🐲 極主夫道 • The Way of the Househusband, Book Club Main Page

Looks like we’ve voted to start Volume 7 today! The thread for this volume and the vocab sheet are now up

again, so sorry about being late with book club things recently, I promise I’ll be back to posting things on time, I just had some unexpected obligations come up two weekends in a row :pensive:

4 Likes

And with this week we’ve completed Volume 7! Here’s some polls for Volume 8:

Are you planning to read Volume 8 with the book club?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

When to start Volume 8
  • right away (this Saturday, October 1)
  • take a week break (next Saturday, October 8)

0 voters

2 Likes

While I might be a bit behind currently at chapter 59 I still want to get volume 8 asap.
Looking at the Kinokuniya online store I see that volume 8 has a special edition. So far as I can tell the special edition has a slightly different cover image and comes with a pamphlet(perhaps?).
Bookwalker also has both additions and the price difference makes me believe there is truly additional content being delivered.
Anybody already familiar with the different volume 8 editions?

Edit: Bookwalker does actually offer a description of the pamphlet. クライムキャッチポリキ ユア manga. ~54 pages.

2 Likes

Huh, I didn’t notice there were two editions of volume 8. I just went ahead and got that version to check it out, looks like it has enough substance, and it seems like it would be a lot of fun to read :smiley: Skimming through it, the difficulty looks about the same as the rest of 極主夫道, although of course it’s a different genre (magical girls instead of slice-of-life yakuza)

My main concern with this is that people may have already bought the regular edition, and I wouldn’t want to make them buy the special edition. The price difference on Bookwalker is 594円 vs 891円 btw.

If we do add it to the reading, I’ll likely split the pamphlet into two weeks (since we read about 30 pgs a week right now). And if you own the regular version that could always be a catch-up week (or 2 weeks?).

Or we could just read the standard version, and people with the special edition could read the pamphlet in their own time. If we go that route, you can still feel free to ask questions about it in the Volume 8 thread though! There just wouldn’t be a designated week for reading it

Here’s what a possible schedule including the spinoff would look like. Without the spinoff just take off weeks 6 & 7.

Schedule

I counted the spinoff pages (excluding the cover and end sketches) and it’s 46 pages. So 23 each week.
Note that there’s no page numbers in the spinoff.

Week Start Date Chapter End Page Page Count
Wk 1 October 1 Chapters 64-65 36 34
Wk 2 October 8 Chapters 66-67 66 30
Wk 3 October 15 Chapters 68-69 98 32
Wk 4 October 22 Chapters 70-71 130 32
Wk 5 October 29 Chapter 72+おまけ end of Volume 8 29
Wk 6 November 5 Spinoff (1st half) 23
Wk 7 November 12 Spinoff (2nd half) end of spinoff 23
2 Likes

I’m realizing now I should make a poll for which version to read. I’ll post the Volume 8 page once this has been decided

Which version to read
  • Standard Edition (only main Volume 8 content)
  • Special Edition (Volume 8 + spin-off bonus content)

0 voters

1 Like

So it looks like both options are tied. I’m just going to make the decision that we’re reading the standard edition, but you’re still welcome to discuss and ask questions about the spin-off. We just won’t have a week (or two) dedicated to it. I hope everyone is okay with this.

Now that that’s decided, the Volume 8 page has been posted!

2 Likes

Sorry I’m posting these polls so late in the week! I was out sick for a week so I’ve been trying to catch up in school/work, and this completely slipped my mind.

Are you planning to read Volume 9 with the book club?
  • Yes
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

When to start Volume 9
  • right away (this Saturday, November 5)
  • take a week break (next Saturday, November 12)

0 voters

Volume 9 page + Week 1 polls are up!

1 Like

It’s almost time for Volume 10! This will be the last volume of the club (until Volume 11 comes out). It’s wild to think we only started Volume 1 one year ago, and now we’re on the latest volume.

If anybody wants to take a break for the holidays, please feel free to say so! I added an “other” option to the poll in case anyone wants to start later than the usual “this week or next week” poll options

Finally, I’m so sorry for not being very active in the club lately other than posting polls. I’ve been having a lot of stressful things happening in my life lately, and I’ve been busy with working on finals, so I haven’t had much time for reading or really any Japanese studying. I hope to catch up asap though!

With all that out of the way, it’s POLLs time :sunglasses:

Are you planning to read Volume 10 with the book club?
  • Yes
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

When to start Volume 10
  • right away (this Saturday, December 10)
  • take a week break (next Saturday, December 17)
  • other (please comment)

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m probably going to end up reading the volume all in one day again, and even if I do stick to the weekly readings it doesn’t take very long for me to read, so it doesn’t much matter to me when we start. I’m down for whatever everyone else decides on

3 Likes

We start Volume 10 today! And the schedule will go unchanged (i.e., no break in the middle)

2 Likes

So there is now one more volume for us to read since Volume 11 was released earlier this month!

Are you planning to read Volume 11 with the book club?
  • Yes
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

When to start Volume 11
  • right away (this Saturday, January 21)
  • take a week break (next Saturday, January 28)
  • other (please comment)

0 voters

I’m leaving the “other” in the when to start poll just because we were going to take a break after Volume 10 (since there were no more volumes), so if people think we should still take a longer break after Volume 10, we can.

1 Like

I haven’t even ordered it yet (I’m planning on using it as an excuse to get more books, but which ones?? or do I be responsible and just get it by itself off Manga Republic???) so I dunno at this point when it might get here. Although it’s not as if I can’t easily catch up if I do end up starting late…

Update: Okay I’m getting it off Manga Republic, why in the hell is shipping so expensive on Amazon right now, it never used to be more than the books, no thank you. So yeah no idea yet when it’s expected to get here

2 Likes

Oh whoops, I didn’t even think about the time for a physical copy to arrive :person_facepalming: Maybe we should wait a few weeks then?

I think it depends how many other people put it off until now. If it’s just me, then I don’t mind catching up later. Although right now it looks like there’s one other person who says they might start late

1 Like

Made a trip to my local (U.S.) Kinokuniya a couple weeks ago hoping they’d already have the new volume in stock but no suck luck. I should have inquired when they would come in and/or placed a hold. I found the J-J Dictionary section that day and the excitement of picking out my first physical J-J Jiten pretty much pitched all other thoughts.
Fortunately Kinokuniya is usually a comfortable 45 minute drive. I have to head out there soon for more tea anyway.
Sounds like I might still end up with the book before others but yeah, I’m still two weeks behind on volume 10.
Whenever we decide to start 11 I’ll do my best to be caught up by then.

3 Likes

How do y’all feel about starting end of February (like Feb 25) or beginning of March (March 4)? Would that give enough time for the new volume to arrive?

It’s still pre-shipment, so I dunno when it’ll get here. Should be before the end of February though

1 Like

My copy got here today, so I’m ready to start when everyone else is

2 Likes

I finished volume ten and picked up volume 11 last week so I’m also ready whenever.

2 Likes