🐬 raindrops’ study log & 日本語日記🐬

pop off! :smiley:

2 Likes

12.03.22 :mountain:

• reading w/c 07/03 : 0/3 days !!!
  • bunpro : 27 days
  • genki 2 workbook : 0 days !!!
  • wanikani : 135 days

my first time holidaying since beginning the daily grind a few months back !! managed to keep up my streak (in both WK and bunpro) but felt weird having my WK lessons untouched (reminded me of my early days in WK leaving lessons unlearnt for weeks haha!) - the reviews amount i did was lower (as shown by the lighter blue boxes) tho it didn’t necessarily feel like it bc i was having to do all my reviews in one session a day when i got a free moment as opposed to my usual three sessions or so spread out across the day

in any case, it was interesting and nice adapting my studies to my holiday and not letting it get in the way of my holiday (as it likely would have felt if i had pushed through with all those lessons when they came in!). similarly this is why there was no reading or workbook work during this week as both of those require more time and i didn’t want to be antisocial on holiday ! next week is a new week tho so a new opportunity to begin the streak afresh :star2:

a

3 Likes

downloaded a fun new api hehe

to see how little is burned is humbling and motivating haha still a long way to go !!

3 Likes

got down to 0/0 today but my number of critical condition items is i think the highest its ever been uh oh

2 Likes

not sure if it’s because i took the week holiday which changed my study rhythm or if it’s because the rumours r true and now the vocab i’m learning involves more abstract ideas which makes them harder, but this level is beating me up hahah

2 Likes

a few days since my last update but i’m still studying !

29.03.22 :leaves:

• bunpro : 44 days
  • wanikani : 152 days

I haven’t included reading or genki textbook work above as, following my holiday, i haven’t been doing much of either – i have begun an audio diary to practice speaking tho (today will be my 8th entry!) the sentences are very clunky and basic but it’s definitely good for learning.

like i mentioned in last comment, i’m feeling a little beaten by japanese atm, feeling like i’m just all round BAD at the language haha

but i know from all the lovely comments on this community that ultimately consistency is the key (showing up/putting in the work even just a little bit day by day even when u feel like this) and on that note i’m really proud of my longest ever streak with bunpro right now ! not to mention i hit 150 days in a row doing WK reviews ! i may be doing less stuff but with the stuff i am doing, i’ve kept up the daily habit which is good.

3 Likes

Great idea! A lot of people put time and effort into reading, but personally, the reason why we learn languages is to communicate others, so it’s nice to see someone practicing speaking for a change!

If you aren’t too shy, you should try recording your audio journal on HelloTalk. It’s like Facebook for international exchange so you can write a “moment” and post it for others to see (and give you feedback if you want). The nice thing is you can upload audio if you choose as well.

Maybe it will give you some direction on what to talk about if you’re sharing it with others. One of the hard things to do when learning a language ir asking questions, so that might be a good opportunity to practice and get some responses to practice listening/reading as well. :blush:

2 Likes

thank you for the recommendation! I’ll definitely check out HelloTalk (❁´◡`❁)

totally agree! and it’s all connected, i feel like the better at speaking you get, the more listening skills will improve too! it’s a long road and i feel like a complete beginner again, but hopefully some day i can look back at these early audio diaries and be proud of how far i’ve come!

2 Likes

today has been a nice day for 日本語を勉強!

retook my placement test which i did around november time. first go i got a 44% fitting just into the intermediate boundary (40-80) and this time, having completed the intermediate course, i got 85% which is advanced (80+) ! i’ll be starting the advanced course in june i think! even tho the test is multiple choice and i looked over my notes before doing the test which i’m sure helped with short term memory , i’m happy with the result and it’s validating going forward!

piske-usagi

also a solid reviews session:

one thing that’s a shame is i missed levelling up 3 levels this month by just one day (i should level up tomorrow) so my 3 levels a month streak is broken haha

but hey ho! a level up is still a level up and i’ve been super lucky to have the time to dedicate to WK the last few months as i have. the next month will be super busy so it’s likely i won’t level up 3 levels in april either!

so yeah <3 今日は日本語を単語と文法を覚えて嬉しい!

2 Likes

posting just bc i’m super proud of completing 181 reviews just now as a kindness to my future selfーとても眠いだけど、全部単語を見直しました!

