first 2 points (~100 words), it didn’t change my understanding at all! It’s amazing how much can be correctly guessed from context. Also reading the passage a couple times, thinking about it, and doing one more read, helps me remember a lot of words I already know.

decision

This is me, not being able to imagine making it! At first I thought, for sure the cave is more dangerous, but after reading the survival hints again, maybe the dampness point is actually really important? Or both options are fine, lol

2 Likes

Welcome to Stage B of :palm_tree: :coconut: サバイバル・ゲーム! Book Club :coconut: :palm_tree:

<< Previous stage

The votes are in, and we are about to find out whether democratic decisions will lead to survival or…

Everyone, take a deep breath and… どうくつへ行ってみるなら :five: へすすもう:exclamation:

Participation

Are you joining Stage B?
  • I’m joining live, reading along - see you at the decision point!
  • I will catch up later - don’t wait for me
  • I’m exploring solo - don’t wait for me
  • I’m watching :eyes:
0 voters
Where should we go next?
  • Go to scene 13
  • Go to scene 15
0 voters

Next Stage >>

3 Likes
Decisions

nooo I dislike both options :laughing:
But walking around in those conditions seems like an even worse option.

But there can’t be two caves that are full of dangerous animals, right?! :smiley: Obviously they all settled down in that other cave, so this one is probably awesome :laughing:

2 Likes
Scene 5

:joy::rofl: I had not read ahead I swear. I Laughed so hard after I wrote that and read the next scene

decisions

Me too!
This feels like a prelude to 2 choices that are both doomed, oh no! So I’m wondering, do we own the cave choice and go for round 2 or risk injury and predators wandering around the wet jungle at night? There must be a reason humans aren’t nocturnal…

That’s the spirit!

2 Likes

@prath don’t forget to vote!

I’ll post Stage C tomorrow (Sunday) morning (cet) everyone!

2 Likes
decision

I am once again choosing to into the dangerous cave because the alternative is somehow worse. Again. Let’s walk in the rain sounds terrible so the other cave it is.

3 Likes

I took a little while to read this week’s section because I saw that we went from 4 at the end of last stage to a choice between 13 and 15 now at the end of stage B so I thought it would be more to read but because it’s not all linear it still just skipped a lot of the numbered points in between.
I was worried about nothing.

I am curious if each bad end happens quickly after a wrong choice or if we can get locked into a longer route where every choice gets us game overed. I could do a flow chart to check but then I’d know which choices are good and bad already.

3 Likes

eeep thanks for the reminder!! i couldn’t find the poll for a while :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry I forgot to tag you as well, glad you made it! Here’s a useful tidbit, I estimated based on the number of scenes, total pages, and the way that the decisions work, we’ll probably never have that much more to read than you’ve seen for this section. It would only get more if we reach a dead end and go back, but that only extends it by a few pages.

Me too! I was thinking of doing that at the end not to spoil it just in case they intertwine

I should have mentioned, in the home thread at the bottom I keep updated links to all stage polls, so at any time go there and click on the last one!

Decisions

Totally my thought :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to Stage C of :palm_tree: :coconut: サバイバル・ゲーム! Book Club :coconut: :palm_tree:

<< Previous Stage

The party has overcome significant hardship, but we’re still together, and unanimous in our next move. Brace yourselves, we’re going for … どうくつ #2. Head to scene :one::three: :exclamation:

Participation

Are you joining Stage C?
  • I’m joining live, reading along - see you at the decision point!
  • I will catch up later - don’t wait for me
  • I’m exploring solo - don’t wait for me
  • I’m watching :eyes:
0 voters
Where should we go next?
  • Go to scene 17
  • Go to scene 19
0 voters

Next Stage >>

2 Likes

Despite voting that I won’t add vocab to the sheet I did add something almost every week so far. This week I had a few issues with very long hiragana constructions of words attached to each other, so I hope I identified the words correctly :sweat_smile: feel free to fix possible mistakes!

Decision

uhhhhm I think running away would just trigger their hunting instinct! So I would definitely not run away!!

2 Likes

Thanks! They were useful for me! I added some more.

Thoughts on these scenes

Love how atmospheric it is. Favourite fragment 夜明けのうす緑色の光に照らされた木かげをのぞきこむ

And overall, the way it describes something, and then you find out what it is. I find that saves a lot of dictionary lookups and is really pleasant to read as a learner!

decision

Am also thinking freeze response! I’m also slightly worried about that water proof jacket we left behind. I mean this is life or death, but if we survive I hope we go back for the jacket :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Stage C decision page poll is live here. And you can always find the link in the Party section at the bottom of the home post

Vote by end of next Saturday (30th)!

2 Likes

Oh man, we went backwards. I guess that’ll happen more over time.

decision making

So a jaguar is pretty fast and running doesn’t seem like the most bueno kind of option for us.
Even an older jaguar like an xke is pretty fast in a race against someone on foot :leopard:
IMG_4947

I’m surprised there’s no option to befriend the jaguar by petting it, they even said it’s like a big cat. Maybe it’ll play with its food (us) before it eats.

4 Likes
decision

Nice, I like the befriending option. @SpiderWeb
Like this: ?

https://youtu.be/UY5Ts3p6ZMI?si=gd5sc_Vg4QlNxeJk

The intro wasn’t kidding, the background sound is intense

And thanks to those of you joining to watch! :eyes:

4 Likes

I didn’t look too far ahead, but since I had some free time today on a Sunday, I did look and try to chart out the course we did so far as a flow chart. I won’t keep up with it every week but I might add to it if there’s some interest in mapping the choices that we’ve made so far. It does spoil this weeks choice since I read ahead a little bit. It likely won’t affect voting since it looks like we’re mostly decided on one choice.

flow chart

Grey circles are neutral, they just go forward (or in some cases backwards) to the next thing
Yellow circles are for hint pages, I wasn’t sure about how to include them since there’s usually not a go to them prompt, they’re just near some choices as extra info.
Blue circles are decision points
There’s one red circle on here, those are for bad ends
Because of each circle being the same size I started to run some circles into each other and there’s probably ways to clean this up if I wanted to work on it more but this is all I’m doing on it for now.

3 Likes
decision

Yess I thought so too!

bwhaha omg I would’ve loved a Mowgli-theme twist

I have a somewhat random question - do you all read the informative boxes in between scenes, like the tips to make a tent, or information about Japanese bats and so on?

When I read these, I take soooo much time to catch up, so I prefer to read the boxes during weekends or whenever I find time now and then.

2 Likes

Yes I do always read them when they come up!
But I think it would even be ok to skip them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
prath question

umm… I didn’t notice them :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: but looking back I see what you mean! That’s a lot of text! I think because the decision arrow came on the page before it didn’t really register that I should even look at it, lol. So I guess that means it didn’t affect my understanding of the story! But I’ll go back and catch up now :face_with_monocle:

Looks like we’re about ready to go, but I’ll send out a search party for @Otoko68 - join stage C here!

3 Likes

Whaaaa damn, I really admire how meticulous you are (because that’s a lot of information and I’m so impressed :joy:)

Yes, it’s a lot! It’s difficult mostly because the tips sometimes have numbers and really detailed information about a specific animal or thing. But like you mentioned, it doesn’t really affect my understanding of the story either. I think it’s just a fun little box to make the adventure more interactive and interesting!

2 Likes