~aい to ~eえ to in colloquial speech

Is there name or explanation for this type of muddling of sounds that occurs in colloquial speech?

面倒くさい → 面倒くせえ
What a bother. / What a pain the ass.

必要ない → 必要ねえ
No need.

Is it a dialect or something else?

2 Likes

It’s called slurring. It’s not a dialect, and it’s often used in male casual speech.

2 Likes

Sounds legit. Do you know of any source of the apparent rules for this type of slurring?

There’s this:

1 Like

This guide also covers many of the contractions you’ll also encounter in casual speech like ている->てる or ては->ちゃ, てしまう->ちゃう, etc.

3 Likes

That second resource is fantastic. It even has the aい to eぇ case specifically

2 Likes

There’s also おい to ええ.

1 Like

すげえ!:wink: 面白ぇ!

2 Likes

Holy shit, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for! :heart_eyes: I’ve been seeing a lot of contractions recently and wondering whether or not they were contractions.

2 Likes

Well, I dunno if “dialect” is precisely the right word, but it is actually a dialect called the Shitamachi dialect - by contrast, standard Japanese is the Yamanote dialect. Both are Tokyo dialects, but the Shitamachi area was generally composed of the lower classes, while the Yamanote area is where the nobles hung out.

2 Likes

よく分からねえ。 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, that was very insightful. I turned up this link that went into it a bit more.

2 Likes

From the TV tropes page:

The impression that the Japanese language has only one dialect is untrue.

Huh? Is that something people believe? Like… people who know anything about Japanese? I think a lot of anime fans who don’t actually know more than a few common phrases usually are aware of Kansai-ben, even if that would bring their count of known dialects to two…

Maybe I just haven’t met these people.

6 Likes

あの断言があぶねえ! :sweat_smile:

Let’s hope it’s not as common as the article made it out to be. I wasn’t under such an impression at least.

Sure, I understand the presence of those Tokyo dialects but my point was that the slurring there is not a dialect unto itself. Since I’ve heard the same thing done by Kansai speakers in variety shows as well. In anything Gaki no Tsukai, for example, you’ll hear numerous examples of the あい->えぇ used amongst the comedians.

1 Like

TV Tropes is crowd-sourced, like Wikipedia but less reliable. There’s tons of inaccuracies all over the site. :sweat_smile:

1 Like