魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 8

I kind of fell off several chapters ago :see_no_evil: but I’m still making the threads, I don’t mind ^^ I like reading your questions and comments too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to set up the threads! :grinning:

1 Like

もちろん!^^

Oh glad it wasn’t just me!
This felt like a whole different league than the previous chapter O_o
Didn’t help that I was reading on a train without the vocabulary list.

But when reading the Swedish version after I felt I had understood more than I realized. But once you are under the 80/20 you feel completely lost! ^^;

But anyway, images from the Swedish book:

3 Likes

Nice pictures! Also, why did I post that ひつじねこ picture? I don’t even remember the context. :sweat_smile:

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 14) Starts Here!

Chapter 8 Part 1

V1: Pages 178 - 189
V2: Pages 161 - 171
BookWalker: ?

Last line:
キキはまだうたがっていましたが、でもにっこり笑っていいました。
「はい、かしこまりました」

3 October 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

4 Likes

Wow, I really made it… I’m now reading along! :partying_face: And I don’t plan to fall behind again!
Thank you for the break, it gave me a lot of motivation to push myself and catch up!

11 Likes

Hey everybody, glad to hear some other folks have caught up…

Just read the first two pages on this cool autumn night and wanted to post 2 quick questions.

Near the end of the passage describing the wind is,
また角にぶつかってくるせいでしょうか
And I’m unsure of what the せい is doing here. Could anybody clarify?

Additionally, then there’s this sentence

寒くなると、人はあまりきが回らなくなるのでしょうか、それともよけいなことはしないですまそうとするのでしょうか

I’m very lost after the second comma. When’s it cold, people stop paying attention to small things, and…they don’t do things they don’t need?

A sentence parser is telling me that すまそうとする here is doing the to とする trying/attempting thing with the 済ます verb which whilst i just began studying i have little context for. Could somebody help me out after the second comma?

Thanks !

1 Like

I have the feeling that you have already answered your own question. Putting everything together I would say that people try to get things done without doing unnecesary things.

Alright, right back to it, then! Looks like we’ve got about 11 pages to go through this week. Should be pretty easy. Four days of 2, one day of 3.

From pages 1-2 of Ch. 8:

• 風はコンクリートの建物の角にぶつかり、また角にぶつかってくるせいでしょうか、ふくときは刃物のようにするどく、かと思うと、ぱったりとまり、また急にふきはじめるのです。- If you’re anything like me, your brain shut off several times while trying to read this. Let me see if I can break it down correctly, section by section. (The wind collides with the corners of the concrete buildings), (Maybe it’s the fault of it coming and colliding with the corners again), (When the wind blows, it’s sharp like a knife), (And just then), (Suddenly it stops), (Again, suddenly begins blowing again). So, all together, I would read it as "The wind crashes against the corners of the concrete buildings, and maybe because of it colliding with those corners the times the wind blows, it’s sharp as a knife. Then, just like that, the wind will abruptly stop, before suddenly picking right back up again.

山々 - Jisho has nothing for this, but DeepL puts it as ‘greatly’ or ‘many mountains’. I’m assuming it’s the latter.

I read it as a question with two choices. Like, “When it gets cold, do people stop paying paying attention to the little things, or do they not go overboard on tasks?”

3 Likes

Jisho does have this word, but there seem to be some connection issues leading to jisho showing the „nothing found“ page… if you try reloading it should show up.

1 Like

It’s really kind of reassuring seeing that seanblue had troubles with the long おばあちゃん talk, too. :grin: I didn’t really get much out of it either, but the summary by @Kyasurin and some re-reading helped a lot. :+1:

It’s outcome, result, consequence, Jisho
So, I think it’s very roughly Maybe it’s because [the wind] is striking against the corners again?

3 Likes

I think of it as “on account of,” which makes terrible sounding English, but it’s easier to just plop into a literal translation: Maybe the wind is so sharp on account of it coming at me after having crashed into the corners of concrete buildings… and then crashed into corners again, she thought, just as the wind completely stopped, but then it started right back up again.. I think she’s trying to understand the winds’ motivation for being so mean to her–basically, it’s cranky from getting battered by buildings

1 Like

Just a minor thing, but I believe the “かと思うと” there isn’t literally a thought, but a grammar point meaning “just as”, or “no sooner than”.

https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-かとおもったらかとおもうと-ka-to-omottaraka-to-omou-to/

3 Likes

Double post time! Gotta keep on readin’.

So, is it just me, or has this chapter been tougher than average? I’m only four pages in thus far, but I’ve been running into a lot of stuff that takes a few reads, or sends me off to Jisho. Maybe it’s just me. Anyway, rereading pages 3-4:

• キキはつぎつぎコキリさんのやっていたことを思い出しながらも、どれ一つとして、正確におぼえていないのです。- Is she talking about not perfectly recalling practical witch things, or just memories of doing things with Kokiri in general?

• どれ、どれ、ほんとだ。- Anyone know what the どれs are doing here? This doesn’t literally translate well.

• ふつうの猫でわるうございました。- This one had me stumped. There’s an explanation up in reply #10, though. It’s the same transformation that はやい goes through to become おはようございます

1 Like

Second definition here? https://jisho.org/word/何れ何れ

2 Likes

This made sense when you first said it, but then I went back to the sentence, and it stopped making sense: “as soon as…” What? Actually, I noticed that there’s no verb before that かと思うと, there’s just an adverb hanging there. Is it normal to just end a clause with an adverb? Or is there an implied verb?

What sense do you make of this clause, from the first page of the chapter:

そのたびにかんたんなつくりなキキのみせは、 小さな声を上げて揺らました
Here’s what I’ve got:
そのたびに each time (I assume the wind blew, as that was the previous sentence)
かんたんな a simple
つくり make, build
キキの店 Kiki’s shop

Each time (the wind blew), Kiki’s simply built store sent up a quavering little sound. ???

1 Like

I read it as the shop making noise (creaks, howls, whatever) when it shook due to the strong winds.
Didn’t she move her shop into what was essentially a flour storage room or something? I can’t remember at all, lol.

Yeah, I feel like it’s a harder chapter, too. Especially later on when the talkative おばあちゃん appears.

1 Like

I have the usual feelings I get when reading Kiki - eh, this speech pattern isn’t so bad…
few pages later
Oh, wait. It is bad after all.

But so far my questions had already been answered during the previous discussion.
(And unfortunately, I’m not sure enough to reply to any recent questions that still don’t have a solution.)

3 Likes