魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 3

I rather took it that he did not want to lose out against Kiki who made a big fuss in front of the mirror.

This is used in a positive sense here:

もうすこし - a bit more
足が見えた - legs are visible
ほうがすてきだ - prettier
とおもうわ - I think

It would be prettier if one could see more of my legs, though.

6 Likes

Eh, it’s probably different in this context because Kiki is disagreeing with her mother here.

Totally not sure but maybe “Oh, you (Kiki) have something (well thought out/ substantial) to say as well”

1 Like

Well, yes, but (I just checked) it’s the father saying that line. He is more into “modernizing” witches, if I remember correctly. So he is surprised and/or happy that his daughter shares his views.
(That being said, he is basically just saying 相槌 during the whole conversation, so his lines can be safely ignored :p)

Edit: but even then your interpretation works as well. Thinking out loud, but やるじゃないか would be “well done”, so it would make sense that いうじゃないか would mean “well said”.
but then why も

4 Likes

can indicate surprise

But then it would imply that she usually does not make good points, which sounds a bit harsh. If anything, I think it would make more sense if it implied instead that the mother made a good point just before. :thinking:
It’s too late to think at the moment. I’m just going to sleep on it.

For what it’s worth, here’s how the English releases handled the line:

Release Line
Japanese 「ほう、キキもいうじゃないか」 オキノさんが大げさに目をまるくしました。
English (2003) “Well, I guess our Kiki doesn’t lack for spirit,” chuckled Okino.
English (2020) “Oh! That’s quite a declaration.” Okino’s eyes widened dramatically.

(The 2003 release takes a lot of liberties in its translation.)

7 Likes

Perhaps he feels his wife’s statement was well said (which makes sense as he’s a researcher of the traditions she holds), but he’s saying that Kiki also has made a well said statement.

4 Likes

Ah, that makes much more sense on both accounts. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

With all due respect, translations like that from 2003 are one of the reasons why I’m learning Japanese and approaching the source material :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I agree completely. Even the new translation, which is very well done from what I’ve read so far, has some inexplicable changes (such as removing a mention of marriage) that cause vagueness in meaning in the translation where the original was quite clear.

If I want the story to be vague and to differ from how it was originally written, I want it to be by my own insufficient understanding of Japanese that’s causing it! =D

9 Likes
Release Line
Japanese 「ほう、キキもいうじゃないか」 オキノさんが大げさに目をまるくしました。
English (2003) “Well, I guess our Kiki doesn’t lack for spirit,” chuckled Okino.
English (2020) “Oh! That’s quite a declaration.” Okino’s eyes widened dramatically.
English 2 (2037) “Zamn Kiki, that’s fretch as hell!” Okino yeeted.

I know what you’re thinking, but the use of ‘yote’ as anything but the past-perfect tense of yeet falls out of fashion in the early '30s.

12 Likes

Thank goodness, these last two pages were easier to read. If the whole book were like the two pages before these, I probably wouldn’t make it to the end. Still, even if it’s comparatively a break, it’s not like I understood it perfectly. Time for some discussion.

My questions from pages 5-6 of chapter 3:

• ややっこしい話はそのくらいにして。- What does the そのくらいにして here mean?

• ぱんと手をたたいて立ち上がりました。- ぱんと isn’t in the vocabulary. I’m assuming ぱんと is an onomatopoeia, and it’s not that he’s doing these things with bread. Though, I’ve taken to assuming that if I forget what an adverb is and it begins with a p-sound, it usually means ‘suddenly’.

• オキノさんがぼそぼそいうことばを軽くかわして、コキリさんはまた立ち働き始めました。- “Kokiri had a light exchange with Okino’s mumbled words, and then began going about her work again”? That is, in this case 軽くかわして would be referring to a brief or brisk exchange before moving on to the more important task?

• 「わかったわ、かあさん。あたし、だいじょうぶよ。心配しないで」- No, I don’t have a question here, I just want to point out how nice it feels to come across a line you can read quickly and confidently all the way through the first time.

5 Likes

“Let’s stop here”; obviously not a direct translation.
にする is a pattern that indicates a decision. (It’s apparently N4, based on a quick googling).
そのくらい is simply “to that extent”, i.e. let’s make it that much → let’s not go any further → let’s stop here.

It’s the sound of a clap. He is clapping his hands… with a clap. (That does sound redundant in English, but the Japanese version makes you “hear” it as if you were there; it adds vividness to the action, at least for me).

Something like that. I wouldn’t say “important” per se, but actual work anyway.

It does feel nice :grin:

6 Likes

Hoo boy. Maybe it’s how slowly I had to read it, or maybe it’s just where I am in life, but these next two pages hit me hard. It’s actually been about a year since I left my family to live off on my own. I got a little teary eyed reading that. More than a little, maybe.

9 Likes

@Sharpevil I agree:) They were really touching. I thought it was so cute when Kiki asked her dad to throw her up in the air one last time, and then then he staggers a bit under her weight.

Two questions for the hive mind:
そんな世間、魔女が生きのこってこれたのは、ふつうの人たちともしつもたれつ生きようって、気持ちを変えたからなのよ。

My general interpretation is something along the lines of: That world, the witches able to survive had to do a constant give and take with normal humans, because feelings changed. On the micro level, I’m not clear what nuance てこれた is adding to the part about witches who survive. On the macro, the final part 気持ちを変えたからなのよ doesn’t quite make sense to me as to how it relates the rest of the sentence.

Next up:
でもキキ、めんどくさがって、おちつくところをいいかげんに決めちゃだめよ。

My attempt at breaking it down

I think I actually figured this one out was I was typing it out, but I’ll leave my breakdown for other’s and just to check I got it right.

でもキキ = But Kiki
めんどくさがって = To find bothersome
おちつくところを = settle-down place (this was tripping me up, as I was first reading it as calm down)
いいかげんに = half hearted way
決めちゃだめよ= To decide is bad

So “But Kiki, you might find it bothersome but it would bad if you decided where to settle down in a half hearted way”

I’m really pleased at how much my comprehension is improving overall - I still have to re-read and look up a lot of things, but I was able to skim over the last section of this week’s pages last night and understand about 70% of what was going on. Progress! Planning to do close-reading of those last pages the next couple of days. It’s amazing how things will just suddenly click when you read them over the next day.

5 Likes

Shockingly, I don’t have any questions nor any more comments regarding pages 7 and 8 of the chapter. It’s pretty straightforward, and serves as a reminder to call your parents, if you’re still have the opportunity.

Onto the next two pages then.

7 Likes

There is a kanji I can’t find on p. 42-36: 動物の?中. Can anybody help?

Looks like 背中 (せなか) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have a question. In the old spread sheet you can find words like 承知する, whereas on jisho you only get the noun, not the する form. Shall we correct them or leave them as it is?
Edit: Same with adverbs (I guess they would be adverbs) with と like for example ぽつりと, which in the dictionary I am using you only find without と.
I have been correcting some of this words in the new spreadsheet, but I wonder if we should leave them the way they are. That’s why I’m asking.

1 Like