鰐蟹Droid (WaniKani for Android)

Hi everyone!

This is an unofficial Android application for WaniKani.

I started this project half a year ago, but never had the time to continue development until last week.  This application is still early progress, but has the following features:

• Dashboard
  • Do reviews with auto-popup software keyboard (at least for me, the software keyboard never showed up automatically in the browser)
  • Notifications for new lessons and reviews
  • Recently Unlocked List (click on list item redirects to WaniKani Vocabulary/Kanji/Radical info page)
  • Critical Items List (also redirects to WaniKani)

There are still many things on my TODO list, but right now I think it is stable enough for doing some reviews :slight_smile:

It was tested on a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.

Current version: 0.4
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B59KkuyzR6ISbUkyLVNla2ROdGs/edit?usp=sharing

Changes since version 0.3:

• Reviews: fixed backspace (again). but now all keyboards should work
  • Reviews: it is now possible to look up last session performance (no reset anymore)
  • Reviews: data is refreshed automatically when review count changes
  • Dashboard: added radical/kanji progress bars for current level
Changes since version 0.2:
  • should fix app crash reported by Pixie and RoxyGet
  • Settings: automatically show information for reviews if available (multiple meanings, correct answer etc.)
  • Reviews: show always keyboard (you can now get the next review with enter)
  • General: added refresh button (refreshes data from WaniKani)
Changes since version 0.1:
  • Reviews: pressing back button redirects now to dashboard instead of closing app
  • Reviews: backspace is working again, but dictionary suggestions from the keyboard are broken (I’m not sure if I can fix that since the backspace issue is a bug in the stock Android browser).
  • Notifications: review notification is removed if clicked
  • Settings: disable bold fonts for review items (I prefer not bold Kanji, but that depends on the font used)
  • Settings: skip correct reviews and immediately request next review if no additional info is displayed (multiple meanings etc.)

If you have any suggestions or bug reports please let me know!

I have a Nexus 4 running the most recent Paranoid Android. I’ll let you know how it goes! And Let me know if you need it tested on any other roms…

This is amazing. Full stop. I just did my reviews on my Galaxy Nexus and the keyboard fix makes a huge difference.

Now we just need a documented API for reviews and lessons so you can implement them natively instead of embedding a web widget.

Suggestions:
- Make the review widget return to the main menu when you hit ‘back’. I see that swiping left does it, but it’s not intuitive because the tab bar disappears; if you make “back” do that and have it slide in, it will hint at the swipe behavior.
- Auto dismiss the reviews notification when you click on it, if there are no more reviews (instead of having to swipe it away separately).

Bugs:
- Delete (backspace) in the review answer box doesn’t work unless you tap on the box.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, how do I get the file to work? I downloaded it from my HTC Desire S, but when I press either option “Package installer” or “Verify and install”, they both say: “Parse error - There is a problem parsing the package.”

Simply not compatible with my phone? I’m having a lot of incompatibility issues lately, it seems. Looking at you, Memrise App shakes fist

@Pixie: what Android version do you have? Currently only Android 4.0 or higher is supported.

@marcan: Thanks! Already put it on my TODO list :slight_smile:

marcan said..Bugs:
- Delete (backspace) in the review answer box doesn't work unless you tap on the box.
 Hm. Works fine for me (on the Samsung Galaxy Tab mentioned in the OP). 
Maybe this is a Keyboard issue? I'm using Hacker's Keyboard with everything auto- (completion etc) disabled.

