魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 3

Did I… Do my math wrong? I must have. The new section starts tomorrow evening, and yet I have four pages remaining. Well, I suppose it’s nothing that can’t be fixed by reading four pages tonight. Feels like I’ve been a bit lazy, but I’ll give myself a pass on account of the illness.

From pages 9-10 of this week’s section:

• ジジはものたりなさそうです。- Is this saying Jiji likely wasn’t satisfied?

• 四角や三角の高い建物 - Triangular buildings? Am I misunderstanding, or does this town just have some weirdly shaped buildings?

And that’s it for these pages. Mostly pretty comprehensible.

I hadn’t shared this one yet because it’s from the back of the book, but I think chapter 3 is a fitting place for it.

Town

8 Likes

Huh. There aren’t many, but there’s definitely some.

Thank you for the tip. I didn’t know about it and seems very useful.

2 Likes

I would rather say Jiji looked unsatisfied or Jiji seemed to be unsatisfied, but these are probably just nuances in the English.

If you’d like to double-check, here is the grammar point: https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/how-to-express-judgments/#1

困る rather has the meaning of “I’m worried” or “this is troubling me”.

5 Likes

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 5) Starts Here!

Chapter 3 Part 3

V1: Pages 59 - 70
V2: Pages 51 - 61
BookWalker: 3?

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 3 this week.

25 July 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

2 Likes

Keeping up with pregaming the vocab is getting rough. I’ve started removing vocabulary from my personal anki deck once it hits 1 month. I’m already spending more time studying the vocabulary than reading the book!

Speaking of the book, it’s been mostly smooth sailing, but the last 4 pages of the 2nd section of Chapter 3 were rough. I’d say it’s the second time so far I’ve been in serious danger of losing the plot. Maybe being as dizzied by the onslaught of people chattering as Kiki just adds to the immersion, though. Hopefully a good reread and some questions should clear things back up.

From the last 4 pages of week 4:

• おじゃまさせていただくって、このコリコにかい? - This is the first line that threw me. I get that Koriko is the name of the town, but I just can’t parse the rest. Particularly the にかい.

• 町にひとりぐらいはいるもんだって、むかしからいいますけどねえ。今までいなくっても、どうってことありませんでしたねえ。- This is another one I couldn’t parse on my own. With some mechanical help, I get the understanding that she’s saying It’s been said since long ago that a town will have one witch, but they haven’t had one up until now and nothing bad’s come of it., right?

• でも、めんどうはごめんですよ - I understand this to mean But, (I/we) don’t want any trouble. But is this a specific turn of phrase, or can はごめんです be used in other contexts?

• まあ、ごかってに - And the very next line. Is this someone flippantly telling Kiki to just do whatever she likes? Is the ご making it more impersonal instead of more polite?

• ひとり暮らしのお年寄りとあやとりをしてあげたり - This one tripped me up at first, because I kept trying to read “ひとり暮らしのお年” as “The year spent living alone” without realizing “お年寄り” meant “elderly person”.

Alright. A second go through made that a lot easier. Now, to finish the chapter.

In a week, of course. Looks like I’ve got… About 12 pages to go. Excellent, it’s even got a built in cheat day.

2 Likes

おじゃまさせていただくって = “Sorry for the intrusion” (and you probably already know in this context it has a meaning of her also wanting to stay in the town)
このコリコに + かい? = you mean here in Koriko?

You got it right.

町にひとりぐらいはいるもんだって = there being one in each town
むかしからいいますけどねえ = has been said from long ago
今までいなくっても = there being no one until now
どうってことありませんでしたねえ。= it wasn’t a big deal

Yes, you can generalize it to Xははごめん, but めんどうはごめん is a particularly common usage.

Yes, correct, it does. But it can be also easygoing and casual (they just don’t care enough), it doesn’t need to be very rude depending on how they said it.
The ご is more of a usual addition to such phrases. It doesn’t have to be polite, although, that’s its original intent.

5 Likes

The かい is this one:

(Additional info)

4 Likes

@Sharpevil I feel you on the vocab… On the flip side, I’ve learnt so much, so going to try to keep it up. I’m treating it as my personal 2kish deck and dropping any other SRS I was doing (except wanikani, but that’s not too bad because I reset from level 30 back a year long break, so mostly re-learning stuff). It is much more motivating than the more generic ones. But yeah… tough. I will signal that later chapters have a lot of repeat vocab from previous chapters - I’ve been manually filtering out duplicates as much as possible for my memrise course and deleted about 60+ words from chapter 6 (based off old vocab sheet). So hopefully that will help… I guess worst case scenario, it might turning into post-learning vocabulary!

Just read through Kiki’s first encounter with the villagers. I felt so bad for her! Will come back with questions later, but thought I’d flag that there is an extensive breakdown of the villager conversation from the first book club starting at post 107, which I found really helpful.

1 Like

Was only able to get a couple of pages knocked out this weekend. First sentence kind of destoryed my motivation right from the start if someone doesn’t mind refining what I have below to make sense:

First sentence this week:

どこを どう歩いたのか、

where (and?) how should I walk,

あちこち うろついている うちに、

currently mixed up going aimlessy through houses

狭い通りにきていました。

came to a narrow alley.

How/Were should I walk, currently going aimlessly through houses, came to a narrow alley?

Technically where and how did she walk, but used to indicate she didn’t pay attention to the way/direction in which she walked. This part is talking about キキ being in shock from last week.

while wandering around here and there

she came to a small alley.

6 Likes

That’s a long time to remain in shock!

9 Likes

:rofl:
Now I’m imagining her frozen in place while we aren’t reading. Pretty much the opposite of a quantum observer.

7 Likes

Maybe that is what actually happens in the quantum world. I feel bad for unconscious beings now.

7 Likes

I guess we encountered a case of Schrödinger’s キキ here.

12 Likes

As I work my way through chapter 3 (trying to get ahead for the week rather than keep falling behind), this weekend I’ve been reading both the Japanese and the new English release, taking turns being one paragraph ahead in each as I go. It’s helping me to catch things I missed (when reading Japanese then English) and to quickly grasp things (when reading English then Japanese).

I’m really enjoying this newer English release, but sometimes there are translations that make me glad I’m reading the source material. It’s also interesting to compare with the older English release.

For example:

Language Sentence
Japanese 「わー、やったあっ」 キキは思わず友だちにいうようにさけんでしまいました。
English (2003) Without thinking, Kiki exclaimed, “Wow! I did it!,” forgetting for a moment that she wasn’t talking to her friends back home.
English (2020) “Wonderful!” Kiki shouted.
11 Likes

That 2020 translation is just lazy.

15 Likes

Saturdays off is just a thing now. No biggie, 6 days is more than enough for 12 pages.

Questions from pages 1-2 of this week’s section:

…Is what I would say if I had any. It was pretty straightforward this time! I sure am anxious for something nice to happen to Kiki, though.

6 Likes

I have nothing to currently contribute besides that I’m finally caught up with the group fully and will be able to be confused about these chapters alongside everybody else. I feel a great relief and I hope to stay caught up the rest of the way. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

だんだんだね

11 Likes