2 Likes

shoutout to 50 days in a row of grammar study on bunpro! (really grateful i bought myself the year subscription!) confession: my review statistic is NEVER that high and usually 30-50% accuracy haha

3 Likes

little life update on the study log: 今は日本に住んでいます! Moving has been totally crazy and hectic so my language learning has taken a real backseat atm unfortunately ! My bunpro streak peaked at 65 days or so but was tragically lost RIP

in writing this post, i was going to say i’m happy to report my WK streak is still going strong at over 150 days but something’s happend to my script and now for some reason it says i missed a day in february when it didn’t before (so now my streak is somewhere in the 70s haha nevermind - still nothing to sneeze at!) very odd tho… but as you can see the last few weeks have been very few reviews!

hopefully when i’m more settled in (and have wifi at my apartment) i’ll be able to serve the crabigator once more!

3 Likes

just sat down to get my review count down to 0 for the first time in weeks - that took a looong time and wasn’t pretty haha

even though by the end of the day i’ll already be back up to around 100 reviews waiting for me, i’m still v proud to have done this session!

1 Like

another review session done ! it’s been nice maintaining the habit of WK while adapting to life changes - now my former habit of always getting down to 0 by the end of the day isn’t possible so 101 reviews are still waiting tonight, but it’s nice to be happy about the ones i can review ^-^

at some point i will want to get back into a more rigorous study routine and return to my old 0-by-bed rule! i currently have 270 bunpro reviews and i haven’t done grammar in days :o i’ve enrolled in a course which will be beginning soon (maybe that’ll be the push i need to rebuild my japanese study habits) but for now doing what i can is enough !

2 Likes

taking the good with the bad…

went on a holiday and didn’t do wanikani for a few days (first time in months that i’ve done that!) so my review count is the highest it’s ever been! but in other news, i beat the 1000 burned milestone!!

gonna sit down and try and work through some of these reviews and who knows? maybe i’ll burn some more!

in hindsight, knowing i wouldn’t be doing my reviews, i would have turned on holiday mode! so at least i know that for next time

1 Like

LONG TIME NO UPDATE!

Readjusting to life in a new country really put a pause on my japanese studies! but i am happy to report yesterday i got my first 0 review pile in ages!! what a good feeling ! excited to get back into the swing of learning japanese (((especially since i am IN japan now! no better time to learn!)))

really hoping to pick up an easy manga from a bookshop soon ^-^ and also begin a course again!

1 Like

another update from the land of level 24 (i can’t believe i’m on 94 days) – japanese studies are continuing at a turtle pace but today i got my first 0 since my last post; lots of 600+ review sessions over the last fews weeks and i’ve been using vacation mode like it’s nobody’s business

the temptation to go against my usual technique of learning vocabulary first then kanji just to get a little motivation boost from a level up is huge – but doing so would only push me deeper down the lessons pile (rn i only have 79 lessons waiting which isn’t too bad)

on the plus side:

since writing this, i have bought LOTS of manga in japanese (including volume 1 of ニューゲーム which is supposedly at my level AND i’ve already watched the anime so it’s familar to me!) as well as beginning a new course (albeit not having completed any of it even tho i’m 1.5 months in oops)

so, anyway, much the same news as my last post! still living the slow turtle life but at least i haven’t given up entirely! slow movin is still groovin !

Turtle GIF - Turtle - Discover & Share GIFs

2 Likes

second day in a row down to 0 reviews! hell yeah! and I’m rocking over 15k burned items!! sweet !

Cute Happy GIFs | Tenor

2 Likes

have I surpassed the 100 day mark being on level 24? yes.
do i still have 156 reviews to do? also yes.

BUT!

I had a good review session and i’m at 0 lessons for the first time in a billion years! hurray!

1 Like

DOUBLE ZEROS !!! what a good feeling !!! The end of the curse of level 24 is in sight and I am so ready for it !!! (and my percentages have been good - 83% on this review session!)

:sunny: :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

I have also begun my japanese course - though I am so behind, I’m sure I’ll have to ask for an extension. I’m excited to get back on top of WK so I can feel like one area of my japanese learning is under control so I can return to the other areas (bunpro and my 300+ reviews there are in the corner of the room watching meeeee)

but for now, I’m happy ^-^

2 Likes