I would like an option to have the keyboard up all the me during reviews, but you still have to select the bar to type, so it doesn’t give me the up down window thing.

ma42 said... @Pixie: what Android version do you have? Currently only Android 4.0 or higher is supported.
 Wow, 4.0 huh? @_@ *glances at measly 2.3.5* *sneaks out of back door*

@Time: I don’t really understand what you mean. The keyboard should automatically pop up as soon as you get to the review page. It should also pop up as soon as a review is shown (the input box is available).

ma42 said... @Time: I don't really understand what you mean. The keyboard should automatically pop up as soon as you get to the review page. It should also pop up as soon as a review is shown (the input box is available).
 So it only is popping up after I select the box to write in(which makes the scren kinda go up and down so it's harder to see the kanji, also I do do my reviews horizontally so that might be why it bounces) and then goes away after I click the heart.
aina said...
marcan said..Bugs:
- Delete (backspace) in the review answer box doesn't work unless you tap on the box.
 Hm. Works fine for me (on the Samsung Galaxy Tab mentioned in the OP). 
Maybe this is a Keyboard issue? I'm using Hacker's Keyboard with everything auto- (completion etc) disabled.
I get that issue too, tried with Hacker Keyboard (autocomplete/correct options disabled) on Samsung Galaxy S2 (android 4.1.2). Otherwise this is really cool, will be using this from now on :)
Pixie said...
ma42 said... @Pixie: what Android version do you have? Currently only Android 4.0 or higher is supported.
To be fair, for most intents and purposes 3.x never existed :P

There's an official 4.0 update for your phone, though:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/31/htc-desire-s-ice-cream-sandwich-update-now-available/

I’d love to use this when it goes to Play!  I really enjoy using my Android tablet.

jdmoncada said... I'd love to use this when it goes to Play!  I really enjoy using my Android tablet.
 You can also download the apk file from the link and try it out now! :-)

Time said...
ma42 said...@Time: I don't really understand what you mean. The keyboard should automatically pop up as soon as you get to the review page. It should also pop up as soon as a review is shown (the input box is available).
 So it only is popping up after I select the box to write in(which makes the scren kinda go up and down so it's harder to see the kanji, also I do do my reviews horizontally so that might be why it bounces) and then goes away after I click the heart.
 Ah. OK I will look into it as soon as I have some more reviews to do (I never tried doing reviews in landscape).
ma42 said...
jdmoncada said... I'd love to use this when it goes to Play!  I really enjoy using my Android tablet.
 You can also download the apk file from the link and try it out now! :-)

Time said...
ma42 said...@Time: I don't really understand what you mean. The keyboard should automatically pop up as soon as you get to the review page. It should also pop up as soon as a review is shown (the input box is available).
 Ah. OK I will look into it as soon as I have some more reviews to do (I never tried doing reviews in landscape).
 Thanks!

Thanks for making this!  I’ve only used it for a moment so far (since i have my PC right here) but I cant wait to try it more at work.

about the backspace…  i have this problem when i use WK on my phone in my browser (dolphin) and my keyboard is Go Keyboard.  It suddenly happened one day and it drives me nuts.  I don’t know why it changed.  :(  Anyway I dunno yet if it happens in this app but I’ll be sure to find out soon enough

OK it seems the backspace problem is a bug in the Android stock browser (Android 4.2 and maybe earlier).  
I found a solution for that.  I will post a new version after I fixed some other things.

marcan said...
Pixie said...
To be fair, for most intents and purposes 3.x never existed :P

There's an official 4.0 update for your phone, though:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/31/htc-desire-s-ice-cream-sandwich-update-now-available/

Oh man, thanks a lot for finding this out for me! Downloading 4.0 has solved ALL of the compatibility issues I've been having lately! *wallows in plethora of new apps*

Unfortunately though, I'm still having a few problems with the WaniKani app. It's downloaded fine, and I've entered my API key, but now every time I open it, it says "Unfortunately, 鰐蟹Droid has stopped." Argh, curse being useless at understanding technology. ;o;

this app makes me so happy! somehow I can backspace again!! yay! now if only it could pick t9 automatically for meanings :slight_smile:

It's downloaded fine, and I've entered my API key, but now every time I open it, it says "Unfortunately, 鰐蟹Droid has stopped."
 Same issue that I am experiencing. Hopefully it can easily be fixed so I can try out this app!

Thank you for making an app for Android! I can't wait to use it.